Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
For reference:

oliwan posted:

Things I have heard in my native land of Wallis:

"I'm not watching the Swiss team anymore now that there's no Swiss in it"

"It's hard to identify with all the blacks in the Swiss team, they should consider that when making the selection"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can't believe Wolverine wears omega

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a Swatch in black and gold

edit: in plastic

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
People who pay more than €100 for a watch are seriously retarded

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Best pic of the world cup, please post it in the pics thread

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wrote my Swiss dad a message yesterday after the game and he sent this back:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
my dad said 2-1 fuer tschwizz and i believe

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've had my bank account frozen without warning here in Berlin because I wrote something on some form and I couldn't eat for a week lol, it's pretty brutal to be honest

Everyone lives in constant fear of the bureaucracy here, and it's totally normal to have to go to a bürgeramt and wait for hours on end there to get a form or a stamp for something because nothing can be done online either.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
huere yugos!!!

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

oliwan posted:

I wrote my Swiss dad a message yesterday after the game and he sent this back:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Coohoolin posted:

??? Yes they are? Do you think Xhaka and Shaqiri (the q is pronounced ch btw) are common Swiss last names?

:bravo:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

greazeball posted:

And the appropriate thing to do when someone says they're from a place is to accept what they say instead of play pedantic geography citizenship lawyer and "well actually" and explain that person's own lived experience to them. Because I guarantee you that there are plenty of people in Zurich who let him know regularly that he is not Zürcher and he never will be so good on him for sticking with it and saying "gently caress you I'm from here".

To look at it a different way, if you moved to a new country, would you tell your kids that they're not from where you're from? Would you tell them not to speak your mother tongue, not to learn your national history, not to care about their grandparents and great-grandparents? What would you tell them when the other kids bully them for having a funny name and eating funny food and not knowing all the intricacies of local life? What would you tell them later when they can't get job interviews or apartment viewings because of their ethnic name? Just forget the past? You only have one home, and it's the place where everyone tells you you don't belong?

It's complicated having dual nationalities and one's loyalties are going to rise and fall at different points and reacting to different things. I guess one nice thing about living in one place your entire life, and where your family have lived for generations, is that you aren't constantly talked down to when you make simple observations. But the fact is that people move now, a lot, and when they do they're not suddenly from nowhere. We don't actually know what Dzemaili's real feelings on the matter are, we just know what he said to a journalist. Maybe it's totally true, or maybe he just knows the Swiss press and didn't want to answer this inane line of questioning. There are no doubt people here who only consider him to be Yugo, but whether or not he feels any affinity for Macedonia or not is entirely up to him and we have to just accept what he says about it and do the same for anyone else.

the mean bullies in this forum should read this post before they bully me again for not being swiss but dutch.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gigi Galli posted:

This is a great post.

Do you actually get offended by this because it's a meme at this point.

e: Im not trying to be a dick oliwan, if it actually makes you mad I'll stop.

I'm only offended when posters African AIDS cum does it op, so it's all good.

blue footed boobie posted:

My understanding is that Oliwan is an actual Swiss person who just moved to the Netherlands and started supporting their national team.

I was born in Switzerland, but my mother who is Dutch moved back to the Netherlands with me when I was 6 years old, where I grew up among my Dutch family... so I guess you aren't wrong??

Torrannor posted:

He's living in Berlin right now.

:techno: :slick:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apparently Switzerland are thinking about not letting players with dual nationalities play for the national team anymore? lmao

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.nzz.ch/sport/fussball-w...leme-ld.1401244

quote:

Schweizer Fussball-Generalsekretär sagt: «Mit Doppelnationalitäten schaffen wir Probleme»

Alex Miescher fordert von der Schweizer Politik, dass sie sich die Frage stellt, ob man noch Doppelnationalitäten will. Der Verband kann sich vorstellen, nur noch Fussballer zu fördern, die auf eine zweite Nationalität verzichten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If this happens, i will give up my Swiss passport and solely focus on getting into the Dutch team fyi

• Locked thread