Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's an increasingly decent chance it won't be the 4th, but other than that I currently have no thoughts on this not game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
When it goes into 'beta' they'll be doing the whole lower value package thing. What gets you three months right now will get you one or two, etc. That's pretty much the same for Kickstarter packages vs website ones as well, it's basically just less value per dollar.

Whether any of us are going to get any value out of it at all is of course the real question.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Byolante posted:

A man looked at the usual trajectory of a pvp only game and thought 'why don't I do this but minecraft'

The usual trajectory of a (modern) PvP only MMO is typically because everyone is still obsessed with the idea of risk and loss in a PvP environment. DAoC sidestepped this and was successful, at least for the time and before they hosed it up, and hopefully CU does the same. Asking for a sub for it is something I'm still iffy on when the game was Kickstarted in 2012 and will be entering a non-24/7 beta this year.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Byolante posted:

Like to an extent taking away full loot will help but DAoC worked because it had pve end game content as well. Hoping consequenceless pvp as the endgame seems like a doomed to failure proposition in a post pubg/moba world.

I mean, it had it yes, but I at least never once did it because it was something I wanted to do. CU also has the concept of The Depths, which is basically a PvPvPvE area that has from the beginning sounded like an insane pipe dream but who knows.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Maybe!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jove Tone posted:

They opened some tests up to beta 1 players tonight. I had fun even if everything is janky as hell right now.

Yeah so, I know that combat being fun comes later, but as it stands as of tonight (having not logged in for many months prior) I literally cannot tell what is going on in combat in any way, so this oughta be a real hoot.

Orv
May 4, 2011

sevenflow posted:

Shroud of the Avatar is significantly better (and still terrible, obviously). It's "done", so maybe not a fair comparison, but still.

See now I know you're just stirring poo poo. Even CU, as a non-game, is better than SotA.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Byolante posted:

The glaring problem is that by a beta the base gameplay should be close to finalised. If the combat is still an unrecognisable mess thats a huge problem. Have a look at what got done when with overwatch, the gunplay was finalised before they had a single map anything more than roughly sketched out.

To be fair it's not a beta at all, they're calling it that because saying "We're going into alpha after six and a half years!" would be viewed as sheer insanity. (Though this look ain't much better.)

Whether a good, playable game comes out of what is going to be a two+ year 'beta', we'll see. Probably not.

Orv fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 2, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011
Things just target parts, sadly. No interstitial collisions.

Orv
May 4, 2011

eonwe posted:

is it actually fun to play or is combat janky

is it ever actually coming out

what faction are yall wanting to do

no, yes

yes, but not for a while after they expect, probably

my answer to this is almost entirely predicated on post-launch classes so whatever

Orv
May 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I liked the PvE in Dark Age of Camelot, and Warhammer. :sigh:

hosed up if true.

(Public Quests are actually super cool and I'm glad most MMOs have co-opted them since.)

Orv
May 4, 2011

2DCAT posted:

I keep getting emails to join the beta but I'm too busy. Is it looking fun or :rip: another good idea

Might be fun eventually.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Senor Dog posted:

Isn't this what battlerite is?

Not really.

In Battlerite you control your character movement with WASD and your direction with the mouse and then every single ability is a skill shot of some kind. It's essentially MOBAs ground down to only the team fight parts.

Orv
May 4, 2011

extra stout posted:

This is true but if you admit that it's in true alpha state right now 5 1/2 years after it was supposed to be in a polished beta state then the post does not stand as a great advertisement for the game. Yes MJ seems willing to put his reputation and his own cash on the line, but no that doesn't change the fact that this game is really going to struggle to be relevant or interesting or 'news' by the time it actually comes out. If you're banking on subscription fees to make your money back and end up seven years behind, the game is going to come out right when they hit the bottom of the piggy bank. Without a friendly billionaire or selling off another 30% of the company, how will it be marketed? Nobody talks about it anymore.

To be fair nobody talks about it anymore because there's about six people left posting in the DAoC thread, the games closest analogues both have RvR modes that most people don't even care about and those that do have immense problems with it and all the people who are super bought into the CU dream are elsewhere. I will fully grant that having the same timeline as Star Citizen (KS: 2012) is not a great look, but those six years were spent making a game engine that I will personally attest to working with a huge number of clients with very little slowdown or lag.

Will that be enough to draw the crowds they need to keep it afloat once it's a real boy? I'd give it a solid maybe because there are still a lot of half lit torches out there among MMO vets for DAoC/Shadowbane style PvP sandboxes. Whether it's worth playing in the end it's too early to tell, which is in itself, yeah kind of a problem.

Toplowtech posted:

Okay one question, does this game get the same stealth mechanisms as DAoC?

The various kinds of stealth classes are all going to take penalties for doing their stealth actions and have limited stealth interactivity and time, but beyond that they haven't really said. All the stealth classes will be some of the last things they put into the game so it's hard to say.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Byolante posted:

it wass the most mystifying poo poo ever because guild wars already existed and filled the niche

Fury was interesting because it had a very early version of the idea of action MMO combat that became popular around TERA, GW2 and everything else that came out in that era. It was still essentially tab targeting under the hood but you could move during abilities, PBAOES were heavily represented and there was a bunch of movement stuff including various teleports.

It died because it was bad and deserved to, mind you.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

Wasn't Fury the one that had a 1 million dollar tournament or something? Jesus lol I had completely forgotten about that game. It's crazy to think about the sheer amount of MMOs that were coming out during the peak of the genre. It felt like there was a new MMO coming out every month.

Which never paid out or maybe even happened because the game died in like a month, yeah.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So how is this coming along? I got fond memories of DAoC and what it tried to do at the time, I'm fine with them taking their time to perfect the PvP and buttwing demons but curious what they have been up to on this.

Still effectively in alpha.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Last time I tried anything was near the beginning of the year. It was not a game then, it was a genuine alpha because they spent six years building an engine to handle the kind of player counts they want on screen.

I don't terribly expect them to ever move past that point, as it is now, but who knows.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I ended up getting one, turns out when they say "up to 90 days" they mean 90 days exactly like to the hour and it sure isn't any kind of paypal process or limitation so presumably they're just rear end covering for a slow insolvency.

Mark Jacobs never deserves the full depth of poo poo people give him but he's boned this one pretty hard.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Evernoob posted:

I wrote off my investment years ago.

Since then i've played EQ progress servers, WoW classic, ... i'm not even sure I actually want to play an MMO anymore at this time.

I will never stop hoping for a decent PvP MMO even if in reality I will probably just keep playing the WAR PS a couple nights a month, but it's just never going to happen and even if it somehow does happen it's never going to be good in more than a "Aw man" way. I'm not really the nostalgic type, for the most part, but there's definitely always gonna be that part of me that will wonder at what could have been.

Ah well.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah it's dead to death and still gonna be in development for another year or three before it comes due.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

Has a Kickstarter (or really, any crowdfunded) MMO released? I mean like, devs officially announce it out of beta and released, and they didn’t scale back the game to basically Not An MMO Anymore to make it? I know the Warhammer 40k MMO released, but they scaled it back so much it was basically just very large third-person shooter matches. Which is better than promising the moon and never releasing a product, but still.

Shroud of the Avatar, which was a hilarious scam trash fire. Albion Online, which was UO gangbox with moronic devs and worse players. I think that's it, at least for things that were still what they were sold on, though I suppose you could make an argument against SotA fitting that criteria but frankly I don't really remember if it promised anything concrete beyond "Richard Garriot's next game!"

Orv
May 4, 2011
The sad irony is that I can vouch that the engine CU spent six years building does in fact do that, at least on a graphical level. It does not do anything else though! :shepface:

Orv
May 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Its been in beta 1 for over 2 years now and with no progress made in that time. The devs abandoned it in favor of a battle royale.

Is it a battle royal or is it a tower defense? Neither is a good idea but one is marginally less suicidal, not that it'll save them.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

Can a game be canceled if it never existed

Amazon Game Studios is at the forefront of this research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
poo poo, I thought my like three or four months was long.