Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

poisonpill posted:

*Ding ding ding*
Also every other thing I've read by Wolfe feels like some hack freshman comp emulating New Journalism. I know that's cart before horse but I hate his style so much.

Tbh, while I liked The Right Stuff (despite a few how-could-he-really-have-known-that? reservations), the more I read about Wolfe, the more I dislike and distrust him. The stuff about Wolfe's PhD dissertation in this article comes to mind. The Vanity Fair article mentions it to portray Wolfe as a mischievous iconoclast in conflict with the stodgy fellow-traveler-of-fellow-travelers professors, and I can't say I have much sympathy for the professors, but the article still makes clear that Wolfe was guilty of some pretty serious dishonesty.

Vanity Fair posted:

To top it all off … he’d taken some license with the details. One outraged reviewer compared Wolfe’s text with his cited sources and attached the comparison. Sample Wolfe passage: “At one point ‘the Cuban delegation’ tramped in. It was led by a fierce young woman named Lola de la Torriente. With her bobbed hair, leather jacket, and flat-heeled shoes, she looked as though she had just left the barricades. Apparently she had. ‘This is where our literature is being built,’ exclaimed she, ‘on the barricades!’ ” Huffed the reviewer: “There is no description of her in the source, and the quotations do not appear in the reference.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread