Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
lol they're absolute babies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I don't understand, what's the problem with the photo?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Gigi Galli posted:

That's the Kosovan flag on his right boot, which Serbia and Albania are not too thrilled about existing.

ahhhhhhh i didn't recognise it. i'm dumb.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
i've got my one and only swiss t-shirt (it's bad) and i'm hyped to watch shaqiri get punched by angry serbs

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

greazeball posted:

Welp, we'll soon find out if being proud of where you're from is a worse crime than drinking the wrong drink: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/23/xhaka-and-shaqiri-goal-celebrations-bring-balkan-politics-to-world-cup

Also,

holy poo poo lol

quote:

Krstajic was less magnanimous when asked about the decision not to award a penalty to Aleksandar Mitrovic in the second half.

“We were robbed,” he said. “I wouldn’t give him either a yellow or red card, I would send him to the Hague. Then they could put him on trial, like they did to us.”

Krstajic also posted photographs from the match on his Instagram account, accompanied by the comment: “Unfortunately, it seems that only the Serbs are condemned to a selective justice, once (it was) the damned Hague and today in football the VAR...”

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I don't think there's a single ticinese in the first team tbh except for one guy who was born in Lugano but they probably default to German.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

African AIDS cum posted:

Neither of them are from Albania and neither is their family though

??? Yes they are? Do you think Xhaka and Shaqiri (the q is pronounced ch btw) are common Swiss last names?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Tahirovic posted:

It's funny because super Swiss named Blerim Dzemaili says he's Zürcher and nothing else.

Shaqiri and Xhaka are idiots and not just because of what they did last Friday. They simply have a lot of character flaws, which reflects in their playstyle and general attitude.

hmmmm yeah hybrid identity isn't a thing at all, everyone who claims to be more than one thing is lying

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Tahirovic posted:

It's a silly topic since it's about nationalism. I know what you mean about it being hard, but it's mostly because they made it hard themselves.

Look at all the others where it was a non-issue. Blerim says he's Zürcher because he grew up here, lived his life here, has all his friends here. Yes he does have relations in an other country, but his home is here.
I don't agree with people who tell him this is not his home, I can acknowledge that they exist, you can identify them by their usage of the word Eidgenosse.
Did you ever see Rodriguez wave a Spanish or Chilean flag? If I got it right his mom is from Chile and his dad from Spain, but he grew up in Auzelg/ZH. He had a lot of problems at school and was a bit of a dick in his youth but he never pulled this nationalist poo poo.

One part of this is what others do to you, the second part is what you make out of it.

I'd prefer to talk about Shakiri's bullshit ego plays instead of that eagle sign anyway.

Being Spanish or Chilean is never going to land you with as much abuse from Swiss racists as being a "Yugo", and it's very very normal for targeted minorities to develop stronger perceived ties to their ancestral origin as a reaction.

Also getting the Serbs to whine about the Hague is tip top.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

The X-man cometh posted:

Case in point: Every American rooting for Germany because great-great-grandpa was born in Silesia or some other "German" area.

this is disingenuous and wrong

Gigi Galli posted:

This is a great post.

Do you actually get offended by this because it's a meme at this point.

I only get people bringing up my immigrant status when they're disagreeing with my political opinions, and it's almost always entirely English people.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
lol yeah taunting a jewish player with a nazi/holocaust reference is exactly the same and equally as bad as winding up a country that tried to genocide your family.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
It'll be some svp rear end in a top hat stirring poo poo as usual and nothing will come of it. This happens every tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Lara Gut is my age and from Sorengo, we probably went to school together

That's my story

• Locked thread