Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second

Evernoob posted:

(2012... it doesn't feel as long ago to me, I must be getting old. I've waited longer for this game than I have played DAoC...)

Same. Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
Reading that design doc with the redacted "****** ******" teaser over and over — and how it was going to change everything for this beta — then finally getting to what it actually is (some RP text around a few focused gameplay tests) was bizarre.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
Sorry if I'm making GBS threads up the thread, but don't make the mistake of spending $60 on this, even out of morbid curiosity. There's no game here. Even a bunch of the small stuff in the Beta 1 design doc is missing. This game will never be completed unless it's restarted from scratch and/or Mark Jacobs is removed from the company. It's probably the worst thing I've ever played, including jokes.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
It just seems way behind every other washed-up-MMO-designer-comes-back-because-they-made-a-couple-of-million-in-an-acquisition-many-years-ago-and-now-have-a-lifestyle-they-can-no-longer-afford Kickstarter. They're all bad but this one seems especially hosed up. Not Star Citizen, but maybe second to it.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
Shroud of the Avatar is significantly better (and still terrible, obviously). It's "done", so maybe not a fair comparison, but still.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003

Orv posted:

See now I know you're just stirring poo poo. Even CU, as a non-game, is better than SotA.

I feel guilty for bringing it up because I'm not typically a poo poo stirrer, but I truly feel that way. SotA has subpar systems across the board, but CU doesn't have any systems at all.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003

Mulva posted:

Why? Basically everyone on the planet understands "Beta means alpha, launch means beta, six months after launch means basic feature complete status". It's been over 20 years at this point, who still expects them to change at this point? That's how mmos work.

Fair enough, but even taking modern meaning into account and calling this a pre-alpha would be generous. Have you played it?

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
Are there any hotbar PvP games with large scale battles that don’t really have the PvE or MMORPG wrapper at all?

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
Conducting tests at this stage in development is nothing but detrimental. The email newsletters sound great, but everything else is such a turn off. Right now, the pre-beta is a field that players of the same faction can run around in. Both PvP and chat are down, so there's nothing to fight and no one to talk to. Just bad prototype models with canned animations running around aimlessly and without meaning.

Edit: Emotes work.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003

Bait and Swatch posted:

What do you mean no PVP? I’ve been doing the 450 player battles for the last hour. It was more fun than I expected even.

Ah, drat. It might be just me but I've been disconnected on sign-in or ported to a zone without PvP for the past half hour.

Admittedly, there's definitely something there with the battles, but to me it feels like that has nothing to do with the systems they've built and everything to do with the novelty of 10's of players across 3 teams being congregated in one place. That's why I was wondering why no one built a game with similar systems but without the MMO/RPG/crafting wrappers earlier in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
There's another test today and I thought I'd give it a try since it's been about a year since last time. Almost nothing has changed and this game is never coming out.