Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

The lane keep assist on my car seems a bit wack though. If it activates it does a very jerky correction and it feels like it's actually trying to send me out of my lane.

Unless your system is broken, it's probably fighting you to stay centered, and you're used to being closer to one edge of the lane so it feels unnatural

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

My lane keeping (VW) is really gentle, just feels like a really gentle nudge, or a rumble if it thinks you're about to hugely run out of your lane. I honestly wish it was a little more aggressive, I've rented Hyundai/Kias before and the lane keeping will try pretty aggressively to keep you right in the center of the lane, rather than just not straying outside of it, and I quite liked it.

Subaru's implementation of lane centering also seemed pretty good, though as I recall it was only available on the fancy Legacy I test drove.

But yeah radar based ACC owns bones, and collision avoidance where it just stomps on the brakes for you if it thinks you're going to hit the thing in front of you is a fantastic feature. Hopefully Europe will just start requiring it on new vehicles, and then it'll trickle in the North American market in <checks notes> 30 years.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 16, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

SlowBloke posted:

I unsubbed from him when he went antilockdown and other chud adjacent stuff during the covid era, it was sorta grating at the time. He is a good driver and some of his apex adjacent content is cool, like the kubica at the ring run that was astonishingly quick.

Oh dammit, that’s a bummer.

Yeah I got into it originally because of the Kubica run where he just beat the poo poo out of that M4 getting every ounce of speed. The follow up video was really interesting how he went over what happened to the car, with the main casualty being the wheel bearings.

When I was into F1 Kubica was one of my fav drivers. Shame the sport is so dull now.

Also talking about auto brake my Volvo has just insane reverse auto braking. The first few times it happened I thought I had hit an invisible post. Just slams the brakes so hard. There is a spot where I have to disable it now as it is slightly off street angled parking where you can back up to get pointed forward without going into traffic, but it thinks you are going to back out onto the street and just clamps down hard lol

priznat fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 16, 2024

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

priznat posted:

Also talking about auto brake my Volvo has just insane reverse auto braking. The first few times it happened I thought I had hit an invisible post. Just slams the brakes so hard. There is a spot where I have to disable it now as it is slightly off street angled parking where you can back up to get pointed forward without going into traffic, but it thinks you are going to back out onto the street and just clamps down hard lol

When i had my car for less than a month, i didn't size well my car dimensions and almost reversed into a wall. The auto brake system got me hard, to the point that i thought i went thru the wall.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SlowBloke posted:

When i had my car for less than a month, i didn't size well my car dimensions and almost reversed into a wall. The auto brake system got me hard, to the point that i thought i went thru the wall.

I had a rental a year back that did this and sold me on it. I was in a strip mall and was backing out to leave when some jackass tore through it going at least 25, basically driving surface street speeds in the loving parking lot. I absolutely would have backed out in front of his dumb rear end and gotten creamed.

Car slammed to a halt, rear end in a top hat wooshed by right off my bumper.

After I changed my shorts and restarted my heart I reflected that, yeah, there might be something to this tech.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

kliras posted:

at least we will easily recognize ai by all their anime spoilers and incessant evangelism for mechanical keyboards

Mechanical keyboards are the superior keyboard though. They make clicky noises when you type on them. :downs:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Randalor posted:

Mechanical keyboards are the superior keyboard though. They make clicky noises when you type on them. :downs:

Moving to a big city cured me of mechanicalkeyboarditis because it made me value absolute silence where I could get it, and now my keyboard of choice is the objectively good, chiclet-styled Logitech MX Keys keyboard 😌

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they make silent mechanical keyboard switches now

you know you want one

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’ve been waiting for the Logitech g915 to go on sale with the tactile keys. It is too expensive to pay full price for, I can wait!

It seems like it is being phased out but they don’t really have something similar ready to go.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

priznat posted:

Speaking of car stuff I have been getting into this guy’s channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifZDPsfghyk

Guy lives near the Nurburgring and works/worked at a place that does the ring taxi service and rentals and is a pretty great driver doing laps in everything from stock hot hatches to hypercars. I would love to go there someday and get a ride around with a pro driver. I am not foolish enough to attempt doing it in a rental.

Oh I remember that guy, I quickly got bored of the supercar content but some of his videos featuring lovely old beaters were really funny, like there was some Suzuki Swift with 60 hp or something. Absolute favorite video was this though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CievyzMQSw

1200€ clapped-out Citroën Xsara family hatchback with 130k miles on it and godawful worn-out tires on a wet track with four people in the car and everyone is laughing hysterically as the car tries to slide off the track at every single turn.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

PittTheElder posted:

But yeah radar based ACC owns bones, and collision avoidance where it just stomps on the brakes for you if it thinks you're going to hit the thing in front of you is a fantastic feature. Hopefully Europe will just start requiring it on new vehicles, and then it'll trickle in the North American market in <checks notes> 30 years.
I think the next mandate for US vehicles is automatic braking (think the requirement was starting this year). Then it goes to lane assist.

priznat posted:

I’ve been waiting for the Logitech g915 to go on sale with the tactile keys. It is too expensive to pay full price for, I can wait!

It seems like it is being phased out but they don’t really have something similar ready to go.
Odds are it won't be as I don't think they sold that many, but they did give out a ton to reviewers. It's just not worth it at full price. I really don't think it's worth it for half the listed retail. Larger than full-size due to the G-keys. Not hot-swappable (more handy than you might think). No Layers (though not totally needed on a full-size). The only slight benefit is it runs on their Lightspeed wireless, which is quite fast.

At the 250 bucks you can get into custom boards, though finding full-size is a bit more of a look, as the "hobby" really leans towards TKL or smaller.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

repiv posted:

they make silent mechanical keyboard switches now

you know you want one

Yeah I dunno why people think mechanical keyboards are big clacky things. Both of mine are quiet, and one’s a standard Logitech

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023
keyboard goop helps keep it silent

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Do NOT gently caress the keyboard

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

tokin opposition posted:

Do NOT gently caress the keyboard

Too late I'm already lubing it up.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QztFpzKsdeA

Wow a 13 minute video that vaguely gestures towards "Product reviews are buying advice idiot".

Really highlights how much YouTubers want to avoid having things like editorial standards....

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 17, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Koskun posted:

I think the next mandate for US vehicles is automatic braking (think the requirement was starting this year). Then it goes to lane assist.

Odds are it won't be as I don't think they sold that many, but they did give out a ton to reviewers. It's just not worth it at full price. I really don't think it's worth it for half the listed retail. Larger than full-size due to the G-keys. Not hot-swappable (more handy than you might think). No Layers (though not totally needed on a full-size). The only slight benefit is it runs on their Lightspeed wireless, which is quite fast.

At the 250 bucks you can get into custom boards, though finding full-size is a bit more of a look, as the "hobby" really leans towards TKL or smaller.

Good info, I had gotten a razer black widow v3 on sale (like 40% off) and I think it’s trash, not even counting the absolute garbage software.

What I would like is:
- mechanical keys with good feel
- easy to clean/blast out with air
- RGB LEDs (I can’t help it I love colourful keyboards)
- volume knob and music controls
- numeric keypad (tkl feels weird to me)
- Solid build quality/good warranty
- (optional) macro keys might be fun, but I’ll be damned if I can get the mouse macros working in Logitech poo poo software already

The other one I was eyeballing was the steelseries apex I think it was. I just set a camelcamelcamel alert for big price drops for stuff and wait.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

priznat posted:

Good info, I had gotten a razer black widow v3 on sale (like 40% off) and I think it’s trash, not even counting the absolute garbage software.

What I would like is:
- (optional) macro keys might be fun, but I’ll be damned if I can get the mouse macros working in Logitech poo poo software already

The other one I was eyeballing was the steelseries apex I think it was. I just set a camelcamelcamel alert for big price drops for stuff and wait.

There is a keyboard thread here. They are quite good about recommendations.

The typical response would be a Keychron, however I wouldn't. Programming the keys is done through a website that is flashed to your keyboard, and their customer service is actively hostile. Every Keychron recommendation ends with "buy it on Amazon in case you need to return it".

I happen to have the Steelseries Apex Pro, in both TKL and full-size. I love it. Linear, full RGB, and since they are optical switches you can adjust the actuation point on the fly to the whole keyboard, or go into the software for individual keys. It sounds like a gimmick, but it's been quite nice. Downside, it is not hotswap, so if a switch dies then it's warranty replacement if in that timeline or buy a new one.

I've had a Blackwidow, I think the V2, and it just felt very cheap and hollow. I have one of their optical switch keyboards as well, I think it is called the Huntsman. The keycaps killed it for me, as they are way too thin and the whole thing just feels cheaply made (I got it used for like 20 bucks, so).

I thought I would have issues adjusting to a TKL, and while I tried a 60% and 70% - those are literally just the letters and side keys, no F-row, those I did not like at all. A normal TKL has the arrow keys, Ins/Del cluster, and function row. The Apex has a tiny little roller for volume and a Play/Pause below it. They can be changed in the software if you wish last I looked. Not having a numpad, well I still reach for it once in a while, but I really don't miss it, and I have a little USB numpad laying around somewhere.

The Steelseries Apex Pro I've seen go on sale here and there, but they generally don't knock that much off. Generally around 20-30 bucks.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Koskun posted:

There is a keyboard thread here. They are quite good about recommendations.

The typical response would be a Keychron, however I wouldn't. Programming the keys is done through a website that is flashed to your keyboard, and their customer service is actively hostile. Every Keychron recommendation ends with "buy it on Amazon in case you need to return it".

I happen to have the Steelseries Apex Pro, in both TKL and full-size. I love it. Linear, full RGB, and since they are optical switches you can adjust the actuation point on the fly to the whole keyboard, or go into the software for individual keys. It sounds like a gimmick, but it's been quite nice. Downside, it is not hotswap, so if a switch dies then it's warranty replacement if in that timeline or buy a new one.

I've had a Blackwidow, I think the V2, and it just felt very cheap and hollow. I have one of their optical switch keyboards as well, I think it is called the Huntsman. The keycaps killed it for me, as they are way too thin and the whole thing just feels cheaply made (I got it used for like 20 bucks, so).

I thought I would have issues adjusting to a TKL, and while I tried a 60% and 70% - those are literally just the letters and side keys, no F-row, those I did not like at all. A normal TKL has the arrow keys, Ins/Del cluster, and function row. The Apex has a tiny little roller for volume and a Play/Pause below it. They can be changed in the software if you wish last I looked. Not having a numpad, well I still reach for it once in a while, but I really don't miss it, and I have a little USB numpad laying around somewhere.

The Steelseries Apex Pro I've seen go on sale here and there, but they generally don't knock that much off. Generally around 20-30 bucks.

Without delving in to it much when the keyboard thread is better, anything that uses VIA for programming doesn't need to do it through a browser. You can just download VIA and do it that way. A browser is just more convenient for people because it doesn't require downloading/installing a program, which is also good if you aren't on your own computer; configuring through a browser or standalone app is otherwise the exact same experience.

The whole "buy a Keychron from literally anywhere else but Keychron" is still true though, because their customer service is complete dogshit.

Randalor posted:

The sound a mechanical keyboard makes is largely based on the switches it has. It'll be clicky if you use something clicky. If you use silent switches, it'll be quiet. My current keyboard currently has Durock Dolphin switches in it, which are silent linear switches, and it is quieter than most membrane keyboards. You can make your keyboard even quieter with additional mods like lubricating the stabilizer bars or taking apart the switches and lubricating them as well (and some switches come lubed from the factory, but would benefit from additional lube).

There are hundreds of MX compatible switch variants out now made by several companies, and that's not counting anything customized .

People who are in to mechanical keyboards will often go through several different switches before finding one that they like the most in how it sounds and how it feels, both in tactility and in keypress weight.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 17, 2024

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

FuturePastNow posted:

My friend bought a Hyundai with lane keeping and auto-braking and he discovered how to trick it into activating those features in city traffic. He gleefully demonstrated this to me one day and then noted that his ex-wife/business partner will no longer ride with him

i also have a lane keeping device, it's called "look ahead as far as possible"

always work for some reason

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

priznat posted:

My VW has that, it's great. Also the ACC on it will a) slam the brakes if it needs to and b) beep loudly at you and tell you to pay attention to the road if it has to do it, which seems like a decent idea.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

priznat posted:

What I would like is:

I have a G915 TKL and it's like a $120ish dollar keyboard with a 200+ dollar price tag. I have seen them on sale here and there but not for less than around $150. It's a pretty good keyboard but the main reason I like it is the lightspeed wireless; I use it as a secondary keyboard on a second PC so I pick it up and put it on my lap sometimes and always use it wirelessly. RGB looks nice but I mostly set it to one color. Battery life is good but I'm not a heavy user of it.

Downsides I've noticed:
When I wake it up by hitting a key, if I hold the key down it releases while held down and I have to hit it again. Not a big deal for typing where you'd move to the next key anyway, but if I start hitting it to move a character in a game and the keyboard was asleep, then I have to tap the key again to keep moving. I gave one to my friend as well when I got mine and he'd never noticed it but he uses his more for general use and typing.
I always want the gaming mode (windows key off) to be on, but it toggles off when asleep. I would think that would be a setting in GHUB but I haven't found it. One of my biggest real issues with it, that should be a toggle that gets remembered.
The low profile keys are alright but it kind of sucks that logitech had kailh make a version of the choc low profile switches with their own keycap mounting stems. You can replace the switches with kailh switches but if you want to use the logitech keycaps you need to open the switches and swap the stem. The switches are soldered in, so no quick swap of course. The keycaps are really wobbly on the stems or the stems are wobbly. It's never given me any issues with pressing keys, like no keycap interference, but they sure can tilt!
GHUB isn't the best software but it hasn't given me any issues, it can just be a little annoying to find what you want in it.
My G915 TKL is micro USB for charging. Not a huge deal, but I don't know if they've revised it to add USB-C. The Logitech MX Keys mini I got for the iMac like 8 months after the G915 has USB-C.

Upsides:
Seems pretty durable so far, I've had mine a couple of years.
Logitech replaced my friend's keyboard when one of the switches stopped working. They sent him a whole second one so he could try to repair the first one if he wants to.
Lightspeed wireless is fast.

Redragon has a knock off of the G915 that's waayyyyy cheaper. Hell, it's $49 right now. Probably has worse wireless speed and likely other downsides, but it's extremely similar looking:
https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-Mechanical-Bluetooth-Ultra-Thin-Connection/dp/B098785CL3/

In the grass is always greener world of mech keyboards I now want a hall effect keyboard with quick release/rapid trigger to see if it helps in FPSes but I'm staying strong and holding out for now, even though some companies have them down in the $120 range (Drunkdeer A75 with no keycaps).

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Cooking channel, but it’s an interesting look into YouTube:

https://youtu.be/OxGFEUefv6g?si=dnoPJOyvPs0C5J8x

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

TheFluff posted:

Oh I remember that guy, I quickly got bored of the supercar content but some of his videos featuring lovely old beaters were really funny, like there was some Suzuki Swift with 60 hp or something. Absolute favorite video was this though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CievyzMQSw

1200€ clapped-out Citroën Xsara family hatchback with 130k miles on it and godawful worn-out tires on a wet track with four people in the car and everyone is laughing hysterically as the car tries to slide off the track at every single turn.

Most people who know the ins and outs of the nordschleife think he's a bit of a twat, as he's doing all this on touristenfahrten days, so this means that you get locals who know the track inside and out alongside people who might just be taking their family car out for a lap. The risks he takes with peoples cars is very high, especially because most insurers don't cover the ring and especially not touristenfahrten days.

For example, say your car develops an oil leak, a biker slips on the oil and they go off and into the barriers. Well now you'll be liable for the bike, the bikers injuries, the damage to the armco and also I'm pretty sure the costs of having to shut the track. God knows what he'd be liable for if he binned a car with four people in it. But no doubt he's a skilled driver, but he's still not on the level of most actual pro drivers. As they would be assessing the risk of driving some randos car they'd just rocked up in in ???? state of maintanance, wheras Misha will just send it without thinking about what might go wrong. He's definitely crashed peoples cars before but weirdly they never make it into videos.

I've been tracking cars for over 10 years but I've still never visited the ring to do a touristenfahrten session because after hearing the risks and the horror stories it's put me off completely. I still want to drive it but I'd need do book onto one of the official trackdays which closes the track for people who have signed up rather than just whoever buys laps on the day. These are much safer but they get booked up quickly, so I've already missed all the dates this year annoyingly.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Post/username :hmmyes:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Lol I forgot about my username, an admin gave me it! Also it's a regular car reviews reference!

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Got some Hoosiers for the track day bro

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

apatheticman posted:

Wow a 13 minute video that vaguely gestures towards "Product reviews are buying advice idiot".

Really highlights how much YouTubers want to avoid having things like editorial standards....

Like all reviewers they will never give up the gravy train. Companies/people dedicated to reviews are all shills. No honesty.

Palladium posted:

i also have a lane keeping device, it's called "look ahead as far as possible"

always work for some reason

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

track day bro! posted:

Most people who know the ins and outs of the nordschleife think he's a bit of a twat, as he's doing all this on touristenfahrten days, so this means that you get locals who know the track inside and out alongside people who might just be taking their family car out for a lap. The risks he takes with peoples cars is very high, especially because most insurers don't cover the ring and especially not touristenfahrten days.

For example, say your car develops an oil leak, a biker slips on the oil and they go off and into the barriers. Well now you'll be liable for the bike, the bikers injuries, the damage to the armco and also I'm pretty sure the costs of having to shut the track. God knows what he'd be liable for if he binned a car with four people in it. But no doubt he's a skilled driver, but he's still not on the level of most actual pro drivers. As they would be assessing the risk of driving some randos car they'd just rocked up in in ???? state of maintanance, wheras Misha will just send it without thinking about what might go wrong. He's definitely crashed peoples cars before but weirdly they never make it into videos.

I've been tracking cars for over 10 years but I've still never visited the ring to do a touristenfahrten session because after hearing the risks and the horror stories it's put me off completely. I still want to drive it but I'd need do book onto one of the official trackdays which closes the track for people who have signed up rather than just whoever buys laps on the day. These are much safer but they get booked up quickly, so I've already missed all the dates this year annoyingly.

Yeah in the back of my head I'm always thinking "Ehhh that doesn't seem quite right" but I do love some track driving vids. The best vids are the ones where it is someone else driving tbh, like Kubica or the one armed guy who can drive incredibly smooth laps.

It's amazing to me that people just turn the keys over to him to do a hot lap, especially with what I had heard about the insurance being essentially nullified on the ring there.

I would go just to get a ride in one of the taxis, wouldn't risk my car or a rental :haw:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

apatheticman posted:

Vintersorg posted:

Like all reviewers they will never give up the gravy train. Companies/people dedicated to reviews are all shills. No honesty.

Crying editorial standards and "shilling" in this context (Humane AI and Fisker) is absolutely crazy.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Apparently you can get insurance with some rentals but the details didn't seem that clear.

I did initially enjoy his content but the more I watched it the more I noticed how sketchy it was and it felt like he was doing stupid poo poo for the content.

One good ring youtuber is BTGDale, but really he doesn't do many videos. However they are more techy which I quite like but you aren't going to get the views Misha does driving some random persons 800bhp audi or whatever.

Edit: Oops forgot to put a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkjdUXhKKLY

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Crying editorial standards and "shilling" in this context (Humane AI and Fisker) is absolutely crazy.

Elaborate.

I'm basically saying this was a 13 minute video that could have been a twitter message.

"I have heard the feedback around my humane AI review and want to clarify that my first priority is consumer advice followed by entertainment. I will be releasing an ethics and guidelines document so there is not any misunderstandings of my goals in the future"

Why is that so hard to communicate

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I trust no review sites or anything anymore - there is not a single person not sucking on the teet. You say anything real bad and the free stuff stops coming in.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Vintersorg posted:

I trust no review sites or anything anymore - there is not a single person not sucking on the teet. You say anything real bad and the free stuff stops coming in.

Rtings make a very specific point that they buy everything they review themselves, and the MSI Claw review GN put up a few days ago has some fun stuff about how manufacturers gently caress with devices sent out specifically for review.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Vintersorg posted:

Project Farm is a treasure

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
His narration cadence makes my head spin.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Combat Pretzel posted:

His narration cadence makes my head spin.

We're going to test that!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, RTINGS accepts no sponsorships or review units. Everything is self-bought, and their revenue comes purely from affiliate links and subscriptions. You can argue that their use of affiliate links creates an incentive to sell you on whatever they're reviewing, and they are certainly very lenient on mediocre products in their written opinions, though their objective test-heavy review methodology is still really solid in my opinion. They produce a lot of good data that can be relied on to help you make a better purchasing decision.

Project Farm is the nerdiest tool testing channel out there and I love it. It is very RTINGS-esque in their use of repeatable tests that can be objectively measured. I can (and have) spend hours watching that guy test random chainsaws and bungies and tape measures.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Yeah I'd say affiliate links have poisoned just about every review site. It's like video game reviews where nothing gets less than a 6/10.

Consumer Reports has its shortcomings, but it's still useful for some products, and you can usually get a subscription through your library for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Yep we need to RETVRN to the sort of consumer-funded non-profit organizations that existed before influencers, like Consumer Reports and local equivalents in other countries. I trust GN Steve to not fall prey to the toxic incentives the entire space has, but he's one of very few exceptions. I think a very principled individual being in charge is kind of important for an organization to stay that way, and it can't grow too big; a bigger organization with a less strong culture is bound to align with the incentives sooner or later. GN is really trying to make itself economically independent to disconnect itself from the incentives as far as possible, but it hasn't gone all the way yet.