Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Freuler is good, he had a bit of a breakout season at Atalanta and started most of their matches. He's not exceptional imo, but he'll do the job.

It's surprising to me that Dzemaili is still getting call ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Wengy posted:

BREAKING NEWS - BREAKING NEWS - BREAKING NEWS

Brought to you by Hublot, official timekeeper of FIFA WORLD CUP 2018

Petkovic has decided to omit Gregor Kobel (fourth keeper and so forgettable I forgot to mention him in the OP), Edimilson Fernandes (shame) and Silvan Widmer (I have no opinion on this) from the final squad.

Widmer was good 2 seasons ago I think? Udinese was so loving bad this year that everyone on that team should be ashamed. Behrami included imo, heh.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

curried lamb of God posted:

big fan of the swiss here, but hublot is gaudy trash

I think you might want to rethink that link band for your skins sake, op.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

By engine you mean ASTON MARTIN RED BULL RACING TAG HEUER?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Troy Queef posted:

you forgot the part where they won a World Constructors' Championship back in '84

Today I learned that TAG and Heuer used to be two separate things!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Wengy posted:

So are the Serbs. Friday is going to be intense. Serbian media are going crazy over this instagram post by Shaqiri:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjINvT0nPLl/?utm_source=ig_embed

Of course, Albanian newspapers are also chiming in.

That's cool, good for him.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Coohoolin posted:

I don't understand, what's the problem with the photo?

That's the Kosovan flag on his right boot, which Serbia and Albania are not too thrilled about existing.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Alexeythegreat posted:

Please
Have any of you ever tried to get anything done in any ex-USSR country?

That's just corruption though. I was going to say Italy but it is also just corruption.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Doctor Malaver posted:

One of the Serbian players was asked if he had a problem with that and he responded - "Not at all, I'm just curious why they didn't choose to play for Kosovo then." Which is a decent burn because when a new country joins FIFA, players with ties there have a limited window in which they can switch to the new country. And surprise surprise they didn't.

Yeah I wondered about that actually; Switzerland and Albania would've lost a lot of players. I think a few Albanians switched, I'm not sure.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Bogan Krkic posted:

Besart Berisha did, but he'd already retired from the Albanian national team so idk if it counts?

Samir Ujkani did too, now that I'm looking at it. I don't recognize the others.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

poty posted:

Not sure what beef Serbia has with Schwyz but I hope they can work it out

lol that's good marketing

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

greazeball posted:

And the appropriate thing to do when someone says they're from a place is to accept what they say instead of play pedantic geography citizenship lawyer and "well actually" and explain that person's own lived experience to them. Because I guarantee you that there are plenty of people in Zurich who let him know regularly that he is not Zürcher and he never will be so good on him for sticking with it and saying "gently caress you I'm from here".

To look at it a different way, if you moved to a new country, would you tell your kids that they're not from where you're from? Would you tell them not to speak your mother tongue, not to learn your national history, not to care about their grandparents and great-grandparents? What would you tell them when the other kids bully them for having a funny name and eating funny food and not knowing all the intricacies of local life? What would you tell them later when they can't get job interviews or apartment viewings because of their ethnic name? Just forget the past? You only have one home, and it's the place where everyone tells you you don't belong?

It's complicated having dual nationalities and one's loyalties are going to rise and fall at different points and reacting to different things. I guess one nice thing about living in one place your entire life, and where your family have lived for generations, is that you aren't constantly talked down to when you make simple observations. But the fact is that people move now, a lot, and when they do they're not suddenly from nowhere. We don't actually know what Dzemaili's real feelings on the matter are, we just know what he said to a journalist. Maybe it's totally true, or maybe he just knows the Swiss press and didn't want to answer this inane line of questioning. There are no doubt people here who only consider him to be Yugo, but whether or not he feels any affinity for Macedonia or not is entirely up to him and we have to just accept what he says about it and do the same for anyone else.

This is a great post.

oliwan posted:

the mean bullies in this forum should read this post before they bully me again for not being swiss but dutch.

Do you actually get offended by this because it's a meme at this point.

e: Im not trying to be a dick oliwan, if it actually makes you mad I'll stop.

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 25, 2018

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Maybe if the serbs weren't such easily trolled whiny crybabies the world wouldn't care.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

poty posted:

I'm pretty neutral about the whole thing (heh)

If they suspend Shaqiri, Xhaka and Lichtsteiner we are getting turbo-hosed even by Costa Rica.

Edit: I see FIFA went for a fine, good poo poo

A suspension would've been absurd; maybe a game behind closed doors for the next nations league or quali or whatever the gently caress is happening after the world cup was what I was expecting. Was the fine more than what England had to pay for Sterling's egregious Red Bull stunt?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

Xhaka and Shaqiri were fined like €8k each, Lichtsteriner was fined €4k. Sterling's fine was £16k.

:capitalism:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Thanks, this actually seems like a good decision by FIFA? Covered every party that had a grievance. I didn't realize that the Serbian fans were waving anything at all, let alone discriminatory.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I honestly didn't notice!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

It's a safe bet OP

hehe, true

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

The Serbs got insanely mad and lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

oliwan posted:

Apparently Switzerland are thinking about not letting players with dual nationalities play for the national team anymore? lmao

Lol that team would be insanely bad

• Locked thread