Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I work with the elderly and honestly, just taking a genuine interest in them will elicit good vibes and some interesting stories. Recently I had a lady telling me about losing her job and so deciding to visit her sister in Baghdad, where she ending up being proposed to in a Russian summer compound by some dude who she'd only met that evening and who could barely speak English. Apparently his proposal was "You single lady, I single man. You marry me, have eight babies, get medal for being military hero wife" - none of this impressed her because she's always valued her freedom over everything.

Be genuine, ask meaningful stuff about their past and intetests, and I'm sure you'll both have a great time. Older people are so used to being written off that it means a lot to just be treated like a normal person, so they're usually happy to just chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

BattyKiara posted:

Always ask old people about food. What they miss from the old days. And suddenly you have some old lady telling you about the time during WW2 when someone made a meat pie out of seagulls and an illegally caught fox. Or how much they miss a particular cocktail the local distiller used to make if you knew the secret password.

The last time I visited my granddad, age 79, he told me the worst thing about being on the final stage of cancer ward was that the nurses didn't bring him beer. He had lost his appetite, food just didn't taste right anymore, but he missed beer. Beer made him remember how until he retired, he would go out every Friday and drink exactly two beers with his work mates. So I did the only thing you can do in that situation. I went out and bought him five cans of different beers. He drank three of them right then and there, at eleven in the morning. Saved the other two for later. Happy day. (He died less than three days later. Doubt the beer had anything to do with that, but even if it did, no regrets. He deserved those last beers. Never did tell my mum about them...)

Good lad. I work with the elderly around health and social care interventions, but damned if I am going to tell my 88 year old drinker or smoker to stop. At a certain point, ain't nothin' killing you faster than the slow march of time. People should enjoy what they can when life makes it difficult to do so.

• Locked thread