Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
Looks like an awful lot of players to be rested against Iceland... Croatians still confident?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
With six points, sure. To lose the first spot in the group we'd have to lose to Iceland and Argentina would have to lose to Nigeria and I believe both games would have to be 3-0.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

The only thing I worry about is that France forgets how to football tomorrow and loses to Denmark. And then they get their act together in the round of 16 and kill us.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
all the big teams are complete poo poo. i reckon croatia could win the whole thing

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Yeah, looks good. Like semi-finals at least.

That's what I thought on the last Euro too... :/

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
it's coming home, to zagreb

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I am fully on the Croatia train and you should be too

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

That was almost a very short ride.

I hear car horns on the streets, but I'm not celebrating. I feel like someone beat me up with a stick. The game was bad and what worries me is that Dalić didn't respond timely. There was a period of over 20 minutes in the second half when we were powerless. We couldn't respond to pressing in the midfield, we couldn't organize an attack. This changed when Kovačić replaced Brozović, but why didn't they do it 15 minutes earlier?

Danish players are saying that they were a better team and deserved to win but I don't think so. I mean, props for the great fight and maybe they deserved the win as a weaker team that gave their best but I believe we had more goal chances and were dominant a larger part of the game.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
loving hell lads

also I'm not letting the win get in the way of the fact that no red for hacking down a guy in front of a literal open goal is a rule now, bullshit imo

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Vando posted:

loving hell lads

also I'm not letting the win get in the way of the fact that no red for hacking down a guy in front of a literal open goal is a rule now, bullshit imo

apparently it got changed a couple years ago so that if he "makes a legitimate challenge for the ball" he only gets yellow. this was after a whole ton of English journos got up in arms about "triple punishment" in a few big Premier League games.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
yes, it's a stupid rule. if you don't want to send a guy off and give a penalty then at least give a penalty goal like you'd get in rugby and we can all move on with our lives

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Yeah same.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I have to check the replay, but k don't think the defender was close enough to make a legitimate play at the ball.

And gently caress it, make it a triple punishment to stop fouling gamesmanship being a thing.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Amoeba102 posted:

I have to check the replay, but k don't think the defender was close enough to make a legitimate play at the ball.

And gently caress it, make it a triple punishment to stop fouling gamesmanship being a thing.

So what should the punishment for diving for a penalty be then. Its just as destructive to the game

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Byolante posted:

So what should the punishment for diving for a penalty be then. Its just as destructive to the game

death

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
banned for as long as the opposition are out of the tournament

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

vivisectvnv posted:

za dom spremni

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Byolante posted:

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Turns out we are frauds after all. Couldn't beat Denmark, couldn't beat Russia, and yet we're in semi-finals somehow. But frauds win championships occasionally. And we play better as underdogs.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

is that dude about to get a bj in the fountain or what the gently caress

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Doctor Malaver posted:

Turns out we are frauds after all. Couldn't beat Denmark, couldn't beat Russia, and yet we're in semi-finals somehow. But frauds win championships occasionally. And we play better as underdogs.

you're in the semis because you beat those teams op. congrats

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

quote:

A bit of breaking news now that may lead to Croatia defender Domagoj Vida being banned from playing against England – and a potential World Cup final, if they win on Wednesday.

Fifa is investigating a video of Croatia defender Domagoj Vida and former player Ognjen Vukojevic dedicating their penalty shootout win over Russia on Saturday to Ukraine. In the video, Vida shouts “Glory to Ukraine” in Ukrainian and Vukojevic says “this victory is for Dynamo and for Ukraine” in Croatian. Vida, who scored a header in extra-time to give Croatia a 2-1 lead and a penalty in the shootout, and Vukojevic both played for Dynamo Kiev and the latter still works for the Ukrainian club as a scout.

“Glory to Ukraine” is the war cry of the Ukrainian army but has also become more widely associated with the simmering conflict on the country’s eastern border with Russia and in Crimea, which Russia has claimed since 2014, despite international condemnation. Fifa said it “is processing the different reports of the said match as well as potential evidence concerning the matter” but said it could not comment any further until it has “evaluated all information available”.

Section 54 of Fifa’s disciplinary code categorically bans political slogans and anyone “who provokes the general public during a match will be suspended for two matches.” This would rule the 29-year-old Vida out of Wednesday’s semi-final against England and end his tournament.

Edit: he got a warning from fifa

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 8, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ZeeBoi posted:

Edit: he got a warning from fifa

Good lads imo

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

i can't believe you lot are the most bearable of the bunch

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Croatia aren't that bad surely?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Nobody really knows. We played great in the group phase but poorly after that. If we were complete and rested I'd give us at least equal chances against England. But with many players exhausted/half-injured/expelled I think we have 40%. I believe those are bookies' odds too.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 11, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It’s loving happening

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

good job croatian goons

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Very naice, op's

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Having a huge lmao at Kalinic right now the loving idiot fucker

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol if croatia win after extra time in every game it just proves France are gash

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Gigi Galli posted:

i hope they win it and he runs on the pitch in full kit like john terry

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Well done Croatia, it is good to have two proper footballing teams in the World Cup Final.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

lol

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Reminds me of Feels Guy.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Sad King Billy posted:

Well done Croatia, it is good to have two proper footballing teams in the World Cup Final.

belgium lost m9

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

belgend posted:

belgium lost m9

Well one proper footballing team in the 3rd place match, Belgium v Croatia would have been a better final.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Gigi Galli posted:

lol same

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Does kalinic still get to be world champion if croatia win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

Does kalinic still get to be world champion if croatia win

I think he does since he was on the final roster but it's Croatia so I could see them telling him to gently caress off.

• Locked thread