Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Sorry I'm late to the game. So Progressive is some sort of future spin of FLCL2 or does it all tie in? I'm really looking forward to watching how it plays out (and the excellent music). Seems like the plot moves a bit faster in this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

As far as we know, FLCL Progressive takes place after original FLCL. Anything else is a mystery as of now.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Reminder, episode goes under authentication mode tomorrow morning, so you still have time to watch cable-free.

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/flcl/freebie-honey/

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

livingfruitvirus posted:

Reminder, episode goes under authentication mode tomorrow morning, so you still have time to watch cable-free.

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/flcl/freebie-honey/

It's already coming up as authentication mode for me.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Mokinokaro posted:

It's already coming up as authentication mode for me.

Really? I'm seeing this:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also a small correction: Alternative is not airing directly after Progressive, but starts in September. I forgot.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

:catstare:

Well, okay then.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

impression I'm getting after these first episodes: the first FLCL was about a weird little boy who was inexplicably attractive to all the women/girls in the show and about him developing into adolescence. Just like in the real world, the media has now realized that women are, in fact, people, and not plot tools to be attracted to any given weird little boy, and so FLCL Progressive is about how young girls are not just the few archetypes that exist in the media, but have complicated inner lives just like young boys.

this should be obvious, but given the target audience, this is probably a lesson that more anime should explore.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

impression I'm getting after these first episodes: the first FLCL was about a weird little boy who was inexplicably attractive to all the women/girls in the show and about him developing into adolescence.

that's really not what the first series was about and there was nothing "inexplicable" about why the three girls of the series were into naota

mamimi and ninamori also had pretty rich inner lives in their own right (albeit ones with considerable emotional damage) so i don't know where you're getting this take from

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

that's really not what the first series was about and there was nothing "inexplicable" about why the three girls of the series were into naota

mamimi and ninamori also had pretty rich inner lives in their own right (albeit ones with considerable emotional damage) so i don't know where you're getting this take from

Yeah, Marquis de Carabas was pretty much about Ninamori's inner life. It showed her family issues, why she did what she did, whole thing.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Well then

FLC once more spends most of its episode pointing out how incredibly horny its teenage protagonists are, only to repeatedly humiliate them. :haw:

Also, did we just meet our equivalent to Eyebrow dude...?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I know it's early but original FLCL makes more sense than this so far.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Ularg posted:

This.

I don't seem to understand this season at all. Maybe they're working on a big tie together later, but it seems like every episode is so disjointed and not at all leading to anything. The original series had wacky shots of Naota having crap spring from the bandage on his head and then having to fight them off. This, so far, seems to be more cheesecake and inexplicable madness. I will reserve judgment for later, though.

I want to see a grown up Naota being a badass or even Eyebrows Mk.2

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ularg posted:

honestly I kind of feel the opposite

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Arist posted:

honestly I kind of feel the opposite

Same I don’t think the original works very well while I know where this is going or at least trying.

Though I don’t think the original is very good.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I think this is actually shockingly straightforward, actually

While there's a lot unexplained at this stage, it's pretty easy to follow and not as manically disjointed as the original. Not strictly better or worse, but clearly different.

I hope Rent-A-Date girl gets some focus, she and Eyebrows 2.0

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the fact that we know full well that haruko is Bad News at once makes this series more straightforward and less so, because the main plot is clear enough (haruko's doing skullduggery in an attempt to get atomsk back again) but all the side details and the show's overall themes are still foggy

the first FLCL's "it's about adolescence, stupid" was clear as a bell once you got past all the weird imagery, but growing up is a lot more complicated these days and hibajiri herself is way more maladjusted than naota

then you have this weird conspiracy going on in the background which i don't really like, the implication that hibajiri's the target of some shadowy experiment seems too contrived

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I think the weird thing is that Haruko is two characters now with the more reserved side of her being Jinyu. So Haruko is basically this super condensed wacky manipulative persona just going all out.

But as an impression, it feels like those two are more guardian angels as they are characters in the world. Like FLCL you had Naota and Haruko actually interacting with each other as (weird) people. While I get the impression that this time Haruko and Jinyu are there but like I said they feel more like an angel and devil over your shoulder than characters that are cemented in the world.

I'm not knocking it. I think Ko Ide and Hidomi can be great characters without Haruko/Jinyu being around.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm a big fan of Jinyu continuing to be cool even when coated head to toe in concrete.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm a big fan of Jinyu continuing to be cool even when coated head to toe in concrete.

I absolutely love it. Then just casually busting your legs and arms out when she needs it. Jinyu is legitimately awesome.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

The best part was her giving a serious, meaningful speech to other characters, while actually being underwater

Jinyu does not care about your physics

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Progressive feels like they took the amount of characterization, visual gags, animation, and music in one episode of the original and stretched it out over six.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's a weird thing to feel because only three episodes have aired.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Bye, or whatever...

:negative:

just right in the :same: feels

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Not really sure how I'm feeling about this so far

I'm hoping it's like when I first watched the original and everything suddenly makes a ton of sense once I've seen the full thing while being a weird :confused: ride during the initial watch

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
That is part of it. I also think it's weird that they have already used two time jumps so far. Like the scene of the class looking at their year book makes me think they had an entire year time jump between the first and second episodes. And the third episode had a couple month time jump of Haruko stalking Hidomi.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ularg posted:

That is part of it. I also think it's weird that they have already used two time jumps so far. Like the scene of the class looking at their year book makes me think they had an entire year time jump between the first and second episodes. And the third episode had a couple month time jump of Haruko stalking Hidomi.

The first one was explicitly Haruko giving the class a mind whammy.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Waffleman_ posted:

That's a weird thing to feel because only three episodes have aired.

The story I can't pass judgement on yet because it wouldn't be fair until it finished but the animation is a gigantic downgrade from the original.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Tv budget =/= OVA budget, yeah, and it's true that the show does lose a little bit of charm without all of the flourishes you get from a higher budget such as more attention to detail, lots more background detail/action, and overall a less "frenetic" pace and choreography.

I think it's fair to compare this to the original because of the name and all of that, but you shouldn't judge the quality of the product based on 'it didn't do x, y, and z that the original flcl did'; rather, let the new show speak for itself as to whether it's good or not based on its own merits.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

drat, Jinyu is the best.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Julias posted:

I think it's fair to compare this to the original because of the name and all of that, but you shouldn't judge the quality of the product based on 'it didn't do x, y, and z that the original flcl did'; rather, let the new show speak for itself as to whether it's good or not based on its own merits.
Yeah in some ways it kind of reminds me of DieBuster and how some people who were disappointed in it were just expecting GunBuster again.

I think FLCL Progressive has more in common with FLCL Classic than DieBuster does with GunBuster in terms of tone, style etc., but that's still the comparison I keep coming back to even if Die was more extreme in its differences.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
FLCL Progressive + Alternative: My teacher totally El Kabang'd me

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
Progressive Three episodes in:
* Seriously? Episode 2 Ide is in slum town pulling garbage around and selling pellet guns to Americans? There was literally nothing this unrealistic in the first series (barring robots, aliens). This is something from Kill la Kill.
* The openings of these episodes have had me more hopeful than the remainder. There's no connection of the Hidomi in her dreams vs her waking life. We knew why Naota was upset in the first episode. I don't understand Hidomi AT ALL.
* Why did they go to the beach? Who invited Jinyu and Haruko? Why are we here? Who cares? It sucks because this messes up an interesting story about Mori. Do we care about Marco? Why is he here?
* When Haruko omniously says "Medical Mechanica" it feels like the whole thing is vanishing up its own rear end in a top hat.
* Why are the headphones important? Its halfway over stop teasing me.
* I don't think there's anything there to discover, but I'm open to something happening.

Alternative One episode in:
* So this is where the animation director from the first season went
* There's a nice mood to everything
* I appreciate that the base story is "girls build rocket" but there's an appreciable weirdness edging in at the sides
* Oh, now we live in a society where people go to space, nice
* This feels like FLCL, but a new story about (mostly) new characters
* I like when Haruko was surprised at the guitar
* "A Pin?"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm really unimpressed with Progressive so far.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

chefscientist posted:

Progressive Three episodes in:
* Seriously? Episode 2 Ide is in slum town pulling garbage around and selling pellet guns to Americans? There was literally nothing this unrealistic in the first series (barring robots, aliens). This is something from Kill la Kill.
* The openings of these episodes have had me more hopeful than the remainder. There's no connection of the Hidomi in her dreams vs her waking life. We knew why Naota was upset in the first episode. I don't understand Hidomi AT ALL.
* Why did they go to the beach? Who invited Jinyu and Haruko? Why are we here? Who cares? It sucks because this messes up an interesting story about Mori. Do we care about Marco? Why is he here?
* When Haruko omniously says "Medical Mechanica" it feels like the whole thing is vanishing up its own rear end in a top hat.
* Why are the headphones important? Its halfway over stop teasing me.
* I don't think there's anything there to discover, but I'm open to something happening.

hibajiri is severely depressed, to the point where she envisions herself as literally decaying from lack of drive and possibly fetishizes death and rot in general

the headphones are supposed to be a gift from her estranged and unseen dad but are apparently also an "enzyme inhibitor" that suppresses her gigantic N.O. field

i need to see how this series finishes up but i agree it lacks direction so far, even if i still think hibajiri's mental state is way more appropriate for contemporary kids

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I feel like now that Haruko and Jinyu are like "We gotta get MM," there's gonna be more of a clear throughline.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Oxxidation posted:

hibajiri is severely depressed, to the point where she envisions herself as literally decaying from lack of drive and possibly fetishizes death and rot in general

the headphones are supposed to be a gift from her estranged and unseen dad but are apparently also an "enzyme inhibitor" that suppresses her gigantic N.O. field

i need to see how this series finishes up but i agree it lacks direction so far, even if i still think hibajiri's mental state is way more appropriate for contemporary kids

Yeah, this story is in need of something egging it on to something else. It's frustrating because depression and extreme modern ennui could be really interesting through a filter like FLCL, but I just don't see the story actually utilizing it. It's very frustrating at how bland it is so far.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

chefscientist posted:

Yeah, this story is in need of something egging it on to something else. It's frustrating because depression and extreme modern ennui could be really interesting through a filter like FLCL, but I just don't see the story actually utilizing it. It's very frustrating at how bland it is so far.

I kinda feel like this might be the point.

It's almost as if....life feels listless, like nothing amazing happens here :geno:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

There's definitely nothing amazing happening with this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
At this point I'm more interested in Alternative since it may be the case where they'll have a lot more freedom to tell their own version of the story. FLCL didn't really seem like something that had a ongoing story to continue.

Though I still really like the characters. Hopefully that will carry me through.

• Locked thread