Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

bagrada posted:

I loved DAOC until the engine ended up feeling old and painful. I loving love the classes and races they have planned out for this game. I freaking hate the landmark/minecraft build stuff they spent so much time on (but I'm an apparently rare weirdo that doesn't like minecraft/terraria type games anyway). That about breaks even so I'm looking forward to the beta to tip me over the line one way or another.

I loved it until buffbots. More specifically I loved it until they nerfed left axe, and hence two of my characters, because zerkers with left axe were OP when buffbotted. But buffbot accounts made them money, so rather than fix the real problem they exacerbated it.

But that's just whining on my part. The real problem with the game was the inability of the network to actually handle huge amounts of people all in one zone fighting over a keep. If you were just cruising around in the frontier with a group at minstrel speed ganking people, it was fine, but neither the engine nor the internet could handle a massive slugfest. In addition to the game turning into a slideshow on even the most powerful rigs because the engine was so poor, the nature of the internet at the time just guaranteed massive warping lagfests. And Warhammer Online had the same problem in that regard, things went to hell when you piled a bunch of people into a keep.

And I'm not even sure how you fix that. Bandwidth is still expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU