Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
lol this game is mwo but with tiny mans? crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
No but it is a fun lie.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Things just target parts, sadly. No interstitial collisions.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
So you can literally take an arrow to the knee?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Server is up all night tonight for anyone interested

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
actually going to try this game tonight after having pledged who knows how long ago now.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Ugh, it is an archer spam fest. It’s hard to test when you are try to heal and are dead in 15 seconds due to unlimited range and seemingly unmissable shots.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I want this poo poo to happen so I can drop cash on it

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Archer range is around 100m, longer for the alb archers. You can actually dodge arrows if you use sprint unless they tag you with a slow arrow.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is it actually fun to play or is combat janky

is it ever actually coming out

what faction are yall wanting to do

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Camelot Unchained sounds like a dumpster fire in its current state. There are only a handful of beta phases before the games official launch, so maybe in the next year? I would just wait.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Camelot Unchained sounds like a dumpster fire in its current state. There are only a handful of beta phases before the games official launch, so maybe in the next year? I would just wait.

I'd imagine it'll be at least two years of beta phases. Don't see this coming out before 2020. I know they say 2019 but I really doubt it unless they have significantly more classes/races implemented behind the scenes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

eonwe posted:

is it actually fun to play or is combat janky

is it ever actually coming out

what faction are yall wanting to do

no, yes

yes, but not for a while after they expect, probably

my answer to this is almost entirely predicated on post-launch classes so whatever

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is Albion still the faction of buttwing demons and furrys?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

It looks far more advanced than Shroud of the Avatar even in it's current state (since we're speaking of dumpster fires). I'm also going to simply wait but I think it has at least some promise.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
It's looking solid but that isn't enough. They need to justify why this is worth paying a subscription fee and how they'll sell people on it up against Crowfall which is similar in premise and has the benefit of being buy2play. I've seen a lot of people say that they're willing to pay a subscription fee and maybe they are but there's not enough of them that hate cosmetics and small XP buffs to sustain this one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would pay a sub fee for this at launch because I love Dark Age of Camelot and having that game with modern day quality of life mechanics would be great. One thing that worries me though is that I read Camelot Unchained is going to have virtually no PvE?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Bait and Swatch posted:

Ugh, it is an archer spam fest. It’s hard to test when you are try to heal and are dead in 15 seconds due to unlimited range and seemingly unmissable shots.

It really is the spiritual successor to DAoC. Always remember to /face

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

I would pay a sub fee for this at launch because I love Dark Age of Camelot and having that game with modern day quality of life mechanics would be great. One thing that worries me though is that I read Camelot Unchained is going to have virtually no PvE?

I hope it has ZERO PvE.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Funny, I call my battles against Stanley Pain PvE

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Stanley Pain posted:

I hope it has ZERO PvE.

i was hoping warhammer was gonna be like this and was super disappointed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I liked the PvE in Dark Age of Camelot, and Warhammer. :sigh:

Orv
May 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I liked the PvE in Dark Age of Camelot, and Warhammer. :sigh:

hosed up if true.

(Public Quests are actually super cool and I'm glad most MMOs have co-opted them since.)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Not having any pve is good in theory, but so far nobody has shown how to have level disparity and also fairness. Pvp demands a certain level of fairness, where both sides have inherent/passive values that are the same or very close, leaving only player skill to be the deciding factor.

DAoC made it clear that RvR is a max level activity, only later adding battlegrounds as an alternative to pve, but you didn't get nearly as much xp and it took until trials of atlantis to have battlegrounds for each level bracket. WAR did a little better, but it was clear that those at the high end of each bracket had a big passive advantage over those at the bottom. GW2 did a little better as well, bumping everyone to max level in wvwvw, but didn't address the disparity in gear.

It isn't clear to me how this game is going to approach the problem.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Of all of those, I liked how Warhammer did it the best. I enjoyed the instanced PvP while leveling up, and then at the end game doing the open world PvP and attacking fortresses was a lot of fun. Warhammer also had some really good PvE content with public quests, dungeons, and raids. That was a good MMO and i'm sad it's no longer around.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

I said come in! posted:

Of all of those, I liked how Warhammer did it the best. I enjoyed the instanced PvP while leveling up, and then at the end game doing the open world PvP and attacking fortresses was a lot of fun. Warhammer also had some really good PvE content with public quests, dungeons, and raids. That was a good MMO and i'm sad it's no longer around.

It had the worst balance of any MMO probably ever. WAR died for a reason.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
What kind of balance issues did WAR had? Because for the brief time I played I found that both sides had exactly the same abilities available... just mixed up a bit and given to different classes.

There shouldn't be levels in a true PVP game... gaining extra realm abilities (in the form of boons and banes) and better gear should be enough.
What was the fun in instajibbing a grey con enemy? (it WAS fun, kinda...)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't recall the balance in WAR being bad at all. I remember having a lot of fun with PvP and never really getting frustrated with leveling or playing the game in general. I am not sure why it died but I stand by how I wish it hadnt. I just assume it was very expensive to keep the IP going.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Balance in war was really bad

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Game balance was pretty horrible. The concept of each side has the same abilities just on different classes is nice in theory but in practice it worked more like Destruction needs 5 classes to bring the best abilities while Order needs 2 (specifically Bright Wizards were unbalanced as hell, and I think the Bright Wizard/War Priest combo was the biggest problem but my memory might be a bit off there). In practice for the most part the combination of abilities on Order classes synergized better than Destruction and the 1v1 balance for the mirrors was favored for Order. On top of that Destruction had more population so the devs idea to balance that was to buff the power of the Order classes, so now you had a combo of already stronger classes with bigger numbers to counteract the population advantage of Destruction, which again in theory isn't a terrible idea, just it really only affected massive RvR battles where Destruction had the numbers advantage, anything smaller scale was in favor of Order. This also had an effect on the battlegrounds balancing.

Then they made a ton of other mistakes as far as the reward structure for doing pvp, it was way faster to gain renown doing Battlegrounds initially so to counter that they raised the amount you got from taking RvR objectives, while not really increasing the amount you got from actually battling in RvR. So the last time I played a couple years after launch it was basically groups of zergs ignoring each other as they circled the RvR lakes retaking Keeps and objectives. Essentially the game became RvE with very little pvp.

There were a lot of other problems with WAR as well, it was a tragically flawed game with a ton of good ideas that just had poor execution in general. Terrible server lag (mythic seconds), weird animation glitches years into release, splitting the population with the ridiculous server mirroring shortly after launch.

That said it really did some things well, some of the class designs were great (Shaman is my favorite healing class ever), the early 1-20 pvp lakes were actually pretty fun before the imbalances really started to take hold. Public Quests obviously have become fairly standard in mmos now, the Grimoire was really cool too and surprised it didn't gain more traction in other mmos.

I suspect it died in part because EA was expecting something on the order of WoW money buckets and when it didn't reach those numbers they had no desire to keep it going, I think there may have been some issues with GW as well that wouldn't let them make it a f2p game when that was the way most other non WoW mmos were going. It's too bad because their was so much potential there and I do think a couple years after launch it was a much better game and might have been able to turn it around had they had more support from EA/GW.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

i was hoping warhammer was gonna be like this and was super disappointed.

:same:

Third World Reggin posted:

Balance in war was really bad

Nope.

Orv posted:

hosed up if true.

(Public Quests are actually super cool and I'm glad most MMOs have co-opted them since.)

Yup.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Evernoob posted:

What kind of balance issues did WAR had? Because for the brief time I played I found that both sides had exactly the same abilities available... just mixed up a bit and given to different classes.

There shouldn't be levels in a true PVP game... gaining extra realm abilities (in the form of boons and banes) and better gear should be enough.
What was the fun in instajibbing a grey con enemy? (it WAS fun, kinda...)

Imagine being able to kill someone with one button.

Now imagine you could do it with out line of sight.

Now imagine it was AoE.

That was Bright Wizards and Sorcerers.

The ability coefficients were all sorts of hosed up.
Ability damage was Base + (${Mulitplier} x AbilityScore)

But they didn't adjust for cast time, if a spell was AoE vs Single target, if it had multiple effects or anything. The base multipliers were set by class and some classes had insane multipliers, and some had basically no multipliers. It was like classes were designed by different teams who didn't have any coordination as to what the "power curve" was going to be.

The end result was classes that were AoEing for ten to twenty times damage of other DPS classes single target damage.

Also about half of the Crowd Control abilities weren't flagged as such. So plenty of them weren't setting immunity timers or were ignoring them.

Also it took almost TWO YEARS for them to investigate a couple of stacking problems that caused Warrior and Bright Wizard combos to stack 100% damage resist. The only way you could kill them was to knockback them away from each other.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You absolutely needed line of sight for anything unless you were actively exploiting via cheat programs.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

You absolutely needed line of sight for anything unless you were actively exploiting via cheat programs.

Except ground target AoEs. It was a hold over from DAoC where GTAoEs were bad and never used.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There was also the issue of while the classes were mirrored each side but had a unique spin on the mechanics that lopsided things. For example the Bright Wizards and Sorceress’, they both had to balance a heat mechanic that damaged them if they cast too much but Sorceress’ took the damage up front while Bright Wizards took half up front and the other half as a stacking DoT. That let Bright Wizards stand longer and dish out a lot more with a pocket healer. On the opposite side was Magus’ and Engineers, the Engineers basic damage skill was a decent damage single attack while the Magus’ had a weaker frontal cone attack. AE didn’t need LoS so they could spam the attack at a keep door and destroy clustered groups trying to get in. Witch Hunters we’re straight up superior to Witch Elves since the hunters traded in much of a rogues stealth abilities for longer range engagement abilities and better sustain.

And that doesn’t get into the game shipping with two classes missing from each side with Destruction missing two tanks and Order missing two dps.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 18, 2018

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And that doesn’t get into the game shipping with two classes missing from each side with Destruction missing two tanks and Order missing two dps.

What were the missing classes again? Wasn't it Hammerer (DPS) which became Slayer (I mained a Hammerer throughout the beta so it was weird having them not go live), and Knight of the Blazing Sun (tank) for order. Choppa (ork dps) and the dark elf tank for Destruction. So one of each for both?

I can't speak to balance as I didn't make it to 40 in release. I kept making too many alts. I know AEing the door was a holdover from DAOC. My thane used to be able to target the door and AE with his hammer spell hitting everything nearby but it didn't do much more than tickle the enemy unless I got a bunch of others including runemasters to join in. And there were always the PBAE gank groups who would sprint up to a clump of people sieging a keep, AOE down the bulk of them, and then run away.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Xae posted:

Except ground target AoEs. It was a hold over from DAoC where GTAoEs were bad and never used.

That was fixed in beta if I'm not mistaken. You couldn't ground target AoEs without LOS @ launch or shortly after.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

bagrada posted:

What were the missing classes again? Wasn't it Hammerer (DPS) which became Slayer (I mained a Hammerer throughout the beta so it was weird having them not go live), and Knight of the Blazing Sun (tank) for order. Choppa (ork dps) and the dark elf tank for Destruction. So one of each for both?

Huh, you’re right. For some reason I was thinking that the missing classes were asymmetrical with Knights of the Blazing Sun being in at release.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

That was fixed in beta if I'm not mistaken. You couldn't ground target AoEs without LOS @ launch or shortly after.

They changed it to "You must be able to position your camera to see it". So you could zoom out and pan your camera to see up and down stairs and then AoE the area. Or clip the camera into walls or buildings and AoE through them.

It was buggy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

So when’s beta 1?