Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i only trust AI to generate project logos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

tracecomplete posted:

YMMV, but I never use LLMs for code I can’t write, but rather for obvious stuff and tedium that I’d rather have configured to taste instead of finding something and fitting it in. I’m a pretty good developer, but like, I can dictate a problem using Whisper (my hands are beat up, and I’m clearer when speaking anyway) to GPT4 (for personal uses, at work we use self-hosted models, which are much worse) and get something that I can give a quick once-over before integrating. It’s faster for me to review it and “go back and fix XYZ” than to churn out an API endpoint or an ORM call or whatever. I’ve also found that you can make a “custom GPT” and prompt it with stylistically desirable code in ways that all prompts using that have pre-baked, and it’s had the nice side effect of, say, making it super pedantic about quality logging and error messaging. (For getting that as autocomplete rather than a chat interface, I’ve found that Codeium is really good, better than GitHub Copilot, and free to use.)

I don’t let it write stuff like authn/authz code, but I absolutely have used it to generate tests for that sensitive code; I find it helpful to either write the tests myself and tell the LLM to satisfy them, or to write the code myself and have the LLM write tests either beforehand to give some TDD red/green lights for development, or afterwards to capture the behavior of the code I’ve written.

This stuff really does work and work well as (competent) senior+ augmentation, and I think that dismissing it because the hypebros are tedious idiots is going to surprise some folks. For code at least (and maybe very little beyond code and voice-to-text transcription, but without question for those) these things are game-changers. I think it will definitely cause a future talent pipeline stall, and I don’t know what we do about that—but it’s not like I’m getting reqs for juniors anyway.
It's great that it's working for you, but there's mounting evidence to suggest that it's bad for a big portion of people (open access) - and critically, that portion is the majority, who'll be taking over your code in the future.

This is further exacerbated by management seeing dollar signs when they can hire a fresh-from-graduation person who'll cost significantly less, and they've already convinced themselves that LLM NNs will ~somehow~ make everything better, despite the fact that they have no clue how, if you press them on it.

repiv posted:

i only trust AI to generate project logos

:laffo: at the examples

However, this might just be a product of ignorance, since it's been possible to whip up something in any image manipulation program and pass it through libcaca for as long as it's existed (around two decades).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 23, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

a bitmap turned into text with libcaca isn't proper ascii art :colbert:

the output of chatgpt when you ask it for ascii art looks like it learned the standard figlet fonts (poorly)

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 23, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok I thought those were fake because I tested it on a few models and they did a lame attempt at the logo

>Please draw the ChatGPT logo with ASCII art

gpt4

gpt4-32k

but then, gpt35:

I sure do!

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's great that it's working for you, but there's mounting evidence to suggest that it's bad for a big portion of people (open access) - and critically, that portion is the majority, who'll be taking over your code in the future.
This link comes up a lot. I wouldn’t say that the paper establishes nothing, but I also wouldn’t say that it says very much. I investigated their GitHub when it first came out, and while I understand how they got to their conclusion I think that taking a snapshot of a year ago, using mediocre-to-bad queries and trailing-edge tools—Copilot is not very good and really shouldn’t be trusted for more than really basic substitution and autocomplete; it’s why I moved to Codeium, which is more generally aware of project structure, multiple files, and seems to have a better internal “book” for the languages I use—and projecting it out to the horizon (which the authors aren’t but most of the people who are referring to the paper implicitly are) is unwise both if you want to know how to use these tools effectively or if you don’t like their existence (and while I find them very useful, I would prefer a world where they didn’t exist, but that’s arguing with the weather) and want to measure them accurately.

I think the strongest argument you can take from that paper is basically “if you lack a strong enough understanding of what you’re doing to clearly specify a problem and if you lack the theory of not-actually-a-mind to frame instructions in a way that prioritizes what you care about, you’ll get bad results.” Well yeah, no poo poo? It’s also true for Stack Overflow, which I’ve been downstream of and having to fix or reject for years. When not guided there are obvious problems with regards to LLMs generating lovely, context-unaware and non-DRY code. And if you let it write crypto or your ACL code it probably does a bad job of it. So know your tools and loving fire people who treat them as oracles rather than tools.

I emphatically don’t disagree that in the large, the pedagogical and practical effects of overreliance before you understand the problem domain are almost certainly real, but like, I’m a principal not an exec; I can’t control that except through code review and establishing standards, which I’d need to do anyway—and I don’t have a way to hire juniors (regardless of calendar age) at the day job nor the money to hire them for personal projects.

quote:

This is further exacerbated by management seeing dollar signs when they can hire a fresh-from-graduation person who'll cost significantly less, and they've already convinced themselves that LLM NNs will ~somehow~ make everything better, despite the fact that they have no clue how, if you press them on it.
Well no poo poo, but that is a different argument from “does it work for some things”. That it shouldn’t be in a decision loop is orthogonal to whether it effectively generates code for human review. My experience is that when operated by somebody who knows their rear end from a hole in the ground, the current generation has demonstrated that they can create multiplicative value, and even or especially if you don’t like LLMs, pretending that that isn’t the case is underestimating the thing you don’t like and that carries a lot of risk on its own.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 23, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Ok I thought those were fake because I tested it on a few models and they did a lame attempt at the logo

it's really bad at making ascii art but apparently it understands it, because you can use that to get around alignment

chatgpt won't tell you how to make a bomb but it will tell you how to make a

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2402.11753.pdf

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

tracecomplete posted:

This link comes up a lot. I wouldn’t say that the paper establishes nothing, but I also wouldn’t say that it says very much. I investigated their GitHub when it first came out, and while I understand how they got to their conclusion I think that taking a snapshot of a year ago, using mediocre-to-bad queries and trailing-edge tools—Copilot is not very good and really shouldn’t be trusted for more than really basic substitution and autocomplete; it’s why I moved to Codeium, which is more generally aware of project structure, multiple files, and seems to have a better internal “book” for the languages I use—and projecting it out to the horizon (which the authors aren’t but most of the people who are referring to the paper implicitly are) is unwise both if you want to know how to use these tools effectively or if you don’t like their existence (and while I find them very useful, I would prefer a world where they didn’t exist, but that’s arguing with the weather) and want to measure them accurately.

I think the strongest argument you can take from that paper is basically “if you lack a strong enough understanding of what you’re doing to clearly specify a problem and if you lack the theory of not-actually-a-mind to frame instructions in a way that prioritizes what you care about, you’ll get bad results.” Well yeah, no poo poo? It’s also true for Stack Overflow, which I’ve been downstream of and having to fix or reject for years. When not guided there are obvious problems with regards to LLMs generating lovely, context-unaware and non-DRY code. And if you let it write crypto or your ACL code it probably does a bad job of it. So know your tools and loving fire people who treat them as oracles rather than tools.

I emphatically don’t disagree that in the large, the pedagogical and practical effects of overreliance before you understand the problem domain are almost certainly real, but like, I’m a principal not an exec; I can’t control that except through code review and establishing standards, which I’d need to do anyway—and I don’t have a way to hire juniors (regardless of calendar age) at the day job nor the money to hire them for personal projects.

Well no poo poo, but that is a different argument from “does it work for some things”. That it shouldn’t be in a decision loop is orthogonal to whether it effectively generates code for human review. My experience is that when operated by somebody who knows their rear end from a hole in the ground, the current generation has demonstrated that they can create multiplicative value, and even or especially if you don’t like LLMs, pretending that that isn’t the case is underestimating the thing you don’t like and that carries a lot of risk on its own.
I still think there’s a fundamental difference between the average user and you, a practitioner of a field of expertise, using a tool in a very deliberate and constrained way.
It’s like the difference between how an established artist making can use LLM NNs as a tool being different from some terminally ridiculous hypebro talking about the democratization of art when they have no understanding of what art is or how much effort goes into it.

It also doesn’t even begin to touch upon the giant issue that is training data; for example, much of it is provably stolen or gathered by corporations using an existing bit of legalese excemption to copyright that is highly questionable - all of which means that as it currently is, anyone creating anything using these tools runs a risk of violating copyright, with all that entails, and without even the ability to know except when someone sues them if they make a commercial product using the tool.
Nor does it touch on the abusive ways people are being treated by those corporations to classify the data so that it’s useful.

While I think you have some good points, I don’t really see how they change anything; for example, the extrapolations made using the paper might not matter if you’re only relying on LLM NNs to be used by domain experts, but I fear that that’s asking a lot, and I don’t see different tools making a meaningful difference in human nature.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 23, 2024

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

buglord posted:

I used to feel bad that I was priced out by Nvidia. I also feel worse that I bought into the ray tracing marketing with a GPU that wasn’t cut out for it and also lacked VRAM (3070).

I think I might be on team red now for the Linux support and the store-brand upscaling that seems to get most of the way there.

I will continue to die on the hill of raytracing being a garbage gimmick and any form of upscaling being marketed on new GPUs as a tacit admission that their product is subpar.

Like cool, the 4090 is a brilliant GPU but on raster performance it isn't twice the card the 7900XTX is and at two grand why do I loving care about 1080p upscaling?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I will admit that I’m an idiot in both the “Upscaling seems like a lame cheat that doesn’t produce as good of an image, native is the only thing that should matter” camp as well as the “Streamed 4K isn’t real 4K quality, and 4K blu-ray is vastly superior” camp. And I will fully admit that my old-rear end eyes probably wouldn’t notice the difference for either situation.

(See also, caring about color accuracy when I’m colorblind.)

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i don't care for the raytracing fad, but if it means gamedevs make sure to include dlss and upscaling support to boost fps, then at least some of it trickles down to people without supercomputer gpu's

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

I think general, indiscriminate push back against LLMs is happening because

A) it's clear to even casual observers that LLMs are widely being used very inappropriately, with obvious negative consequences in many of those cases
B) vigorous, indiscriminate push back happened when hype around NFTs was peaking, and then NFTs departed from mainstream discourse (and the public agendas of large corporations!) very rapidly

I don't blame anyone who sees these two and comes to the obvious conclusion that bashing the use of LLM wherever they find it is an efficient means of combating the consequences that have been widely reported.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
New favorite tech tuber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GKxs7U3Xqo

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
She's fantastic, and her comments section is lovely.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Griddle of Love posted:

I think general, indiscriminate push back against LLMs is happening because

A) it's clear to even casual observers that LLMs are widely being used very inappropriately, with obvious negative consequences in many of those cases
B) vigorous, indiscriminate push back happened when hype around NFTs was peaking, and then NFTs departed from mainstream discourse (and the public agendas of large corporations!) very rapidly

I don't blame anyone who sees these two and comes to the obvious conclusion that bashing the use of LLM wherever they find it is an efficient means of combating the consequences that have been widely reported.

The same crypto scammers who pushed NFTs have pivoted all-in to LLMs to find ways to con people with them as well

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Harminoff posted:

New favorite tech tuber

I now adore Linux Grandma. :kimchi:

Makes me want to grab my old Dell laptop with Mint on it and mess around. I am not a Linux knower.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Mental Hospitality posted:

Makes me want to grab my old Dell laptop with Mint on it and mess around. I am not a Linux knower.

Never too late to learn! She has only been using it for a couple years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAz9A5Y2wvU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Linux on old laptops is a great hobby. I'm running Mageia on a 2011 MacBook Air and it's way more usable than it is on the latest officially supported MacOS.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

We need to reinvent gods so that they can all come arrest HP, because they have commited not just crimes and felonies like the title suggests, but actual sins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssob-7sGVWs

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That was one of those things where I heard it but didn't quite comprehend for another minute what the gently caress.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

That was one of those things where I heard it but didn't quite comprehend for another minute what the gently caress.
I legitimately hid my head in my hands and screamed when I heard it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

njsykora posted:

I love it when Gravis finds those. He’s so good at them.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTkvr_EC2LA

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

We need to reinvent gods so that they can all come arrest HP, because they have commited not just crimes and felonies like the title suggests, but actual sins:

Come for the crazy hacky HP bullshit, stay for the rant about how we're at the end of technological history and invention is dead.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Society's to blame if you ask me. The Microsoft-Intel duopoly eroded away all the sane ways for PC hardware vendors to differentiate themselves, leaving them to grasp at straws like this. And the original sin behind the most horrible thing covered in that video was Intel putting SMM into the 386SL.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I really do wish there were more weird architectures and OS’s to go along with them. PowerPC is all but dead, sparc is dead except in weird enterprise circumstances. ARM is at least different than x86 but runs all the same OS’s as x86, so it doesn’t seem very different in practice.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Come for the crazy hacky HP bullshit, stay for the rant about how we're at the end of technological history and invention is dead.

There is a reason HP split into two companies -- so that the profitable company could drop the consumer product lines. When it comes to HPE server hardware design still has problems to solve and nice big margins.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I really do wish there were more weird architectures and OS’s to go along with them. PowerPC is all but dead, sparc is dead except in weird enterprise circumstances. ARM is at least different than x86 but runs all the same OS’s as x86, so it doesn’t seem very different in practice.

goon project: Zybourne OS

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

trilobite terror posted:

a variant of plan 9

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I follow RISC-V because of this, very adventurous.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I wrote an eerily similar essay back in 2002, and got an A despite my teacher vehimently disagreeing with me.

BobHoward posted:

Society's to blame if you ask me. The Microsoft-Intel duopoly eroded away all the sane ways for PC hardware vendors to differentiate themselves, leaving them to grasp at straws like this. And the original sin behind the most horrible thing covered in that video was Intel putting SMM into the 386SL.
Society didn’t really get a choice, as the duopoly didn’t come about by accident.

I seem to recall that SMM was introduced to make ACPI S3 and S4 work, which I thought was why he demonstrated that working in the video - but then it wasn’t brought up.

SCheeseman posted:

I follow RISC-V because of this, very adventurous.
Unfortunately, RISC-V boards still use the same proprietary blobs for DDR, PCIe, PHY and MAC for LAN, and so on and so forth - and the few companies making those have 40 years of experience behind making them as fast as they are.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 26, 2024

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

trilobite terror posted:

Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Process scheduling works the same way.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The problem with his argument - that we'll never have another Walkman moment, which is what he's using to describe an innovation so impactful that it reshapes the very way that society interacts with tech - is that we have already had another one since then: the smart phone. And that wasn't based on any kind of amazing breakthrough, it was just a bunch of small things getting good enough to make it possible: good enough touch screens, good enough batteries, good enough SSDs, and all of those good enough parts being cheap enough to make sense for consumer hardware.

Do I have any idea what the next thing will be or if we'll get it in 10, 20 or 50 years? No loving clue, and that's kind of the point.

He's got some other points that are well made about waste and how companies constantly gently caress up IT spending. Yeah, your average office drone can do their TPS reports on a 2015 vintage desktop just fine. Yeah, it's a very mature and very crowded marketplace to be selling enterprise office hardware. But I think he's also ignoring the kind of wear and tear that daily driver office computers face. My work PC is a 4 year old Dell surface clone and hooooly poo poo it's showing its age. It's absolutely fine spec-wise to do the MS Office type poo poo I need to use it for, but it's got a failing fan and the keyboard is acting wonky and the screen's a bit hosed up in a spot and in general it's just getting rough. If I wasn't using it docked all day it would absolutely need to be replaced. As it is I'm trying to baby it just because i don't want to deal with IT loving up transferring my poo poo over until I absolutely have to.

So, yeah, Bob from accounting could do his job on a ten year old Dell desktop. But that hardware wasn't stuck in a time warp, it's been used and run ragged. It's like buying a 5 year old used car that's been doing Uber 24/7 and has 200k+ miles on it. poo poo wears out, and when you get new there's zero reason to artificially hold yourself back to some ancient good enough spec, even if you're not going to be using it to its full potential.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Bring back the BeBox imo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

priznat posted:

Bring back the BeBox imo

Steve should have bought beOS. Every release of Mac OS drives us further from god.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Steve should have bought beOS. Every release of Mac OS drives us further from god.

As an Amiga guy BeOS was a pretty sweet evolution of that, kinda like a Mac and an Amiga had a baby.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
mac os got better and better from 10.0 until 10.6 and then its been on a steady decline ever since

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

You can run Haiku on an i9 and live that BeOS dream today!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCmrKKu-oBg

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BeBoxes were ahead of the curve with the sweet front panel LEDs.. That rules using one of those swanky Fractal cases for an updated version of it

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Negotiations to buy Be were under Gil Amelio. Apple's board decided to buy NeXT instead because NeXT's OS was feature complete (beOS was a bit too tech demo in 1996, lots of stuff wasn't there yet), and it came with a side order of Steve Jobs. Also, JLG tried to demand too much for Be, thinking he was Apple's only option. (They did pay more than JLG's asking price to acquire NeXT, but they were getting a lot more.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The problem with his argument - that we'll never have another Walkman moment, which is what he's using to describe an innovation so impactful that it reshapes the very way that society interacts with tech - is that we have already had another one since then: the smart phone. And that wasn't based on any kind of amazing breakthrough, it was just a bunch of small things getting good enough to make it possible: good enough touch screens, good enough batteries, good enough SSDs, and all of those good enough parts being cheap enough to make sense for consumer hardware.

I don't think he meant that the Walkman was the last of these moments (hell the PC came 2 years after the Walkman), more than the Walkman was a good example of this kind of "product that shapes the world around it" moment. But also you could make the argument that the smart phone wasn't really its own thing more than it was a combination of a bunch of other things, which is literally how Apple introduced the iPhone as a phone, iPod and web browser combined.