Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Any chance of giving us a rundown of how old the key players are? It seems like most of this squad have been around forever.

I cba to find all of them, but Xhaka, Seferovic and Rodriguez were all on the team that won the U-17 World Cup in 2009 and I think they were promoted into the senior squad not long after that.

quote:

Also on a scale of 1-10 how salty are Swiss people these days that like 90% of the national team are black or Albanian? I remember this being a thing a few years ago.

It's better now that the unquestionably best player in the squad is foreign. When Alex Frei was banging in the goals it was easier to pretend that the 'real Swiss' were all that was needed. Without Shaq, we're hosed, and everyone knows it. The people who still care about purity just watch ice hockey now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Hopppppppppp

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Schwiiiiiiiiiiizzzzzz

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I hope they get the Swiss cunty bureaucratic letter in reply:

Please see bylaws Section 2, Article a.iii, which states that VAR will only be used in cases where a there is a possibility that a foul may have been committed.

Wishing you,
Infantino

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Welp, we'll soon find out if being proud of where you're from is a worse crime than drinking the wrong drink: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/23/xhaka-and-shaqiri-goal-celebrations-bring-balkan-politics-to-world-cup

Also,

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

Lol at this incredibly condescending nonsense

Are you aware people of Albanian ethnicity are from all sorts of nearby countries like FYROM, Serbia, Greece, etc?

Xhaka was born in Switzerland, his parents were born in Serbia. Shaqiri was born in what is now Kosovo.

So you're saying that they are ethnic Albanians but that doesn't count because reasons

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Tahirovic posted:

It's funny because super Swiss named Blerim Dzemaili says he's Zürcher and nothing else.

And the appropriate thing to do when someone says they're from a place is to accept what they say instead of play pedantic geography citizenship lawyer and "well actually" and explain that person's own lived experience to them. Because I guarantee you that there are plenty of people in Zurich who let him know regularly that he is not Zürcher and he never will be so good on him for sticking with it and saying "gently caress you I'm from here".

To look at it a different way, if you moved to a new country, would you tell your kids that they're not from where you're from? Would you tell them not to speak your mother tongue, not to learn your national history, not to care about their grandparents and great-grandparents? What would you tell them when the other kids bully them for having a funny name and eating funny food and not knowing all the intricacies of local life? What would you tell them later when they can't get job interviews or apartment viewings because of their ethnic name? Just forget the past? You only have one home, and it's the place where everyone tells you you don't belong?

It's complicated having dual nationalities and one's loyalties are going to rise and fall at different points and reacting to different things. I guess one nice thing about living in one place your entire life, and where your family have lived for generations, is that you aren't constantly talked down to when you make simple observations. But the fact is that people move now, a lot, and when they do they're not suddenly from nowhere. We don't actually know what Dzemaili's real feelings on the matter are, we just know what he said to a journalist. Maybe it's totally true, or maybe he just knows the Swiss press and didn't want to answer this inane line of questioning. There are no doubt people here who only consider him to be Yugo, but whether or not he feels any affinity for Macedonia or not is entirely up to him and we have to just accept what he says about it and do the same for anyone else.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

Lol why should it count? Lets say hypothetically an ethnically german Italian player from south tyrol celebrates with, idk, a WW2 German symbol at Israeli fans would that be cool or a provocation? It's the same poo poo as doing sectarian crap in Scotland/Northern Ireland

fake thug wannabes from loving raclette eating switzerland trying to act like KLA hardmen is corny as poo poo anyway I hope FIFA throws the book at them

Why are you so invested in whether it's ok to do fascisms? Wearing a Celtic/Rangers top isn't banned at stadiums, but singing about being up to our knees in Fenian blood is, do you see the difference? Showing affinity to an oppressed group is not the same as expressing affinity for exterminating ethnic or religious groups.

And I can guarantee you that Kosovar and Albanian refugees (and any other immigrant to Switzerland) in the 80s did not get the Swiss passport for many years after their arrival. Having permanent residency here does not entitle you to a passport or a vote and being born here does not make you Swiss unless your parents are Swiss. They had Kosovar/Albanian/Macedonian/Yugoslavian passports, but somehow that's not real enough for you and you're projecting this KLA bullshit onto it as well. You're making the whole thing up in your mind to get pissed off at the libs or something just get a grip.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

A suspension would've been absurd; maybe a game behind closed doors for the next nations league or quali or whatever the gently caress is happening after the world cup was what I was expecting. Was the fine more than what England had to pay for Sterling's egregious Red Bull stunt?

http://www.goal.com/en/news/shaqiri-xhaka-escape-world-cup-bans-but-hit-with-fifa-fines/1fiwv7otly2y81b7t129kln4uy

quote:

Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka and Stoke City forward Xherdan Shaqiri were fined £7,600 for making hand gesture to mimic the Albanian national symbol, an eagle.

Switzerland captain Stephan Lichtsteiner was also fined £3,700

FIFA also punished Slavisa Kokeza, Serbia FA president, and coach Mladen Krstajic in relation to comments they made on the goal celebrations after the match. Kokeza and Krstajic were sanctioned with fines of £3,800

Serbia's FA was also fined £41,000 ($54,000) and given a warning "for the display of discriminatory banners and messages by Serbian supporters as well as for throwing objects during the match".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

Thanks, this actually seems like a good decision by FIFA? Covered every party that had a grievance. I didn't realize that the Serbian fans were waving anything at all, let alone discriminatory.

Yeah I'm kind of surprised really. But now they have to add Switzerland to list of countries they have to rig the draw for so they don't play each other lol

• Locked thread