Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I donated thorough ADMA in Atlanta while I was in college, and they'd switched from issuing checks to using a prepaid debit card. The card has a gently caress ton of fees if you use it like a regular debit card, so I just set up a Square account to move the money to my regular bank account. Since on the debit side, the first transaction after a donation was free, I only lost the Square transaction fee. Compared to ATM fees or per-transaction fees, it was less money lost.

Time of day when you go in is a major factor in how fast you get in and out, the later in the day you go, the longer you'll usually have to wait for both the iron/bp/pulse screening and to just get in a chair to donate.

I always made sure to have at least a snack within the hour prior to showing up, or else I'd risk having problems that would get me disconnected early and loving everything up: feeling hot, ringing in the ears to the exclusion of outside sounds, vision starting to go grey around the edges.

You will probably be cold while you're hooked up, and moreso when they inject saline at the end. Bring a jacket. Something to do while you sit there is good too...don't know if other companies provide TVs to watch but I was never much of a TV person anyway. They might have free WiFi, mine did.

If you're the kind of person who's into tattoos, a new tattoo will get you a (iirc) year on the deferral list, meaning unable to donate plasma or whole blood. Piercings too, both are HIV/hepatitis risks because they can't guarantee the cleanliness of wherever you went. And not reporting either to get around it is a good way to get permanently blacklisted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread