Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

bagrada posted:

Everyone was drooling over the arthurian dragon people with the butt-wings last thread. I'll be curious to see if the overall population still goes brits >> vikings >>>>> celts. I was a mid in DAOC and was somewhat jealous of how the hibs on my realm came together and made the most of things.

Every kid who knew what an MMO was in my high school played Midgard and I'm shocked the post before yours would even joke about goons going with another option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Bait and Swatch posted:

IIRC a lot of packages came with additional free invites for beta 3, but who knows when that will be.

He didn't give very exact information but I remember MJ on stream a few months ago when they first announced the July 4th beta goal, it was something about how the spaces between beta phases will be greatly reduced, not that they're rushing the games beta but since they're way behind they're gonna let beta 3 people in a few weeks into beta 1, etc

I'm sure we have enough goons to help each other out but I also hear rumors that some people keep real life friends and you should bug them first

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Shammypants posted:

It’s in alpha, as in true alpha. It has gotten millions more in funding so far from dead

This is true but if you admit that it's in true alpha state right now 5 1/2 years after it was supposed to be in a polished beta state then the post does not stand as a great advertisement for the game. Yes MJ seems willing to put his reputation and his own cash on the line, but no that doesn't change the fact that this game is really going to struggle to be relevant or interesting or 'news' by the time it actually comes out. If you're banking on subscription fees to make your money back and end up seven years behind, the game is going to come out right when they hit the bottom of the piggy bank. Without a friendly billionaire or selling off another 30% of the company, how will it be marketed? Nobody talks about it anymore.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
This feels sad when you realize it's still an alpha, the kind of alpha that isn't fun and doesn't have a map beyond a field or any classes in the game yet

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-15-about-that-camelot-unchained-alpha-in-august

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Someone linked me the Camelot Unchained reddit and I saw a lot of people nervously talking about and mocking the game and the 90 days it now takes to get a refund, and I can confirm now that after 3 weeks of no one replying to my email that I had to message an employee on discord who then explained to me that he never saw my refund request because 'it went to spam'

They then sent me a copy/paste reply of MJ talking about how great the game will be and how those who stay will be rewarded with more!! alleged!! upgrades!! on a game that might never come out, and he explained my 90 day refund policy did not start 3 weeks ago, it starts only after I confirm that I still want a refund and provide my full name, address, phone number, picture of my rear end etc

What I'm saying is if you want a refund because the game development is easily seven years behind schedule, I'd go ahead and file for that yesterday

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Orv posted:

Yeah I ended up getting one, turns out when they say "up to 90 days" they mean 90 days exactly like to the hour and it sure isn't any kind of paypal process or limitation so presumably they're just rear end covering for a slow insolvency.

Mark Jacobs never deserves the full depth of poo poo people give him but he's boned this one pretty hard.

My refund went through in maybe 30 days but MJ (the CEO who I like and am trying not to mock here) does still have to personally verify all refunds, which is insane for a guy who is an actual game CEO and not a random kickstarter guy. I'm assuming he might even be using his own money to do the refunds, mine was a small amount and I bugged a mod on discord is why I'm guessing I got it back in a month or so.

There is a huge urge to mock this game though because I can't stand game devs who lie to themselves and their fanbase, and no matter how cool of a guy and confident Jacobs is, he is out of his loving mind if he thinks this would even be a beta test most people would want to pay to try out even in 2020

I'm gonna call either a December 2020 failed launch, or a June 2021 failed launch, but there's no way around it at this pace they will be out of anything but a hundred whales once the game is ready in 2022

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Seems like a good idea for creating a cash injection, using assets to make another game, though they probably shouldn't have a release date for camelot unchained if they are just going to keep pushing it back.

Once you start using terms like "cash injection" rather than "trash looking side project on a game that itself is already 7-9 years behind schedule" I begin to worry that you're drinking the kool-aid or even helping stir it

I watched maybe twenty minutes of the orcs must die game with no traps or strategy, an overwatch style HUD made in MS Paint and the CEO of the company spamming left click as the main playstyle before closing it, laughing and being glad I refunded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Verbose posted:

Just checking up on the site. Apparently if you buy the most expensive $435 package you still can only pick 1 reward of 3?

Also they seem like they're hiring people but working on stuff like UI bug fixes

Please no one ever invest $435 or even $35 into this project, the 4 hires are to replace the last 4 employees to leave the company, the side project game looks like absolute blurry and generic trash, and now the team that was already 7-8 years behind schedule can say "COVID, due to, working from home!!" for the next decade.

It's not gonna happen. This game won't be half of what it promised if they set the release date for 2025.

And to justify the bump, though I already got my refund many months ago I've heard from multiple sources that MJ is using the working from home thing as a reason why no one is getting refunds lately. So put your refund request in, and then it's a matter of time before someone can spam him asking why he can't enter the office, as the owner of the company if there's no one else in the building anyway. (Last time someone asked he said his wife used to have breast cancer so entering an empty office with a mask is too dangerous).

If this still doesn't make sense I'll remind you: The CEO of the company has for years claimed that no one else at the company should be allowed to issue refunds, because he wants to read each of them personally and make sure no one else is liable for "handling their payment information".