Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Need this in the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

From today's Guardian cartoon

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
lmao awesome

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
So looks like Hummels is out of the team (probably for Rüdiger, even though I would prefer Süle tbh) and Hector is back in. If it is Rüdiger let's hope he's not having one of his howlers today because it'll not be a very high scoring game and even just one big fuckup could really mess things up.

Then there's suggestions of Gomez starting which kind of makes sense if the game becomes very static around the swedish box. In that kind of situation he's probably more useful and Werner could come on later when defenders are tired. Hoping there's a good plan for breaking the swedish defence past having Kimmich lob in cross after cross (and hopefully that plan doesn't involve Draxler...)

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

frankenfreak posted:

Neuer - Kimmich, J. Boateng, Rüdiger, J. Hector - Rudy, T. Kroos - T. Müller, Reus, Draxler - Ti. Werner

This team would have made a lot of sense versus Mexico actually. Not sure against Sweden we will have much use for this kind of setup that looks more useful for counterattacking.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I wouldn't agree that Hummels and Boateng have become noticably worse, they and the rest of the defence are just playing insanely risky at the moment (especially Boateng yesterday) which makes them look bad more often.

In yesterday's game we were desperately chasing a goal so Hector and Kimmich got pushed up incredibly high while Kroos dropped back a little, creating kind of a back three Kroos-Rüdiger-Boateng. From this Boateng constantly bombed forward and dribbled closer to the box trying to make stuff happen. This is a position where normally a midfielder would be and where you expect some mistakes to happen every now and then but since it's the CB in there every mistake now means being exposed at the back and open to a counter.

I really, really hope that in later rounds Löw drops this ultrarisky approach and sets up the team more deep. I also hope that this was the last time we saw Draxler in the starting eleven, he didn't seem to contribute anything much and Werner was so much better on that side.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Guys this is bad. Real bad.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

pidan posted:

They're way ahead of you

How did they manage to be so bad though? Don't German teams generally play pretty well? Didn't Neuer win best keeper in the world a bit ago? For the first time, I'm tempted to read some football journalism.

I can seriouspost a bit more in depth if you're interested but basically some of the players weren't 100% playing at the normal level, the playing style wasn't 100% suited for the team's weaknesses, even though they created many chances the finishing wasn't of high enough quality to convert the chances (or the chances were low quality) and Löw probably thought/hoped the team would get into a better run of form during the tournament (as was the custom in other tournaments) but that didn't happen.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Since Flick left as assistant (2014 I think?) the results have been mysteriously getting worse and worse...

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Tahirovic posted:

Kroos is stupidly overrated, so are Özil and Draxler.

Kroos has been a nailed-on starter for Madrid in the last four seasons and won the CL three times in a row with them. Think he might be p good at football tbh.

In contrast I'm not sure there's many people who rate Draxler in the first place (except Löw, who seemed to be the future of German football in him).

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Werner is not bad he just shouldn't go into a match as centre forward because he's not good at that. Werner, Müller and Reus were all drifting around at the front and I guess the hope was that one of them (or some midfielder) will be there at the right time to score but that didn't really work that often.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Tahirovic posted:

Kroos gets carried at Madrid, hth.

Saying Kroos is good because he always plays is like saying Khedira was amazing because he started twice this WC. Some coaches just have their favorites and play them regardless of actual form.

Either there's a conspracy of Ancelotti, Benitez, Zidane and Löw to play Kroos even though he's a fraud or maybe there's a simple explanation like having a holding midfielder such as Casemiro or Schweinsteiger behind Kroos allows him to play really well as seen at Madrid or in 2014.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Lucky for Löw that he has some better options than Beinlich or Rehmer so he might last until the Euros and not just September. The media is going to be brutal from now on I'd assume.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Just read his tweets, him dunking on Grindel is pretty great lmao. Did he publish it only in English? The whole thing is very political from a footballer, which is fairly unusual and I wonder what kind of discussion might come out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Einbauschrank posted:

I get the impression Grindel is an abgehalfterter Alt-CDUler who got his position on other merits than his qualifications.

:monocle:

• Locked thread