Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
I’ve completed my undergrad and two masters since I first kickstarted this game. Given my current career, their use of six years may prove to have been better spent than mine even if this turns out to be a dumpster fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Batmasterson posted:

Thanks for the quick response, though I guess I will go back to forgetting this exists for a while.

IIRC a lot of packages came with additional free invites for beta 3, but who knows when that will be.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Anyone call dibs on the guild bank yet?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Some footage of the game included in an audio test: https://youtu.be/grnxU_FWSYY

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Evernoob posted:

Somehow I hope gathered resources get dropped upon death so there is an extra incentive to go kill the Peons (and protect them)

I remember them saying that harvesting anything above a low carry limit will require the spawning and guarding of a “caravan” of some sort to bring the materials back. I would assume this will also be required for building materials as well, so there should be a fair number of those to gank. Mark mentioned the possibility of farming in one of his talks about the crafter class, so with everything being open to PVP, I would think we could go wreck/steal entire farms.

Here’s a note on the caravans from their wiki: https://camelot.gamepedia.com/Caravans

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Evernoob posted:

Archeage was nife for playing mini farmville and some skirmish pvp over the seas and stealing packs.

Then they completely destroyed the game by making it p2w (those thunderstruck logs from cash shop), countless underworld forests, and that zone to farm for better weapons than the best crafted items.

I loved the class system too.

Don’t forget the cash shop items that increased the odds of a successful regrade.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Mulva posted:

Nah, there's still things like Shroud of the Avatar and a million other kickstarter type games with a zillion add on packages you can buy. In fact in some ways I'd call Shroud worse than Star Citizen because I believe one of the things you could buy was some of British's actual blood. Like again I'm not debating how hosed up and terrible this game may be right now, I'm just telling you that pretty much every single other mmo at a comparable stage of development is also that hosed up. The ones that actually seem polished and like they have a chance are basically unicorns. You should give none of them money until you have overwhelming evidence there is some fun to be had, and even then understand it's going to fail in 2 months tops after launch. Anything that lasts longer than that is, again, some sort of insane miracle.

Pretty much this. I’m not convinced this will ever become a game, but it certainly won’t be an outlier if that’s the case.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

sevenflow posted:

Conducting tests at this stage in development is nothing but detrimental. The email newsletters sound great, but everything else is such a turn off. Right now, the pre-beta is a field that players of the same faction can run around in. Both PvP and chat are down, so there's nothing to fight and no one to talk to. Just bad prototype models with canned animations running around aimlessly and without meaning.

Edit: Emotes work.

What do you mean no PVP? I’ve been doing the 450 player battles for the last hour. It was more fun than I expected even.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

sevenflow posted:

Ah, drat. It might be just me but I've been disconnected on sign-in or ported to a zone without PvP for the past half hour.

Admittedly, there's definitely something there with the battles, but to me it feels like that has nothing to do with the systems they've built and everything to do with the novelty of 10's of players across 3 teams being congregated in one place. That's why I was wondering why no one built a game with similar systems but without the MMO/RPG/crafting wrappers earlier in the thread.

I agree entirely, except that I’m not entirely sure that they really have any systems in place beyond hit tab then number key. That being said, participating In some fairly large fights with little FPS stuttering or lag was fun. The novelty will certainly wear off though, so hopefully they start adding in some depth.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Server is up all night tonight for anyone interested

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Ugh, it is an archer spam fest. It’s hard to test when you are try to heal and are dead in 15 seconds due to unlimited range and seemingly unmissable shots.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

2DCAT posted:

I keep getting emails to join the beta but I'm too busy. Is it looking fun or :rip: another good idea

It’s not worth setting aside time for currently, imo. If you find yourself with nothing better going on it’s not a bad diversion for a bit though.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Looks like it’s official now :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Shammypants posted:

It’s in alpha, as in true alpha. It has gotten millions more in funding so far from dead

I still get emails from them. Last one mentioned something about scenarios and environment destruction being tested. Sounds like it still a ways away from release.