Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Game balance was pretty horrible. The concept of each side has the same abilities just on different classes is nice in theory but in practice it worked more like Destruction needs 5 classes to bring the best abilities while Order needs 2 (specifically Bright Wizards were unbalanced as hell, and I think the Bright Wizard/War Priest combo was the biggest problem but my memory might be a bit off there). In practice for the most part the combination of abilities on Order classes synergized better than Destruction and the 1v1 balance for the mirrors was favored for Order. On top of that Destruction had more population so the devs idea to balance that was to buff the power of the Order classes, so now you had a combo of already stronger classes with bigger numbers to counteract the population advantage of Destruction, which again in theory isn't a terrible idea, just it really only affected massive RvR battles where Destruction had the numbers advantage, anything smaller scale was in favor of Order. This also had an effect on the battlegrounds balancing.

Then they made a ton of other mistakes as far as the reward structure for doing pvp, it was way faster to gain renown doing Battlegrounds initially so to counter that they raised the amount you got from taking RvR objectives, while not really increasing the amount you got from actually battling in RvR. So the last time I played a couple years after launch it was basically groups of zergs ignoring each other as they circled the RvR lakes retaking Keeps and objectives. Essentially the game became RvE with very little pvp.

There were a lot of other problems with WAR as well, it was a tragically flawed game with a ton of good ideas that just had poor execution in general. Terrible server lag (mythic seconds), weird animation glitches years into release, splitting the population with the ridiculous server mirroring shortly after launch.

That said it really did some things well, some of the class designs were great (Shaman is my favorite healing class ever), the early 1-20 pvp lakes were actually pretty fun before the imbalances really started to take hold. Public Quests obviously have become fairly standard in mmos now, the Grimoire was really cool too and surprised it didn't gain more traction in other mmos.

I suspect it died in part because EA was expecting something on the order of WoW money buckets and when it didn't reach those numbers they had no desire to keep it going, I think there may have been some issues with GW as well that wouldn't let them make it a f2p game when that was the way most other non WoW mmos were going. It's too bad because their was so much potential there and I do think a couple years after launch it was a much better game and might have been able to turn it around had they had more support from EA/GW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Glad they pulled dev resources from the MMO, cause this Battle Royale sure does look like something I would surely be glad my backer money had gone to (had I backed which I didn't cause Mark Jacobs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2nJ7ovYLEc