Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

motherbox posted:

Backed this a LOOOONGG time ago, so I'm looking forward to beat. DAOC was my first (and best) MMO love. We're going whatever the Hibernia equivalent is, right?

Everyone was drooling over the arthurian dragon people with the butt-wings last thread. I'll be curious to see if the overall population still goes brits >> vikings >>>>> celts. I was a mid in DAOC and was somewhat jealous of how the hibs on my realm came together and made the most of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I loved DAOC until the engine ended up feeling old and painful. I loving love the classes and races they have planned out for this game. I freaking hate the landmark/minecraft build stuff they spent so much time on (but I'm an apparently rare weirdo that doesn't like minecraft/terraria type games anyway). That about breaks even so I'm looking forward to the beta to tip me over the line one way or another.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Batmasterson posted:

Is there a way to see what kind of Beta access I have to this? I donated $5 to Kickstarter ages ago, and only really follow this through email updates. If I can play on July 4th (or whenever) I'd love to check it out, but I don't see that anywhere other than I own a Realm Builder pledge.

https://store.camelotunchained.com/tier-comparison

Says $60 tier for beta 1 access, $35 tier for beta 2 and 3. That chart was made ages ago though and they may change their mind depending on participation. I know people in Alpha with the $60 package despite that requiring a $250+ tier on the chart. $5 probably just gets you the newsletter.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

I agree that the building features are dumb* and wasted everyone's time but I know there are people into that including a bazillion minecrafters and fortniters so whatever.

That said, for what it's worth, Jacobs has been pretty clear at least in his kickstarter emails that this beta is an old school beta rather than one of the ones other companies do these days that are mostly feature complete and focused on tuning, getting people amped up for release, and head starts for people who shell out.

*I haven't tried them or watched any videos on them. I just dislike the idea on principle.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And that doesn’t get into the game shipping with two classes missing from each side with Destruction missing two tanks and Order missing two dps.

What were the missing classes again? Wasn't it Hammerer (DPS) which became Slayer (I mained a Hammerer throughout the beta so it was weird having them not go live), and Knight of the Blazing Sun (tank) for order. Choppa (ork dps) and the dark elf tank for Destruction. So one of each for both?

I can't speak to balance as I didn't make it to 40 in release. I kept making too many alts. I know AEing the door was a holdover from DAOC. My thane used to be able to target the door and AE with his hammer spell hitting everything nearby but it didn't do much more than tickle the enemy unless I got a bunch of others including runemasters to join in. And there were always the PBAE gank groups who would sprint up to a clump of people sieging a keep, AOE down the bulk of them, and then run away.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Didn't one side get their knockback before the other so that tier of PvP was just knocking people into lava for big laughs and there was nothing they could do about it?

I think that battleground with the lava was added after release and if I remember right, bright wizards had the knockback for Order and Chaos Magus had it for Disorder. Way more people played wizards.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

insider posted:

Is this game dead? I thought it was in beta and have heard nothing about it.

The beta is an oldschool one so it's still only up for short periods of time every now and then.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

curious what they have been up to on this.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

taking their time to perfect the PvP and buttwing demons reinvent Minecraft

Though to be fair I haven't looked in a long while and I still hope they make something of the game because DAOC was awesome.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Erev posted:

I thought DAoC went ftp years ago for some reason.

You might be thinking of the Phoenix Freeshard, which is a third party running an older copy like Project 1999 for Everquest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Third World Reagan posted:

Anyone remember that 3 team arena game that they used warhammer online assets for? Anyone?

I don't remember it but google/Wikipedia says Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes which never made it out of beta.