Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I believe trophies disappear after like 30s but don't quote me, only played a few games since then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I believe trophies disappear after like 30s but don't quote me, only played a few games since then

I’m dumb and you’re 100% correct. It’s even in the drat patch notes.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i never played a battle royale game but the price is right and im bored so i'll give it a shot

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Been playing this for the first time tonight, if your PC can run Paladins it can run this, or if you can browse the forums it can run this

So far:

Pros:

Runs well
Free
Fun half the time

Cons:

Slow projectiles, more of a strategy game than a competitive shooter
Maps are too big, 85-100 players rewards campers more than aggressive play
Rank/MMR is based on how long you last and place well, not your other stats at all

All pretty patchable problems but I think they like the young audience and probably won't turn it into UT2003 Royale Edition

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Anyone think they change the matchmaking a bit? Since yesterdays patch there feels like a complete absence of chumps lost in the wilderness. Instead my opponents are returning fire and even scoring hits. I mean, it makes for a better game but the change was kind of surprising.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Theres a bug where you get a chicken head if your sentry dies as an engineer

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure that I agree with camping being rewarded. If the final two are someone who spent the game camping and sneaking into the middle, vs someone who played aggressive and won a ton of fights, the aggressive player is going to be way better geared and have a huge advantage. You just can't get the best loot unless you're killing people and taking their poo poo.

As for the MMR system, I think it's still being worked on. The way it works now is like a linear treadmill where you can't downrank. I'm not even sure it plays any role in matchmaking at all yet.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

extra stout posted:

85-100 players rewards campers more than aggressive play

Your other cons are debatable, but this one is SUUUUPER wrong.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Your other cons are debatable, but this one is SUUUUPER wrong.

The first 30 idiots dive down together and die from giant hitbox knife slashing sure, but have you ever spectated the person who killed you? I've only played ten games, spectated my murderer three times and all three times they won 1st place. Could just be a weird coincidence but all three of them had full gold armor and sat behind a boulder occasionally looking out, it was awful to watch

edit

this game is too bad for words sorry i typed about it at all

extra stout fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 14, 2018

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Our strat for regular victories has been dropping hot and rolling from forge to forge killing teams. There's a big attackers advantage into forge buildings with the exception of when the enemy team has an engineer with firebomb/shield.

You get 50 shards for killing a player, which is worth looting between 2-3 buildings, and someone who fights for forges, legendary drops, and hunts down other players is going to quickly outstrip the resources of a player who avoids confrontation and tries to loot. The majority of the games I play are decided by whether or not I seize momentum quickly and then roll with it until the final forge drops out of the circle.

I dropped in a bronze-ish mmr game with some friends and the final circle was me with all legendary equipment vs. four other people who spent the entire round hiding in buildings or behind trees and bushes, and they ended up all dying to single bursts because of the equipment difference. They had essentially no chance of winning an engagement against me.

The only time you can really let off the aggression is when you've maxed out your equipment, but even at that point you're better off taking and holding forges just to deny enemy teams the ability to max out their equipment.

But yeah, slow projectiles are definitely a thing, but they just reduced the weapon hitboxes to the point where it's almost universally better to be using the hitscan weapons like the heirloom, revolver, and shotgun instead of any of the other equipment. The only class weapons that made it out of the nerf okay were the grenade launcher and the bow.

Rank is based on wins accrued. I have no idea if match making reflects rank though.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 14, 2018

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

extra stout posted:

Been playing this for the first time tonight, if your PC can run Paladins it can run this, or if you can browse the forums it can run this

So far:

Pros:

Runs well
Free
Fun half the time

Cons:

Slow projectiles, more of a strategy game than a competitive shooter
Maps are too big, 85-100 players rewards campers more than aggressive play
Rank/MMR is based on how long you last and place well, not your other stats at all

All pretty patchable problems but I think they like the young audience and probably won't turn it into UT2003 Royale Edition

The game heavily punishes camping because you won't have nearly as much gear as the people who fight a lot.

Also it's way less of a strategy game, time to kill is usually fast as gently caress so as soon as you get someone in sight, one of you dies.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The game heavily punishes camping because you won't have nearly as much gear as the people who fight a lot.

Also it's way less of a strategy game, time to kill is usually fast as gently caress so as soon as you get someone in sight, one of you dies.

My criticism was probably poor because the real thing I hate about the game is 10 year old kids shooting me with buckshot but somehow doing 1500 damage from a mile away and they didn't even have their hands or feet on the keyboard or mouse

The aim is real real poo poo

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

TTK dropped on average after they reduced weapon hitboxes, but more skilled nonaverage players will mulch people in about a second.

A fully drawn hunter bow getting a headshot (which used to not be a thing) combined with a legendary blast arrow is an immediate 2550 damage, which means that anyone except for a full armored/shield potioned person at full health will be chickened immediately. That combo can be done about every three seconds.

A wizard with a legendary shotgun can get ~1,000 damage per shotgun shot, and can do a 900 damage fireball. Two shotgun blasts and that fireball will finish off anyone regardless of shield potions, and that fireball can be shot every 2.8s when they've got their helmet. If they have ice block, that lasts long enough that they can fire their fireball, wait the duration out, and then fire another fireball without taking any return damage.

An assassin can shoot you in the head for 2,200 damage. I guess they could follow up with a concussion bomb if they're close enough.

Warrior can leap for 600, shotgun for 1,000, charge for 400, and then finish you off with another shotgun blast or I guess a netshot if they have netshot for some stupid reason.

extra stout posted:

My criticism was probably poor because the real thing I hate about the game is 10 year old kids shooting me with buckshot but somehow doing 1500 damage from a mile away and they didn't even have their hands or feet on the keyboard or mouse

The aim is real real poo poo

TBH you don't really have business getting shot beyond medium range by any of the guns except for the heirloom rifle or revolver. All of the classes are extremely mobile (except the engineer, but he can at least jump on his horse and wiggle around at range) and the projectiles are pretty slow. The patch yesterday made it so that it's a lot more difficult to hit with most of the projectile weapons because they fixed the massive hitboxes on the projectiles.

I've watched people stare into projectiles with probably 3/4ths of a second to react against them, and they opt to take it on the chin instead of holding any of the two directional keys or pressing any of the ability keys that would make them not be hit by it.

The onus is on the defender to not get hit at long ranges (with exception to the hitscan weapons, of course.)

Commoners fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 14, 2018

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Maybe I'm playing the wrong game because this still feels like Paladins if you replaced the guns with nerf bazookas that you aim with an ipad. Everyone camps corners and waits for a sound so they can shoot me in the back with a nerf bazooka. I can log in Quake after a ten year break and still take games, but this game is half load time half going 'what the gently caress was that poo poo'

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

extra stout posted:

Maybe I'm playing the wrong game because this still feels like Paladins if you replaced the guns with nerf bazookas that you aim with an ipad. Everyone camps corners and waits for a sound so they can shoot me in the back with a nerf bazooka. I can log in Quake after a ten year break and still take games, but this game is half load time half going 'what the gently caress was that poo poo'

Well it's a 3rd person shooter as opposed to a first person one. You gotta use the information available to you, which is what everyone's doing.

Ali Zaybak
Oct 29, 2012

extra stout posted:

Yeah, that's just battle royale games really too imo. Being a vulture/slinking around is pretty good (as long as you can get regular kills that way). Just a new/different playstyle in this type of shooter.

Ali Zaybak fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 15, 2018

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

extra stout posted:

Are you new to BR games in general or something?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As far as camping goes this is a pretty bad game to camp compared to PUBG.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

The only time it's safe to camp is if you already have your gear and abilities maxed out, and even then it's not too good unless you're camping a forge to prevent other teams from utilizing it. There's some fringe cases where camping is the ideal strat, but almost always you want to be jockeying for position and hunting down other teams instead of hanging out somewhere like a dweeb.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Being shot in the back while fighting someone else sounds like the BR solo-queue experience. Duo warriors leaping onto folks is more my speed.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It's actually annoying how hard it is to get good abilities as mage and engineer. They seem like the least popular classes so you can't just kill other people for abilities.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It doesn't help that engineer's abilities are bad for the most part either. In a game where burst damage is king having a turret with bad range plink at someone for 5-10% of their health is basically meaningless. At best it's an early warning system that someone is outside your forge

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

For engineer you want to use healing totem and barrier imo. Lets you reset virtually any fight that isn't in knife distance.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Is there a goon RR discord yet?

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

It's actually annoying how hard it is to get good abilities as mage and engineer. They seem like the least popular classes so you can't just kill other people for abilities.

Mage is popular and the wall ability has no legendary version so just keep a legendary flask if you get one in your inventory and you should be able to easily get fireball every game. I got 5 wins on mage yesterday, fireball is busted.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
Won the second game I played, therefore I can declare it the best royale game. Waiting for poo poo to forge at the forge got kinda boring but maybe I'm not used to the slower paced nature of this genre yet.

I played Hunter since passively gaining armour and health slowly seemed really useless

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
None of the passives are really great to be honest, your class is more about abilities and to a slightly lesser extent your legendary weapon. I guess the Assassin's move speed is nice.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

By good do you mean their rarity (rare, epic, etc) or just the particular choice of abilities you want? Because pretty much every mage ability is useful and it's not super hard to get a white fireball if you just open chests around.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I meant rarity and a white fireball is lovely. 10 second CD is so long in this game.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm Commander Elentor and this is my favorite spot in all of Realm Royale:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm thoroughly confused about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF04GAmxrSY

The game states there are 3 players, one of them dies and the game ends.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I really really like this game. I’ve put maybe 15 hours into PUBG and 20 hours into Fortnite, and neither really clicked for me.

The forging system is a really fun way to make moving through the map and not just hiding fun.

Also GUNTOWN is the best but don’t tell anyone

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Problem is usually games start with 80-84 people and it gets abandoned midgame. But yeah the forge system is good. I love how it draws people to me, more blood for the blood God.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah the early game is a murderfest. In solo by the time the first circle closes 3/4s of the people are dead.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this game is easy, accessible and fun

my only problem so far is that i missed that i could disenchant items and could upgrade stuff without a kill. my third game i found a room above a forge as an engineer and hung out like a spider. i had a favorable circle and ended the game #2 with one kill. i absolutely would have won if i had been able to upgrade, since i had the whole place to myself

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I like this game.

I tried playing PUBG at launch, but only played it solo (I rarely do group stuff), and I bounced off PUBG loving HARD. Even group stuff never seemed appealing because one of my main problems with PUBG was just getting sniped from all the way across the map and never knowing where I was getting attacked from.

Fortnite? gently caress Fortnite. I never had any interest in that game.

I downloaded this game and tried it today and I think I kinda love it. I still don't quite have a grasp on everything and I've only played like five games. But gently caress, this is fun, even as solo.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
the lag at the start of a match is getting really obnoxious, the server doesnt start behaving until like 20 people have died.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Would you all be interested in creating a Discord channel for Realm Royale Goons so we can plan games together?

Senethro
May 18, 2005

You would be doing blessed work saving lost souls from solo queue.

You should all try playing with a squad. Pubs just don't know what to do against coordinated dives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Senethro posted:

You would be doing blessed work saving lost souls from solo queue.

You should all try playing with a squad. Pubs just don't know what to do against coordinated dives.

Alright then, I just created a Discord for anyone who wants to join.

https://discord.gg/bxVeGen

• Locked thread