Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam

I'll start with an example:

What state would you be in if you were wondering about the reason you were indebted to a person from China?

Wyoming

(Only it's more fun when you let others guess)

Basically make a punny question/riddle with the theme of geographical places. The one rule is you can't have any parts of the place name in the question part. Notice how i had to get around using the word "why" and "owe" in the above example.

My punny friends and I came up with this while camping one time, I think starting with a joke about some US state we had been talking about. We got hooked on the idea and got through about 20 states before lying down for bed. Then every 5 minutes in the dark one of us would break the quiet with "hey hey what state would you be in if..." This went on for hours and i think we got every state by the end, freeing us from the terrible curse and allowing us to sleep at last. Now i pass the curse onto byob :spooky:

I forget most of the ones we made so this will be fun for me too, plus we should go beyond states and allow any city, country, province, etc. Try to clue people in to what category it is on your question (state, city, country, river??, etc)

Hopefully you get the basic idea. Pls quote the one you're guessing about when you post a guess!

FAQ

But alnilam, can i make a different joke about a place that's already been done itt?
Sure just don't be a dick and like call the original one bad or something. Unless you mean bad like "that pun was terrible" which any punster knows is actually a compliment.

If nobody guesses mine for a while and i really want to share the answer can i?
Sure i guess

Can i post another riddle while there's an unsolved one still around?
Yeah i don't mean this to be a sequential thing let the chaos begin... if anyone notices theirs hasn't been solved in quite a while feel free to quote it for a bump

How tortured/stretched can these puns be?
Well they're puns, so very. That night in the tent, some of ours were entire narratives a minute long required to set up the right conditions for the pun to work.

Don't puns not really work in written form?
Hmm much like your posting

alnilam fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

What state would you be in if you were a stereotypical 1920s mobster informing someone what your favorite sport is

Manifisto

*chomps cigar* tennis, see?

alnilam

Manifisto posted:

*chomps cigar* tennis, see?

*shoots a tommy gun at a wall.and the bullet holes say "correc" sorry i ran out of ammo and couldn't make the t*

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
In which state is an artist most likely to make a big deal concerning chroma scales?

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
What's the easiest state to get a tiny beverage in?

Manifisto

the state of perpetual bachelorhood

e: what is the state of perpetual bachelorhood? (it's a question not an answer)

Manifisto

Splatmaster posted:

What's the easiest state to get a tiny beverage in?

*scratches head* hmm he can't be talking about a u.s. state, small beverages are unamerican

mini soda

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Manifisto posted:

*scratches head* hmm he can't be talking about a u.s. state, small beverages are unamerican

mini soda

:)

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Manifisto

in what state are snappy retorts sold in convenient packaging?

alnilam

Manifisto posted:

mini soda

in which state might you make a mess on your shirt while trying to drink such a beverage?

alnilam

Splatmaster posted:

In which state is an artist most likely to make a big deal concerning chroma scales?

paint sale mania?

Manifisto

Splatmaster posted:

I like alnilam's, but

color ado

Manifisto

what state was named in anticipation of executing a criminal by guillotine?

alnilam

Manifisto posted:

I like alnilam's, but

color ado

ohh nice i misinterpreted "deal"

alnilam

Which state has exhausted its supply of the base material for making metal?

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Manifisto posted:

I like alnilam's, but

color ado

:peanut:correct!:peanut:

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

alnilam posted:

Which state has exhausted its supply of the base material for making metal?

Oregon

alnilam

Manifisto posted:

what state was named in anticipation of executing a criminal by guillotine?

con neck to cut

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

con neck to cut

ding ding ding ding ding!

that's not related to your answer, I just like to say "ding ding" a lot

however your answer is correct

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Q: What did Delaware?

A: a thong! :smug:

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

in which state might you make a mess on your shirt while trying to drink such a beverage?

I am going to tempt fate by wearing my new jersey while chugging my big gulp . . . and I don't even like jerseys . . . nor do I like soda really, and a big gulp is just too much of it . . . sometimes I just don't understand my motivations *spills drink* oh no!!!

alnilam

Manifisto posted:

in what state are snappy retorts sold in convenient packaging?

canned sass

alnilam

In what state might you declare your intention to pester someone?

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

canned sass

correct!

:can:

alnilam

:rznv:

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

In what state might you declare your intention to pester someone?

"je vais t'énerver," said the frenchman, snootily, between bites of his baguette, "or, as you americans might say, 'I'll annoy'"

alnilam

Manifisto posted:

"je vais t'énerver," said the frenchman, snootily, between bites of his baguette, "or, as you americans might say, 'I'll annoy'"

lol oui

Manifisto

this state is virtually emily post, it teaches how to express gratitude in britain

alnilam

What state is known for its large tubs for doing laundry?

Manifisto

this state was named after a pretty obscure woman, she's amazing but you probably haven't heard of her

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

What state is known for its large tubs for doing laundry?

washing tun

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

alnilam posted:

Are you talking about the consequence when you miss a sip, eew?

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
In what state do people have the largest teeth?

Manifisto

roomforthetuna posted:

In what state do people have the largest teeth?

I got two options for ya

what I think you meant

mass o' chew sets

but a bonus that almost makes sense

fluoride-a

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

Manifisto posted:

the state of perpetual bachelorhood

e: what is the state of perpetual bachelorhood? (it's a question not an answer)

bump

google THIS

That's a tough one

It could be a state of misery

Or maybe you'll just always be a virgin, ya?

On the other hand, if you still engage in fornication with a girl named Cally, you might say "I da ho."

google THIS

What state has the highest concentration of friendly anime fans?

roomforthetuna

Bit of a stretch: which state makes werewolf-hide leather?

(Side question that also functions as a bit of a hint: if you made werewolf-leather, would it just be human skin most of the time?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna

google THIS posted:

What state has the highest concentration of friendly anime fans?
Hawaii? I'm doing pretty well thanks.

• Locked thread