Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

I said come in! posted:

This is making me want to play Dark Age of Camelot while waiting for Camelot Unchained to go live. There is a user created free server but it's based on classic DAoC and is not even remotely accessible or easy to play for newer players.

Live is far more accessible than Uthgard or that other one that pops up every few years.

Live actually still has surprisingly decent RvR. And it's still the same old tropes per realm. Alb is super popular and insular, hibs stand around and do nothing then will go ape poo poo every once and awhile, and mids just go bash heads every day. Every realm has a zerg master that goes out and takes keeps every day too. Usually in Euro time though.

And they came out with that new wing/campaign of pve that has all the end game items, so you can just "raid" to get set up instead of buying currency from the Chinese guys or selling game time cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Kazvall posted:

Don't forget to tell people that Broadsword has entirely changed every aspect of the game, especially the classes, so it's not even really the same game anymore. Yeah, you can get 50 in like a day, but is it fun?

Classes haven't changed that much. I think necro is the only class that's been "changed". It was completely redone. Styles got normalized so there's no more wtfdoublefrost. That's about it. Some QOL stuff for song classes. Oh yeah, smite clerics got buffed!!! WOW.
It's still fun. And the same game.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Byolante posted:

I don't understand why anyone would want a pvp mmo anyway. Surely a mmo style combat game but with a lobby system like dota or overwatch will happen?

It did... it was called... something... gently caress. It shut down pretty quick, one of the first mmos to actually shut down.

It might have even been pre-WoW. I'm not sure though.

Fear.... Rage.... something like that.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Byolante posted:

It was called Fury and there was a big drama at the time because gamestop was still selling it after the servers had shut down

Yep, that was it. My buddy at the time had such a hard on for it. It was okay. That was the start of him only liking really bad MMOs. See: Earthfall.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Wondering what will come first actually, Camelot Unchained, or Dark Age of Camelot free to play model.

Well considering the f2p for daoc is in a month or so (whenever the next patch is, its on the test server right now). That's a pretty clear answer.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Fair enough! I have clearly fallen behind on when that was suppose to launch. I will be playing again once it does.

Yeah they just revamped all the restrictions too, they were pretty brutal before. Not bad, now.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Evernoob posted:

I guess one of the best game (franchises) to come out of a Kickstarter must be Divinity : Original Sin. that game delivered (and beyond) what was expected from it.

DAoC free to play? ... is that with all the current content and expansions or will they also launch a "classic" version? Or at least open new fresh servers.

There isn't enough population to divide the player base. It's on the regular servers. You have access to all content, items, etc. The only glaring restrictions are you can only get realm ability points up to rr7 (but can still go past that), you can't use champion abilities (which means gently caress all to most people, really).

Oh, you can only use the buff bot npc's, otherwise you have to stay in range of your buffer (like how it was back in the day,).

https://darkageofcamelot.com/content/endless-conquest-table

It's pretty good when you consider their aim isn't a full fleshed f2p game with subscription bonuses, but more like a trial that doesn't suck. I'm really hoping it brings in a fair amount of people, the live game is pretty fun still.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
The plus side of a post ToA server is that realm ranks/abilities aren't such a massively huge advantage. It's still big, but not nearly as noticable with all the crazy gear and clickies around these days.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Anyone that's been involved with or played any of Mark Jacob's games knows he's just a grifter.

This is not surprising.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Wasn't Jacobs out insisting he wasn't going to sell Mythic ever and then a couple days later, EA announced the acquisition?

Something to that effect, I think it was during something about Warhammer Online.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
daoc always feels super bad after not playing it for a long time. For me though, oddly enough it starts to feel "right" after a week or so of playing, provided I'm not playing anything else.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

iminers posted:

I had hoped this would happen with me, just for me to fall into the game and not get annoyed by the slow running pace and wonky controls and wtf graphics..

I guess the people at Mythic are happy the way it is.

I think Broadsword is like 3 guys now, and like most old games the most you can do is tack stuff on and change numbers. Fundamentally changing any of the core game would be impossible. It was like 3 patches after they introduced the premium currency for cosmetic crap that it even showed up properly on your currency window.

The F2P addition didn't bring player numbers up at all. The only people still playing DAoC are the ones that have been playing it off and on for the past 20 years. As long as the players don't start crashing servers to dupe poo poo(which is why they decided to shut down Asheron's Call instead of keeping it running indefinitely), it should keep chugging along for many more years.

If Phoenix would start running a seasonal model it would have massive continued success. Hopping into RvR and smashing your face into RR10-12 groups is not fun when a server has been running for a year or 2.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Kazvall posted:

I've always wanted some sort of progression server for DAoC, with some sort of bonus to your account once it resets.

It would be cool especially if they did original exp values for ToA content, artifacts, and MLs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
I too had hoped that Mark Jacobs had stopped being a grifter and Enforcer of Bad Ideas.