Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My mom upgraded to that one when I was in high school. I hate it. I hate the elevated board feeling wobbly and unbalanced every time you touch it, the plastic looks and feels tacky, and the color of the tiles just feels like it's trying too hard compared with the natural wood grain. Give me the classic any day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

feedmyleg posted:

My mom upgraded to that one when I was in high school. I hate it. I hate the elevated board feeling wobbly and unbalanced every time you touch it, the plastic looks and feels tacky, and the color of the tiles just feels like it's trying too hard compared with the natural wood grain. Give me the classic any day.

The one we had def. had real wood tiles, but I looked it up and the original Deluxe version is from the 70's. I don't recall it being wobbly? But it's been DECADES since I've used it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the "new" Deluxe edition decades later cheaped out and went to fake-wood-looking plastic.

Or do you just mean you prefer natural wood grain vs/ painted/stained darker wood?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

My memories of my parents having the entertainment center with the lazy Susan design for the TV tray was that it was essentially worthless as there was always going to be at least one cable so comically short or stretched to reach a VCR or whatever as to ensure that if you tried to rotate the TV you'd unplug or break something.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Our entertainment center, which was just a little stand that only replaced a ratty old bench we’d been using, had that pivoting top; it was worthless not due to cable length issues, but because it just didn’t work with the weight of the tv sitting on it

DrBouvenstein posted:

The pieces were different, too. You can see here the options are Thimble, Battleship, Train, Iron, Shoe, Top-hat, Cannon, Wheelbarrow, Statue, and Dog.

I think the Train, Top-hat, Statue, and maybe...Canon (?) were new/exclusive to this version?

I think only the train and the statue were exclusive, because I remember the cannon for sure and maybe the top hat

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
My family's entertainment center was a paper bag with a bunch of glue dumped in to it.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

DrBouvenstein posted:

The pieces were different, too. You can see here the options are Thimble, Battleship, Train, Iron, Shoe, Top-hat, Cannon, Wheelbarrow, Statue, and Dog.

I think the Train, Top-hat, Statue, and maybe...Canon (?) were new/exclusive to this version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5esjxBN17ls

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vE5ewvxdfo

I thought this song was the coolest poo poo back in 1980-whatever the gently caress.
I swear I remember there being a PA system when I would go skiing at Kissing Bridge (Western NY state) that they played music on. I think they had speakers on the lifts or something and whenever they played this song my 8-9 year old rear end was all like gently caress yeah!!

The video always creeped me out though with the flappy arms.

How many of you knew what song it was when I mentioned "the video with the flappy arms"?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I’m fairly certain this room has a baggie of cocaine hidden in it, and may or may not be the house where Clarence Boddicker murdered Bob Morton.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
that is a sweet set up. i love glass bricks. aaahhhh

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Gonz posted:

I’m fairly certain this room has a baggie of cocaine hidden in it, and may or may not be the house where Clarence Boddicker murdered Bob Morton.

uber_stoat posted:

So fashionable 80s people basically wanted every room to feel as close to a bathroom as possible. Or maybe a gym shower.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I just saw this photo and was transported back to a time when I got on the nerves of my entire family by playing with them way too goddamn much inside the house.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

lobsterminator posted:

So fashionable 80s people basically wanted every room to feel as close to a bathroom as possible. Or maybe a gym shower.

About 5-10 years ago there were people who thought the height of fashion was making their entire house look like the inside of an Apple store, so "executive coke bathroom" is probably a step up.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Feb 9, 2024

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Gonz posted:

uber_stoat posted:

God, I love both of these.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Gonz posted:

I just saw this photo and was transported back to a time when I got on the nerves of my entire family by playing with them way too goddamn much inside the house.

I had the second version, with the orange speaker and four different drum sounds. Those things did not work as well in the air as advertised :mad:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Those rooms look like the Maxx from saved by the bell.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I sleep in a 90s paper cup, do you?

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

lobsterminator posted:

I sleep in a 90s paper cup, do you?

I sleep in a big bed with your wife

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Oh neat a duvet with the overlay from the end of every scene from Blossom on it

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

It reminds me of the old Publix stores with a glass wall in front of the doors.

Are there any of those left? Publix on Nebraska and Hanna in Tampa had the glass bricks the last time I was there, but that's been a few years.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMuElf1_OoM

This was posted in the '90s thread, but this CD commercial features all the top '80s punk bands.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Mad Hamish posted:

God, I love both of these.

Glass brick walls are awesome, I kinda want one with bricks that look like those clear plastic puzzles

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://wornandwound.com/from-deep-in-the-watch-box-the-seiko-data-2000/

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Sorry, it’s all I can see now.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

What a fashion statement: strapping a TI-92 shaped device onto your wrist.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

This was posted in the '90s thread, but this CD commercial features all the top '80s punk bands.

They knew what they were doing and it's magnificent :allears:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Parkingtigers posted:

Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer sold out

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I had these, but the TMNT ones:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Reminds me of the Garfield reflector we all had that I think was a cereal box prize.

I'd post a pic, but the Awful app doesn't play nice with imgur anymore, and every URL I find for an image is either webp or is full of tracking info or wherever so it doesn't work with the Awful app image upload.

Edit: On a laptop now:

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 15:28 on Mar 4, 2024

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

you were sovereign of the road if you had these.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

holy poo poo that unlocked some memories. I think I was like 5 or 6 when I had this and I was super into watching Ghostbusters over and over even though the librarian ghost scared the poo poo out of me

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I wanted to get enough of these to completely fill every spoke on both wheels.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Spokey dokeys were great until they got stuck at the outer edge of the rim on the spoke nuts and wouldn't make that dumb noise.

Spokey Sparkles were something too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I fed those sharpeners SO many pencils in elementary school. So satisfying.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Now I want one of those pencil sharpeners just for the smell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

You can still buy them. Top one is 50 euro, bottom one is 130 euro.