Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

There are actually very few enemy encounters in SOMA but the ones that exist are pretty intense

this sounds awesome, i'm going to try it.

when i googled it i just got lingerie results at first though, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bicyclops posted:

this sounds awesome, i'm going to try it.

when i googled it i just got lingerie results at first though, lol

SOMA is definitely the best of the walking sim horror games . it manages to capture both the claustrophobia of being deep under the ocean and the phobia whose name i forget where you're in a wide open space under the ocean . I don't think the monster encounters are that great and kinda suffer from the same problem they do in every weaponless horror game where repeatedly getting caught stops being scary and just becomes annoying, but they're handled better in SOMA than they are in other games like Outlast and Amnesia and you can turn them off entirely and just play it as pure walking sim.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goferchan posted:

SOMA is definitely the best of the walking sim horror games . it manages to capture both the claustrophobia of being deep under the ocean and the phobia whose name i forget where you're in a wide open space under the ocean . I don't think the monster encounters are that great and kinda suffer from the same problem they do in every weaponless horror game where repeatedly getting caught stops being scary and just becomes annoying, but they're handled better in SOMA than they are in other games like Outlast and Amnesia and you can turn them off entirely and just play it as pure walking sim.

the devs added it in after so many people modded the monsters out and such as an acknowledgement that a lot of people just don't like worrying about that in this kind of game which i thought was neat. i got annoyed with a certain encounter and turned that setting on myself lol

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

i know a lot of people hate Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, but i really liked it. I think combat game mechanics kind of distract from the horror for me or soemthing

I think it's an alright game but I don't think it should've been a Silent Hill game. It's probably still the best post PS2 era Silent Hill game, though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kongming posted:

I think it's an alright game but I don't think it should've been a Silent Hill game. It's probably still the best post PS2 era Silent Hill game, though.

it has some major execution issues but i think it does something that almost no other game has done since, where hovering the camera over a poster on the wall or talking to someone a specific way changes the way people look, what memories you have and what the monsters look like. it's also an extremely short game, which it should be, so that you can replay and gently caress around with doing things differently. i can't think of anything even remotely similar except maybe The Path, which i've only read about but seems Extremely Bad.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The flashlight was the real MVP of Shattered Memories

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

its cool that every single person laughed at cornelius boots playing his japan style flute and now were all owned because hes more qualified to play the thing than like 99% of japanese people

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i didnt laugh at cornelius boot. i didnt watch the presentation either though

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Okay you arent owned but if you saw it you would be

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

It was extremely chill and gave me chill vibes

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

HORMELCHILI posted:

its cool that every single person laughed at cornelius boots playing his japan style flute and now were all owned because hes more qualified to play the thing than like 99% of japanese people

I did not.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

anyone wanna do a Blops III campaign run with me later? I tried it last night and thought it sucked big rear end. I wanna try co-op before uninstalling

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

anyone wanna do a Blops III campaign run with me later? I tried it last night and thought it sucked big rear end. I wanna try co-op before uninstalling

I can.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the blops campaign is boring bc it plays like COD but it has cool looking sets bc of the mind jacking gimmick.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

hell yeah

I got to the drone flying part in the 2nd mission and turned it off lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Is this what watching Quake champions atoused your FPS almonds to do. I’m so sorry my ninja.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

no I already played it before jacking into the stream

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

hell yeah

I got to the drone flying part in the 2nd mission and turned it off lol

That's basically the last normal mission the game has

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I remember starting the co op campaign like three times with Imps and the first two missions are such a boring walk n talk slog that it always fell apart before the third one. Maybe this will be different...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The best level is the one that pokes fun at COD's decade long history of milsim nonsense and then the next game they made was CODWWII and it was their most successful release in ages, sigh

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

In Training posted:

The best level is the one that pokes fun at COD's decade long history of milsim nonsense and then the next game they made was CODWWII and it was their most successful release in ages, sigh

Treyarch made BO3, Sledgehammer was WWII

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I know but it was still a funny juxtaposition.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

In Training posted:

don’t forget the CoD set in space

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
this is probably unpopular, but fallout seems like it has potential to be cool, with the way they're structuring stuff and designing the multiplayer. it also seems to have a lot of veterans of good MMO studios behind it, which maybe doesn't mean too much, but could be fun. anything that reduces bethesda's writing in a game is probably a good thing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

this is probably unpopular, but fallout seems like it has potential to be cool, with the way they're structuring stuff and designing the multiplayer. it also seems to have a lot of veterans of good MMO studios behind it, which maybe doesn't mean too much, but could be fun. anything that reduces bethesda's writing in a game is probably a good thing.

it's a hacked together fallout 4 multiplayer mod and they're reusing a bunch of assets

i will not share the enthusiasm...

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sharkopath posted:

it's a hacked together fallout 4 multiplayer mod and they're reusing a bunch of assets

i will not share the enthusiasm...

i mean, you're not wrong...

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I remember starting the co op campaign like three times with Imps and the first two missions are such a boring walk n talk slog that it always fell apart before the third one. Maybe this will be different...

I think I played the intro with you and various other imps like 5 times before someone had to go and, see you next time (there was never a next time)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

its going to be worse than even the shittiest multiplayer skyrim mod for at least 2 years

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's the kind of game that would be hurt the most by Bethesda's flaws, most of all by the fact that once you break into the hidden numbers behind stuff like settlement design, it's not just riddled with bugs, it's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bicyclops posted:

It's the kind of game that would be hurt the most by Bethesda's flaws, most of all by the fact that once you break into the hidden numbers behind stuff like settlement design, it's not just riddled with bugs, it's weird.

well, i think that's why it has a chance to be good. there's a completely different team doing the balancing, and they're all experienced MMO designers. bethesda maryland is only marginally involved.

• Locked thread