Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Paladins is really fun and good now, Hi-Rez really turned that ship around so I decided to give this a shot and it turns out this is the only BR game I actually like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Gay Horney posted:

Weapons are craftable again! I can't get out of bronze 5 on solo or duo even though me and my duo were really good at pubg. Keep getting wrecked relatively early on.

unleash the power of the crossbow

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!

Tha_Joker_GAmer posted:

unleash the power of the crossbow

Yeah they made the projectiles faster and I think it may have surpassed the slug rifle in terms of usefulness. What do I know, though.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I prefer the ancestor rifle since it has a slight shotgun blast affect which makes running and gunning easier since it is hitscan. The shotguns themselves are also good since most fights happen at relative close ranges.

The highest I've gotten in game is multiple 3rds. I just can't seem to kill tricked out guys even with a tricked out guy. Overall I've gotten to platinum 2 so it's not hard to climb the ranks if you place in the 20s regularly.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Kaleidoscope horse is something... different.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I was definitely set to spend money on this but fifteen bucks for a chicken skin a horse an avatar and an emote is kinda outrageous. Placed Gold 3 in duos. Basically about 80% of The time we get hosed on the first drop in the first or second fight and 20% of the time we come in the top 5. Any tips for the initial drop?

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 28, 2018

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lots of money on cosmetics for an alpha game here.

Also yeah just drop together into the same small area on the outskirts of a bigger town, then ride in as a group and kill the two or three squads that are all weak from fighting.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I don't know if it's confirmation bias but it seems to me that the chest above the forge at the Jaguar's Claws always seems to drop good weapons as I seem to reliably get purple weapons from it. Makes the opening a lot easier when you're generally able to outgun people climbing up. So if you're having trouble at the beginning, taking there and then fanning out seems to reliably get me to the end game.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Wow that alpha bundle has 1/10th the value of the Paladins bundle from the same company for...more money than the Paladins bundle

They must view Battle Royale customers as absolute retard suckers

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

extra stout posted:

Wow that alpha bundle has 1/10th the value of the Paladins bundle from the same company for...more money than the Paladins bundle

Have you not seen how many kaleidoscope horses are running around?

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

extra stout posted:

Hi-Rez for the last couple of years has constantly been pushing the envelope for just how much money they can get out of people. In both Smite and Paladins, (the Smite incident was a mere two months ago, Paladins was beginning of the year) there has been an event or patch with EXTREME community backlash for how predatory and insane they were. The Smite event was a chest filled monstrosity that just required you to spend 75 bucks minimum if you wanted the cool skin at the end of the event. It's better now after two changes (both of which happened before the event was officially released, that's how bad the numbers are), but still kind of a terrible deal. The Paladins patch quite literally made the game Pay-To-Win with a mind boggling change to the ability customization system that gave huge advantages to those who had disposable income or enormous amounts of time to grind.

Do not be surprised in the future, Hi-Rez is an increasingly shittier company and I'll be continuing to watch with amusement as a new player base is exposed to their terrible practices.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I wish there was a loot box I could buy to stop you posting in this thread. Do you even play this game? You've written ten thousand words in a four page thread about how you were personally victimized by Hi Rez and it would be nice if you shut the gently caress up

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been trying to learn Engineer since the Mage nerf pretty much killed the class. I've been able to climb back to a ~15% win rate with Engineer in Duo slowly acclimatizing with the class though I still think I should be playing an assassin and we're back to 40% in Squad once I dropped the mage. I think the Mage nerf was necessary for the patch at hand but since then the changes in the game are already a nerf to the mage's kit and playstyle. Mage worked very well at one-shotting people but that's also the only way mages work.

With a huge TTK you often can't finish a fight fast enough before others come in, and resetting is useless because now that mage doesn't have its damage you're either forced to:
* Fight long distance, at which point you'll lose to a hunter or assassin
* Fight medium range, which you had an advantage before, but not enough now, especially if the enemy gap closes to you.
* Fight short range, at which point you're at a disadvantage against every single class unless you bait into Ice Block perfectly, at which point you lose your reset. In some situations a perfect bait can make a 1-for-2 skills but also offers the enemy the option to reset. Not even counting the moments you'll get headshot as soon as the CD ends.

So the TTK changes are a massive nerf to mages, and the weapon changes were also a huge nerf. Mage is simultaneously the class that relied the most on its Class Weapon to do the damage, and also the class with one of the worst class weapons. In a group there's no reason to give a mage her class weapon over the assassin, which will then make him excel at both short and long range; the warrior which will murder people at short and medium range; and then a tie between the hunter's which is just downright better right now than the staff, or the engineer who can do the jump+splash combo with his weapon very easily or use his weapon to deal massive damage against campers along with his other skills.

Edit: Also gently caress Squads of 4 Engineers.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 30, 2018

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Gay Horney posted:

I wish there was a loot box I could buy to stop you posting in this thread. Do you even play this game? You've written ten thousand words in a four page thread about how you were personally victimized by Hi Rez and it would be nice if you shut the gently caress up

I have played the game, and I follow Hi-Rez people on twitter because I play Smite, so I keep up incidentally with the news about Realm Royale. I am discussing Hi-Rez, the company that made the game, in the thread about the game. If I'm breaking any rules, report me, and I'll be probated. I'm not going to apologize for being insufferable to you because I feel it's warranted to warn anyone who would get attached to this game to be careful, because the company has a growing history of abandoning games that still have fanbases.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Elentor posted:

I've been trying to learn Engineer since the Mage nerf pretty much killed the class. I've been able to climb back to a ~15% win rate with Engineer in Duo slowly acclimatizing with the class though I still think I should be playing an assassin and we're back to 40% in Squad once I dropped the mage. I think the Mage nerf was necessary for the patch at hand but since then the changes in the game are already a nerf to the mage's kit and playstyle. Mage worked very well at one-shotting people but that's also the only way mages work.

With a huge TTK you often can't finish a fight fast enough before others come in, and resetting is useless because now that mage doesn't have its damage you're either forced to:
* Fight long distance, at which point you'll lose to a hunter or assassin
* Fight medium range, which you had an advantage before, but not enough now, especially if the enemy gap closes to you.
* Fight short range, at which point you're at a disadvantage against every single class unless you bait into Ice Block perfectly, at which point you lose your reset. In some situations a perfect bait can make a 1-for-2 skills but also offers the enemy the option to reset. Not even counting the moments you'll get headshot as soon as the CD ends.

So the TTK changes are a massive nerf to mages, and the weapon changes were also a huge nerf. Mage is simultaneously the class that relied the most on its Class Weapon to do the damage, and also the class with one of the worst class weapons. In a group there's no reason to give a mage her class weapon over the assassin, which will then make him excel at both short and long range; the warrior which will murder people at short and medium range; and then a tie between the hunter's which is just downright better right now than the staff, or the engineer who can do the jump+splash combo with his weapon very easily or use his weapon to deal massive damage against campers along with his other skills.

Edit: Also gently caress Squads of 4 Engineers.

Yea I started pushing myself to learn engineer too thinking the same thing. Mage was a clear #1 but the fireball hit AND her legendary weapon hit was enough for me to look elsewhere. Its hard to not just play warrior; the axe is so strong right now and I'm >2.0 KD. Not to mention the warriors maneuverability is so much more fun than engineer. I really don't see many hunters. Honestly I think the assassin is the strongest class but least fun for me. Are you out of diamond yet?

I duoed with my friend who was gold and broke 10k damage for the first time. Hugeee difference down there. Protip: stay near your team and fight in greater numbers and you'll leave poo poo elo real fast

Nucular Carmul posted:

I have played the game, and I follow Hi-Rez people on twitter because I play Smite, so I keep up incidentally with the news about Realm Royale. I am discussing Hi-Rez, the company that made the game, in the thread about the game. If I'm breaking any rules, report me, and I'll be probated. I'm not going to apologize for being insufferable to you because I feel it's warranted to warn anyone who would get attached to this game to be careful, because the company has a growing history of abandoning games that still have fanbases.

You should play this game its fun and if you want to waste money you can get a really cool rainbow horse while having fun

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Yea I started pushing myself to learn engineer too thinking the same thing. Mage was a clear #1 but the fireball hit AND her legendary weapon hit was enough for me to look elsewhere. Its hard to not just play warrior; the axe is so strong right now and I'm >2.0 KD. Not to mention the warriors maneuverability is so much more fun than engineer. I really don't see many hunters. Honestly I think the assassin is the strongest class but least fun for me. Are you out of diamond yet?

That seems to match my observation. I'd rate:
#1 Assassin
#2 Engineer
#3 Warrior
#4 Hunter
#5 Mage

Edit: Also for what is worth I don't think Hunter is as bad as the general consensus seems to be.

As for the question, not really. We don't play a lot because of time differences and not a lot of spare time. We only recently reached 50 matches with a full squad, we usually have to gently caress around with only 3 players. It'll take another 100 or so matches to break into Masters at the current rate since nothing other than a win counts so all second places are pretty much worthless.

As far as placeholder ranking systems go I enjoy how this game's isn't punitive for an early loss but it also makes the whole thing more dependent on time to grind than anything.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 30, 2018

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Elentor posted:

That seems to match my observation. I'd rate:
#1 Assassin
#2 Engineer
#3 Warrior
#4 Hunter
#5 Mage

As for the question, not really. We don't play a lot because of time differences and not a lot of spare time. We only recently reached 50 matches with a full squad, we usually have to gently caress around with only 3 players. It'll take another 100 or so matches to break into Masters at the current rate since nothing other than a win counts so all second places are pretty much worthless.

As far as placeholder ranking systems go I enjoy how this game's isn't punitive for an early loss but it also makes the whole thing more dependent on time to grind than anything.

My group only has a total of 3 players which puts us at a pretty big disadvantage vs 4 but at least we get more mats :/

Wait I thought mmr was based off a combo of rank/kills/damage? possibly in that order and exactly what place you are when YOU die (not even your teams placement). Endgame recap shows your teams total kills when you die not your whole teams.

With the newest armor changes smoothing out the values somewhat I almost always go leg weapon>skill>armor. I don't always get early kills so obviously skip the weapon the first time around but I don't feel its as important to rush that first armor piece when you can get one second forge or from a midgame fight. The last patch really emphasized the "get a pick/dps race" style of play for us

Whats the best drop spot yall have found so far? The closest group of 8-10 houses near autumn fields is my jam. Goblin gulch runs and the forbidden swamp 4 room cluster in the SE with 3 chests in each is solid too

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 30, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My group only has a total of 3 players which puts us at a pretty big disadvantage vs 4 but at least we get more mats :/

Wait I thought mmr was based off a combo of rank/kills/damage? possibly in that order and exactly what place you are when YOU die (not even your teams placement). Endgame recap shows your teams total kills when you die not your whole teams.

With the newest armor changes smoothing out the values somewhat I almost always go leg weapon>skill>armor. I don't always get early kills so obviously skip the weapon the first time around but I don't feel its as important to rush that first armor piece when you can get one second forge or from a midgame fight. The last patch really emphasized the "get a pick/dps race" style of play for us

As far as I'm aware rank right now is:
Up until Master: An average of your position in your best 50 matches. The higher, the better. Some ranks are gated:
Diamond 3 requires 1 win (I think)
Diamond 2 requires 10 wins
Diamond 1 requires 25 wins
Master requires 50 wins

Then Master is a ladder showing the total amount of kills from your highest kill-scoring 50 victories.

All based on your final team position from my observation. Might be wrong.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

No poo poo! I had no idea thats how it worked

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah it's not an Elo or MMR-based system. I manually kept track of the first matches before the sites kicked in to test how it worked and that's the conclusion I got and crossed with other people's experiences.

As to answer your edited-in question:

Whats the best drop spot yall have found so far? The closest group of 8-10 houses near autumn fields is my jam. Goblin gulch runs and the forbidden swamp 4 room cluster in the SE with 3 chests in each is solid too

Trinity Hills when we're playing for fun and not keeping track because of how many people usually drop on it. It's pochinki and we usually die pretty fast when 5-6 other teams drop but it's fun to try things out when a new patch rolls.

Lost Forge when we're playing seriously. Only 1 or 2 other teams drop there at most and the place has enough items for 4 people to buy a lot of stuff. You get 1-2 chickens for everyone and a lot of gear.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 30, 2018

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
when the patch notes say always accurate do they mean hitscan?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gay Horney posted:

when the patch notes say always accurate do they mean hitscan?

No, they mean the spread is lower (more focused on the dot you're aiming instead of randomly spread around the hit circle). When they mean hitscan they specify it's hitscan.

Edit: Getting the hang of duos with the Engineer :getin:

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 30, 2018

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
thanks. is the poison pistol the best gun in the game atm?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gay Horney posted:

thanks. is the poison pistol the best gun in the game atm?

Not really. It's hard to say because they're changing the tuning of the weapons every patch and patches come with a very high frequency but I think it's something like:

Heirloom/Revolver - Close to Mid Range
Slug - Mid to Long Range due to no Damage Falloff

The Slug used to be king because of the gigantic projectile size but I think the Heirloom is ahead now after the nerfs for close quarters.

The Crossbow is the no-bloom weapon of the current patch, I believe.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Upcoming changes:

Changed helmet to give headshot protection: epic 35% / legendary 50%
No longer grants cooldown reduction.

Changed starting health to 1500, 100 armor
Add 50 armor to each armor parts (so at max you get 1500 armor with 350 per each piece).
Armor scaling is 200/250/300/350.

These are both, again, huge hits to TTK. My take is that assassin is gonna fall a bit from popularity following the patch.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 3, 2018

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Elentor posted:

Upcoming changes:

Changed helmet to give headshot protection: epic 35% / legendary 50%
No longer grants cooldown reduction.

Changed starting health to 1500, 100 armor
Add 50 armor to each armor parts (so at max you get 1500 armor with 350 per each piece).
Armor scaling is 200/250/300/350.

These are both, again, huge hits to TTK. My take is that assassin is gonna fall a bit from popularity following the patch.

Yea, 2+ shots to kill will definitely hurt his pick rate. Engagements feel very pointless at range now. Also the circle seems to move real fast compared to a week ago. I'm sticking to engi/warrior

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

This game is laggy and buggy.

But it's fun as gently caress and I love it. I hope it gets more players as it improves. I'm all engy all the time.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Please rename thread: Realm Royale - Argue about HiRez's business plans

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yea, 2+ shots to kill will definitely hurt his pick rate. Engagements feel very pointless at range now. Also the circle seems to move real fast compared to a week ago. I'm sticking to engi/warrior

Circles also seem very PUBGish and not so centered right now. This gave my team and I a massive advantage statistically over others who were used to the old pace, but it's not a change that I enjoy, I liked when the circles were not actively running away from me. :v:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Elentor posted:

Circles also seem very PUBGish and not so centered right now. This gave my team and I a massive advantage statistically over others who were used to the old pace, but it's not a change that I enjoy, I liked when the circles were not actively running away from me. :v:

You should type a big effortpost up on little things bad players do wrong and how to get better I suck at this game, they are really helpful

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Elentor, they did buff the headshot on the sniper legendary to 250% instead of 200% though. So it does 2750 oh a headshot.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Elentor, they did buff the headshot on the sniper legendary to 250% instead of 200% though. So it does 2750 oh a headshot.

Oh sorry I missed that. Like I said the changes in this game are coming fast and furious so it's hard to keep track or miss something in a patch note.

You should type a big effortpost up on little things bad players do wrong and how to get better I suck at this game, they are really helpful

Thanks, though you're probably better than me at this game. My K/D and wins went down a lot lately and I'm in the process of relearning a lot myself.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 4, 2018

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I usually enjoy assassin but since I've been playing in squads with my friend who only plays assassin, I've branched out to hunter. I think the abilities are mediocre except withdraw, but the longbow is broken

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/281031315?t=39m06s

I've never clowned anyone as bad as I clowned these last two people lmao

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i tried paladins and it seems better now?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://steamcommunity.com/games/813820/announcements/detail/1681414719798179328

Chicken Trophies now have a small chance to drop out of chests.

I can't see this change sticking, color me surprised if it does.

Sniper Rifle
Headshot damage reduced from 150% to 100%.

Nice.

Fixed a bug where Long Bow could no longer headshot

""""""""""Bug""""""""""

Also I got D1 with 21 wins so who knows how this system works.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 6, 2018

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i'm not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, but why have there been 2 prime time est server maintenances in the past week alone? this is an est-based company right? why do that after hours on a friday?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

This patch is kinda crazy. Armor being lowered, hitscan changes!?, engi wall looks like a buff to me, heirloom fire rate cut in half. Wowsa

I've changed my mind to engi's fire grenade being the most fun spell in the game, no more warrior for me. Engi legendary and that is amazing, can't wait to spam the new barricade.

Also my friend got d3 with either 2 or 3 wins so yea I have no idea how the rating system works.

edit: i misread the engi nerf whoops

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 7, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah Legendary Walls were nightmarish long and gated you not by CD but by virtue of still being there.

Hunter Bow being headshotable is a very nice buff to Hunters, I've been doing Hunters on and off and they're fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I feel like 99 out of 100 hunters I see are free chickens and I'm the type of person to switch to something after I get destroyed by it a few times so I still haven't tried hunter :3

Duo engineer is really a jerk thing to do but its pretty fun. This is our house, we don't want anything go away if you know whats good for you

• Locked thread