Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hi-Rez's patch strategy :whitewater:

I've been digging the hell out of this game but if they keep doing super insane untested patches on friday night idk if I'm gonna play it more. They really need to get their poo poo together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

This patch is kinda crazy. Armor being lowered, hitscan changes!?, engi wall looks like a buff to me, heirloom fire rate cut in half. Wowsa

I've changed my mind to engi's fire grenade being the most fun spell in the game, no more warrior for me. Engi legendary and that is amazing, can't wait to spam the new barricade.

Also my friend got d3 with either 2 or 3 wins so yea I have no idea how the rating system works.

edit: i misread the engi nerf whoops

Tyra is my fav character in Paladins specifically because of the firebomb. She can get buffs to the damage and makes it sticky. The engie version is still useful for flushing people out so I always grab it.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Game is currently bugged so that dead players only drop their crafting mats, no loot. I think that must be messing with the player pool as I got matched into a game where I had a succession of kills where I just shot players 4 times with a slugger without them being able to successfully look at me and return fire.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
they also haven't fixed the issue where sometimes you can't pick anything up but the very first thing you pick up, so it could have been someone who quit out after having that happen

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

harrygomm posted:

they also haven't fixed the issue where sometimes you can't pick anything up but the very first thing you pick up, so it could have been someone who quit out after having that happen

They said in the patch notes they fixed it, guess not. I played a little while last night and absolutely hate the new guns and changes so unless they do some rollbacks I probably won't play much more. auto rifle get the gently caress outta here. Lol I just read that someone was getting hit by the gas when they weren't in it.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
the new smg is overpowered as hell. I kinda like that people only drop shards on death even though it's apparently a bug. Getting a full suit of legendary armor because you popped someone was ridiculous. Endgame fights being based on just what you've crafted or stolen is somewhat cool. Right now the best strat is to loot then have someone else start cooking then kill them and take what they cooked.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The amount of radical changes from patch to patch and the frequency of said patches is a bit tiresome if I'm being honest, even considering it's an Alpha it feels like a crazy lack of direction at times.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Elentor posted:

The amount of radical changes from patch to patch and the frequency of said patches is a bit tiresome if I'm being honest, even considering it's an Alpha it feels like a crazy lack of direction at times.

I stepped back knowing it’s an alpha to let the dust settle a bit.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
My friends are also taking a break for a few of these reasons. I just got distracted by the Steam sale and suddenly they weren't playing by the time the sale ended and the patches were all over the place.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Elentor posted:

Yeah. It's an alpha so you expect broken things and rapid changes, but their specific changes definitely suggest a lack of direction. Making things hitscan, then making them projectile then making them hitscan again. Adding auto weapons, removing them due to backlash, then.... Adding several at once. Not to mention the early forge changes that showed a big misunderstanding of how changes like that would affect the gameplay.

Reading up on Hi-Rez's approach to game dev after seeing these wild patches come out on Friday night didn't inspire confidence.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i want people to play this game with, even though im bad. lets play game

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

eonwe posted:

i want people to play this game with, even though im bad. lets play game

I created a discord for goons who play, it's not super active, but there are a good 15 people there: https://discord.gg/bxVeGen

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
https://clips.twitch.tv/InventiveConcernedOryxAMPEnergyCherry

xQc never ceases to amaze me, in any game he plays.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So everyone I know, despite finding this game incredibly fun, pretty much quit it over the overwhelmingly frequent and radical amount of changes in very tiny periods of time. It's a pity because at least for my circle of friends this was such a huge wasted potential.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Elentor posted:

So everyone I know, despite finding this game incredibly fun, pretty much quit it over the overwhelmingly frequent and radical amount of changes in very tiny periods of time. It's a pity because at least for my circle of friends this was such a huge wasted potential.

yeah

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Elentor posted:

Yeah same.

And with the player count being in a downward slump it's making me feel even less inclined to get back in.

But oh well, I did enjoy the time I put into it.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

Elentor posted:

This sounds exactly like what happened to the original 'The Culling'.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Elentor posted:

Yup same

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's odd, they released an extremely polished and complete Alpha that just needed a few ongoing tweaks and a regular stream of new content, and instead decided to go completely ham with massive and unpopular balance changes constantly. They've probably completely hosed their chance of making the game really popular, when, with a steadier hand and a more long-term view they could have had a mega hit on their hands.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the hirez method

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Bardeh posted:

Yeah it's odd, they released an extremely polished and complete Alpha that just needed a few ongoing tweaks and a regular stream of new content, and instead decided to go completely ham with massive and unpopular balance changes constantly. They've probably completely hosed their chance of making the game really popular, when, with a steadier hand and a more long-term view they could have had a mega hit on their hands.

hmm should I use a crossbow? heirloom rifle? whoa rocket launcher?!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Srice posted:

But oh well, I did enjoy the time I put into it.

Yeah this was the most fun game I played in many years and for a brief moment I genuinely thought it'd stabilize and be the next great thing. I had a lot of fun playing PUBG but not as much fun as I did playing LoL when I started. This game gave me a similar rush but after a while my team felt like every hour we poured into it was a waste of time because it's a lot harder to learn a game that is so hellbent on changing every day.

Bardeh posted:

The first few iterations worked perfectly for me and needed only a few adjustments and fine-tuning, not complete revamps every 3 days. We were very patient with it for a while since it's an Alpha and we rationalized it with that's what Alphas are for but the truth of the matter is that the changes chipped away our enjoyment.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Yup.

Game was fun, crashed a bunch when my friend would be doing well. Game seemed to be going places. A few weeks of WTF patches later and we never talk about it.

Friends going back to OW.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Yep. I had a blast with the game right when it came out. First few changes were large but mostly made sense and felt like tweaks in the right direction. Then they started going completely ham on really good stable mechanics, between the stupid and schizophrenic Forge changes to inexplicably turning stuff to hitscan when the projectile mechanics were very fun and important to good gameplay.

I played a few games after all the hitscan changes, and between the ridiculously low TTK and the bugs that got introduced it was no longer fun.

I haven't played since. I regret buying the alpha pack, I bought it when I was having a lot of fun before they dumpstered it with all the changes.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I stopped playing awhile ago and if you also did you should read the patch notes and have a laugh:
https://www.reddit.com/r/RealmRoyale/comments/9bn2y5/the_patch_rundown_into_one_post/

Classes removed from the game, you can now use any ability and weapon that you want. The class specific skins are still useable even though they wont belong to a specific class anymore.
Armor pieces is removed from the game
Window vaulting added. Anyone can jump through windows
Only projectile weapons available. No hitscan.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm thinking, thinking, and I don't know what to say.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

I stopped playing awhile ago and if you also did you should read the patch notes and have a laugh:
https://www.reddit.com/r/RealmRoyale/comments/9bn2y5/the_patch_rundown_into_one_post/

Classes removed from the game, you can now use any ability and weapon that you want. The class specific skins are still useable even though they wont belong to a specific class anymore.

I just don't even know what to say. This is baffling. This game had such an incredible concept and just every patch ruins things more.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Haha Jesus they never had any clue and it just keeps getting worse.

Design direction? What's that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Not that it wasn't incredibly obvious that they had no idea where they were going with the game but man

They have no idea where they're going with the game and should just pull the plug.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, there's having no clear direction and then there's this.

It's sad because it was pretty fun for the time I played it. If they had taken a bit more time to define what they actually wanted to do and build on that instead of the completely YOLO approach they may have had a contender in the battle royale fad. Wasn't there a bunch of streamers playing the game for a while and claiming it was going to be the next big hit?

A shame, but completely their fault.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
That guy just coming in here to poo poo on Hirez makes me realize that he was a prophet that has been unjustly persecuted. We ignored truth being given to us, and executed the wise sage guiding us to the light.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wonder if this is how the SWG people felt. I thought I was immune to any patch note stunning me, but in like two decades of online gaming the short history so far of this game has been pretty impressive.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
The game has gone from 100k players at launch to fallen off Steam's stats page (so sub 3000). I guess they had to do something desperate.

Not that I've played it this month at all, but this was the only BR I've really actually enjoyed. Glad I got out when I did then.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Senethro posted:

The game has gone from 100k players at launch to fallen off Steam's stats page (so sub 3000). I guess they had to do something desperate.

Not that I've played it this month at all, but this was the only BR I've really actually enjoyed. Glad I got out when I did then.

I can only speak for myself, but here's something desperate that would have got me back:

A letter from the company, a la chris metzen or the square-enix CEO when they hosed up, stating something like: "We promise to roll back the game back to when people were having fun with it, and it made sense, and use that as our guideline for the final product while avoiding pushing radical changes that point out to us having no sense of game direction every week."

Here's something desperate that would not have got me back:
* Radically changing the game again, this time almost a comical degree, in what it took me a while to fully grasp that it was not a parody.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
lmao what the gently caress are they even doing? the game was so fun before they...did whatever the hell they did. It's like they gave creative control of the game to a hyperactive toddler

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Uninstalled, lmao. The gently caress is this studio?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Thank for, Hirez, for your bravery in removing hitscan during the course of tanking your game.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Removing hitscan twice, you mean.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

cosmicjim posted:

That guy just coming in here to poo poo on Hirez makes me realize that he was a prophet that has been unjustly persecuted. We ignored truth being given to us, and executed the wise sage guiding us to the light.

I wasn't gonna come in here just to say "I told you so," but thank you for your kind words goon sir, madame, or porpoise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

A lot of my friends and I enjoyed the projectile only times but wow, that last patch note is lol worthy. None of us have played since mid July and I think we won't play again. Guess I'll reinstall pubg.

• Locked thread