Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
5 matches 4 wins I love this game playing with no matchmaking is the best feeling ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I hope the skill changes are at least a nerf to fireball and ice block

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Patch Notes:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/813820/announcements/detail/1681414081350883164

NYI on Live, currently on Test Server.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think this is a bit important to mention here: The double shot bug is not mage-only contrary to what you may be led to believe since most videos circulating the Internet show mages doing it. If you see assassins from afar hitting a sword in the air and dealing damage to you, run the gently caress away.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Weird, they've added 3 new hitscan weapons and changed two existing weapons to hitscan. I wonder why? I thought they were leaning quite heavily into 'we dont like hitscan weapons' as part of their design philosophy

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Bardeh posted:

Weird, they've added 3 new hitscan weapons and changed two existing weapons to hitscan. I wonder why? I thought they were leaning quite heavily into 'we dont like hitscan weapons' as part of their design philosophy

people literally threw a shitfit

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Hypothesis: The class Hair Tiers are inverse to the Butt Tiers.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Wow. This new change to Legendary Weapons is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Agreed but games where you instantly loot a legendary fire bow are very funny.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dropping a legendary class weapon off a random chest happened 3 out of 7 matches I played tonight and makes for a hilariously unfair early to mid game.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The change is so bizarre. Yeah, it probably wasn't great for balance that most players could get their legendary weapon the first time they went to a Forge...but just make them cost more! Make it so you need two chicken legs and max materials or something.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I wouldn't hold out too much hope, Hi-rez is intent on ruining any remote amount of success they have. They refuse to polish existing games that could be great, and self sabotage with poor management decisions that affect everything from the games themselves to the people working in the company. This is going to be par for the course, they're going to make bizarre, out of left field changes, the fanbase will complain and shrink a little, they'll apologize and dangle shinies, then they'll make another stupid choice, more bitching, more player loss, until the top three or four players make youtube videos titled "IS REALM ROYALE DYING????"

Do not support this company, they're the distracted guy whose older games are looking in disbelief as they chase the next flash in the pan. As soon as battle royale starts dying and a new multi player experience is made, they'll ape it and abandon this as soon as they can shuffle their personnel around. They're basically a Chinese asset flipper with a budget.

MAN OF MANY MOUTHS
May 4, 2006

Is this real life?

Nucular Carmul posted:

I wouldn't hold out too much hope, Hi-rez is intent on ruining any remote amount of success they have. They refuse to polish existing games that could be great, and self sabotage with poor management decisions that affect everything from the games themselves to the people working in the company. This is going to be par for the course, they're going to make bizarre, out of left field changes, the fanbase will complain and shrink a little, they'll apologize and dangle shinies, then they'll make another stupid choice, more bitching, more player loss, until the top three or four players make youtube videos titled "IS REALM ROYALE DYING????"

Do not support this company, they're the distracted guy whose older games are looking in disbelief as they chase the next flash in the pan. As soon as battle royale starts dying and a new multi player experience is made, they'll ape it and abandon this as soon as they can shuffle their personnel around. They're basically a Chinese asset flipper with a budget.

This saddens me, since this is the first battle royale I've found fun. Maybe they'll be successful enough this time to actually care? A lot of big streamers have been playing the game...

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Global Agenda is one my favorite games ever and is the true father of Overwatch. That being said, hirez is extremely incompetent.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

MAN OF MANY MOUTHS posted:

This saddens me, since this is the first battle royale I've found fun. Maybe they'll be successful enough this time to actually care? A lot of big streamers have been playing the game...

Yeah I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Smite was the first MOBA I found fun, and they've been neglecting it, the infrastructure of the game itself is crumbling. It seems like every patch introduces a new bug, while old bugs that have existed for months still persist. One god is nigh unplayable right now they're so buggy, and another god has a bug that can break their ability to choose a target for their passive, making her tricky to play correctly. The money we've spent on Smite isn't going to fixing the game, it's being funneled to their side projects and half dozen failed spinoffs.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The same is true for Paladins, a game I immensely enjoy (I loved Global Agenda too and really wish there was like, a populated private server up somewhere).

That said, I don't really think I need to treat their products as Forever Games in the way I played TF2 for like, 7-8 years straight. If I pay $20-30 and get 100+ hours of good times out of it, that's fine for me. I think I spent around $30 on Paladins and Steam says I've played about 250 hours of that game and will probably play another ~50 more before I completely abandon it.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
The only game like this I've played is pubg and this is much better. Pubg is inherently ridiculous and pretends it isn't. How do you craft legendary weapons?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Gay Horney posted:

The only game like this I've played is pubg and this is much better. Pubg is inherently ridiculous and pretends it isn't. How do you craft legendary weapons?

At the moment: you don't. The game is severely hosed right now.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/schisam/status/1010693720960888837

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

this is much better. but honestly if class specific legendaries are going to be this hard to craft it may be better to just forgo them

(unless they give huge buffs to the class specific ones woah nelly!!)

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

trapped mouse posted:

this is much better. but honestly if class specific legendaries are going to be this hard to craft it may be better to just forgo them

(unless they give huge buffs to the class specific ones woah nelly!!)

Those arent that hard to make though?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Two chickens and 200 shards means it's more a midgame thing but if you can't find two people to kill rip

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Two chickens and 200 shards mean that the winner of the first duo or squad fights in each region will funnel shards to their hunter/assassin and go for it as soon as humanly possible.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Definitely Hunter the bow is trivial to land every shot with now.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Elentor posted:

Two chickens and 200 shards mean that the winner of the first duo or squad fights in each region will funnel shards to their hunter/assassin and go for it as soon as humanly possible.

If they really want to delay the crafting of legendary weapons imo they need to stretch the crafting out across two forges. Make it so you have a third slot for the unbuilt weapon, and make it so the weapon comes in two part, call it a "top" and "bottom" part for lack of a better term.

The first piece costs 100 shards and 1 trophy does nothing for you until you craft the second piece at the second forge (for another 100 shards and 1 trophy) and then you have a full legendary. Make the pieces dropable and make them class specific. That way, if you kill someone who's your same class, there's a chance you may get half your legendary drop for you, and you may even be able to complete it if you have the other piece already. Use a third forge to give you a random elemental effect and there you go.

This way will keep the action around the forges, still allow for the RNG excitement of looting legendaries off of dead bodies, but slow down the power spike the early fraggers get in this game just slightly.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kamikaze Raider posted:

If they really want to delay the crafting of legendary weapons imo they need to stretch the crafting out across two forges.

I've been seeing a lot of similar, converging suggestions and honestly I kinda agree with it.

Leroy
Apr 26, 2003
Oh, I get it.
Am I the only one that can get top 5 pretty regularly, but can't win a single loving game?

Smackdillion
Feb 18, 2001

Someone paid :10bux: to give you this shitty icon and give Lowtax his cyborg spine parts

Nucular Carmul posted:

This is 100% completely true. I will never forgive the bastards at Hi-Rez for what they did to Tribes Ascend. That game had so much loving potential, but as soon as it started getting popular Hi-rez dumped it completely and moved on to another game leaving it to rot on the vine. Bastards.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Leroy posted:

Am I the only one that can get top 5 pretty regularly, but can't win a single loving game?

If you arent going into endgame with a full legendary set or close to it you probably arent going to win.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Smackdillion posted:

This is 100% completely true. I will never forgive the bastards at Hi-Rez for what they did to Tribes Ascend. That game had so much loving potential, but as soon as it started getting popular Hi-rez dumped it completely and moved on to another game leaving it to rot on the vine. Bastards.

The game was literally bankrupting the company.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nucular Carmul posted:

This is why even though I am having fun with Realm Royale, I'm not gonna give them a single penny unless there's a good guarantee that they're in it for the long term. And considering how many times they've claimed that only to chase after the next fad, I don't even know what they could do to be trustworthy.

I still remember how there were several instances where they were returning to Tribes Ascend, they'd put out a small patch, and then nothing else would happen for a long time.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Smackdillion posted:

Nice fanfic, bro.

Do you really think that's something that companies do? Abandon a product when it's growing? Nope.
I also played Tribes Ascend, and in my estimation they did abandoned it... after a year of slow but steady decline. That's it, decline in a game that never reached two straights weeks of popularity in the first place. I doubt they even had more than 6K players in any moment. They even tried to make a come back with the GOTY edition, that had changed the item/class unlock progression, that increased the player base by 50%... but it was temporal, in just two months it came back to <1000 players again.

Remember it was a Free 2 play game. And 85-90% f2p players won't pay any dime for it. So you need much bigger numbers to maintain a game for several years.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Srice posted:

This is why even though I am having fun with Realm Royale, I'm not gonna give them a single penny unless there's a good guarantee that they're in it for the long term.

Uhh... they have supported Smite for 6 years already.
https://smite.gamepedia.com/Patch_notes

Not enough long term? I suppose you will find any other excuse.
It reminds me of those steam reviews where people have 700 hours players and they say 'This game is terrible! It's full of all these problems and it seems the devs are intent of ignoring my personal design choices to fix it! I don't recommend it!'.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Turin Turambar posted:

Uhh... they have supported Smite for 6 years already.
https://smite.gamepedia.com/Patch_notes

Not enough long term? I suppose you will find any other excuse.
It reminds me of those steam reviews where people have 700 hours players and they say 'This game is terrible! It's full of all these problems and it seems the devs are intent of ignoring my personal design choices to fix it! I don't recommend it!'.

The problem I (and many other people) have, is that Riot has one game: League of Legends, and it's nearly a decade old and is still a behemoth as far as popularity and playerbase, and is usually pretty high up on the twitch games being played list. We believe that Smite is a better game, and the years we've had have been tumultuous, full of bizarre decisions, and we've had a shrinking playerbase that makes matchmaking a pile of hot garbage. The base game of Smite is so fun, and we all believe that it could be so much more, if only Hi-rez would just put the money we've spent into the game we spent it on. There is no advertising, no support for streamers, bugs that have existed for years, and a steep learning curve that is only made worse by one the worst tutorials in multiplayer gaming history.

Now we see Realm Royale, and its explosive popularity, and we grow increasingly concerned, because we feel like our voices aren't being heard. We look to the past, at Global Agenda and Tribes, and wonder if our fate is to be the same. One of the top content creators for Smite, love him or hate him, DMBrandon, has complained for the entirety of his streaming career about stream snipers, another (Wolfy2032) has had people making gimmick accounts to make fun of his weight (Wolfy2032lbs) that existed for months before anything was done. Yet Ninja streams the game, gets it to the top of the twitch list at 167k viewers, complains about stream sniping, and immediately the devs are tweeting out about implementing a special button to report stream snipers, plus working on a system to submit VOD footage for evidence of sniping. If you look at HiRezStew, the president of the company, his twitter account, the last twenty tweets and retweets: 12 about Realm Royale, 7 Paladins, 1 Paladins Strike. It's very obvious that the attention of the company is on the new products, and we're increasingly worried that Smite is going to bite the dust soon.

When I come into this thread to tell you not to support HiRez, it's not just as an embittered person whose favorite multiplayer game is dying (although I absolutely am that). I want to warn you all, so that you're not surprised. Once Smite goes away, HiRez will have thrown away three good games that could have had life if only they had allowed them to. In all of these games, questions go unanswered, bugs go unfixed, and in Smite's case, it honestly feels like they're squeezing as much cash as they can out of us to fuel their other projects. They've even said, in a post trying to address concerns that Realm Royale is affecting Paladins development, that they diverted no resources from other existing games, they pulled them from a future project that they have in developement. They've basically admitted accidentally that existing games aren't a priority, they just follow current trends to try to make the next big thing, even though they have great projects they can nurture into something even better. So when I say "don't support HiRez" it's merely warning you in advance that your game is going to be dropped like a bad habit the second something more popular comes around.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Smite, unlike Global Agenda and Tribes: Ascend, actually makes them money and has more than a couple hundred concurrent players at peak times. They're not going to kill it.

Paladins wasn't turning a profit for over a year, and probably still doesn't, and I doubt they're going to kill it either.

The only title they might axe is Hand of the Gods, a game that can barely maintain low double digits concurrent players despite them sponsoring big name streamers to promote it.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I think HiRez put an honest effort behind Global Agenda, but didn’t have the player base or revenue stream to keep it going. No different than thousands of other games.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Weapons are craftable again! I can't get out of bronze 5 on solo or duo even though me and my duo were really good at pubg. Keep getting wrecked relatively early on.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Gay Horney posted:

Weapons are craftable again! I can't get out of bronze 5 on solo or duo even though me and my duo were really good at pubg. Keep getting wrecked relatively early on.

You just need a few more #10 places and suddenly you'll shoot up to Silver II or something. Its looking for number of games played.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Senethro posted:

You just need a few more #10 places and suddenly you'll shoot up to Silver II or something. Its looking for number of games played.

Can you elaborate? I got up to D3 pretty quick before the ranks reset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The ranking system in this game is looking at your best 50 games in terms of placements and kills. If you have not played 50 games yet, then just playing more games will raise your ranking.

• Locked thread