Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Gonz posted:

35 years ago today.

How do you play snake on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I miss my star tac

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Gonz posted:

35 years ago today.

Ah, a Peter Banning phone.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

What are the odds there would have been a paranoid schizophrenic with the name Noid?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Ah, a Peter Banning phone.

Bangarang, motherfucker

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I had forgotten all about these things until just recently. They seemed pretty cool when I was a preschooler (mostly because you could make a lot of annoying noise with them):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3pyR2rQltE
We had one of these! I think it was my sibling’s and I would “borrow” it when they were out.

I read these books so many times

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Foyer of the Barbican Centre, London, England, circa 1981.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Gonz posted:

Ten-Forward???

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Silly Burrito posted:

Ten-Forward???

Ten-foyer

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Gonz posted:

So many ashtrays!

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I was born in 82, but this still looks like the future to me. I am so old.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Gonz posted:

It's so appropriate that things have come full circle and the Barbican (exterior) is now used as a Star Wars location, because that pic right there needs only minimal changes to become a 1981 Star Wars film set.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006
No one likes me, but by god I will hold posting grudges for years to get into the cool kids club. I've won title as a most ignored user! Please unignore me uWu
Smellrose

gileadexile posted:

I was born in 82, but this still looks like the future to me. I am so old.

Born in 83 and same.

I hate the passage of time.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

It’s cassette futurism as hell, but without the electronic devices. Hi, I’m an ‘81.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I like old architectural design from 30+ years ago so much better than same-y drab, boxy brutalism of today (born the year Orwell made infamous).

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Mad Hamish posted:

So many ashtrays!

I remember 1981 London, that's actually far too few ashtrays.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Gonz posted:

35 years ago today.

Fun fact: if you removed the battery, you'd see the battery had 3 connectors but there were 4 connectors on the phone itself. A well-placed bit of tin-foil on that extra connector put the phone into test mode, and it was possible to listen to unencrypted cellular traffic. You could hear snippets of conversations easily, but not long conversations because (1) you could only hear whatever was going on in your local cell, and (2) I think the CDMA (?) was designed to switch channels every few seconds.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Gonz posted:

I used to live in the Barbican (above the morgue and next to the fire station, simultaneously the quietest and loudest neighbors ever). It was a very weird place. 3000 flats, populated by either old people who never left their flat or City bankers who left for their country homes on the weekend, resulting in a "city within a city" that was eerily empty on the weekends.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Hey 80s nerds, any of you listen to retro/nostalgia podcasts?

I'm a fan of Dinosaur Dracula's Purple Stuff Podcast, the Retroist, and Gen-X Grownup, but are there any other good ones out there?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

minato posted:

Fun fact: if you removed the battery, you'd see the battery had 3 connectors but there were 4 connectors on the phone itself. A well-placed bit of tin-foil on that extra connector put the phone into test mode, and it was possible to listen to unencrypted cellular traffic. You could hear snippets of conversations easily, but not long conversations because (1) you could only hear whatever was going on in your local cell, and (2) I think the CDMA (?) was designed to switch channels every few seconds.

There was also a period where you could do that with police scanners, before a law required any scanner released in the US to block out parts of the 850 MHz region where analog cell phones resided (technically, it prevented FCC "Type Acceptance" of any device that could do that, but didn't prohibit the devices themselves).

If you're in the US, you're thinking of AMPS, Advanced Mobile Phone System, which has some really interesting baggage in it if you read about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLP6oT3uqV8