Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Steve is above any sort of grift, payola, or underhanded corpo dollars.

That is, until I approach him with a new software suite that will quadruple his chart output. And all it will cost him... is a lock of his precious hair. Which will definitely not be used for witchcraft and/or voodoo purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
steve is clearly deep in the tank for big waifu card

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Better than being in for concerningly small waifu card.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

no manufacturer has figured out that to buy steve you have to get him a cool bike

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

repiv posted:

no manufacturer has figured out that to buy steve you have to get him a cool bike
note: does not apply to the amd bike

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

There's some music and retro tech adjacent youtubes that I've been enjoying and because I need to share, here's a few:

Look Mum No Computer

There's so much stuff in Sam's channel, I don't even know where to start. Restoration/salvage of a church organ including turning the whole thing into a midi device? Seemingly endless euro-rack designs, vintage synths, home built synths from the 60's and 70's?

How about a life performance using a few imacs running rebirth using a physical midi console he wired up to match the rebirth UI?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjYQwW9hMoI

This Museum Is Not Obsolete
There's a ton of other stuff he's done with his vintage electronics museum, test gear, a working vintage telephone switch, just .. a lot of interesting tech.

Alex Ball

Not so much for tear downs but some lovingly made historical videos about a ton of vintage gear, and incredibly good songs and interesting demos of the hardware.

Land of the Rising Sound - A Roland Retrospective
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcbpRMZIQ8g&t=21s

Last but not least, the algorithm appears to have me figured and started showing me

Foleytronics Fx Repair

They're a repair shop, and most (well all) of their videos are demos of various items, but some of them are amazing and amusing songs/videos.

Matthew McConaughey Playing Kevin’s Arp Axxe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HkQrUJEP30

Hey Dave, Your Arp Odyssey is Done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiOzrCakLMc
(the *look* @ 8min just kills me IDK)

Hey Jared, We Got The Beans Off Your Juno-106 But The Fire Sauce Is Really Stuck On There
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbdtbxbVgNU

Anyone got any retro tech/music channels they want to share?

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..

I really enjoy this guy. Watching his slow progression from "I found some old telephone switches. Wonder what I can do with them." to "I have built a fully working telephone exchange with multiple lines and phones that can call each other." has been such a blast. His series of buying old synth kits from the 60s-80s and then fixing them up and making music with them is great too.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
I've never watched "Steve" so I'm just going to assume we're talking about the MRE guy

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

tokin opposition posted:

I've never watched "Steve" so I'm just going to assume we're talking about the MRE guy

Stephen Burke is the main talky guy on Gamers Nexus, the one with the hair.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

a computer that could fit in a frame bag would be an interesting small-build challenge

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

Steve MRE is sponsored by the cia to nudge you towards NATO rations thru conscription or the black market ebay/facebook marketplace third party sales

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hifi posted:

Steve MRE is sponsored by the cia to nudge you towards NATO rations thru conscription or the black market ebay/facebook marketplace third party sales

I’m fine with that. He rules.

Him and the lock picking lawyer.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Inept posted:

Yeah I'd say affiliate links have poisoned just about every review site. It's like video game reviews where nothing gets less than a 6/10.

Consumer Reports has its shortcomings, but it's still useful for some products, and you can usually get a subscription through your library for free.

Affiliate links aren't great, but i think the incentives they create are much less toxic than straight-up sponsorships. Yeah, rtings still does the 6 - 10 scale, but at least with self-bought review units and affiliate links as their main source of income, they don't have to risk permanently losing access or a source of revenue for being too negative about a product. And they still get paid when discouraging users from buying bad products—as long as they successfully guide them to better products instead. They just want their readers to buy something. This isn't true neutrality, but it's a lot closer than most other outlets get.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 18, 2024

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Speaking of RTings, they have a new video out explaining their new motion clarity test for monitors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bEKOp1GLDs

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 18, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like the Drumeo shows where they get a drummer to listen to a song they haven't heard and create the drums for it. It's really impressive. Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers fuckin killed it, dude is a character too.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

priznat posted:

Speaking of car stuff I have been getting into this guy’s channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifZDPsfghyk

Guy lives near the Nurburgring and works/worked at a place that does the ring taxi service and rentals and is a pretty great driver doing laps in everything from stock hot hatches to hypercars. I would love to go there someday and get a ride around with a pro driver. I am not foolish enough to attempt doing it in a rental.

he races in the (real life) VLN series with a couple of sim racing youtubers (i guess real racing youtubers now?) and i was actually surprised at how slow he was compared to them, I'd have thought endless real life laps around Nords would make him a sleeper god but he's definitely the slowest of the group

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rexxed posted:

Stephen Burke is the main talky guy on Gamers Nexus, the one with the hair.

Gamers Nexus Steve is actually John Romero aging in reverse

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MarcusSA posted:

I’m fine with that. He rules.

Him and the lock picking lawyer.
I used to watch SteveMRE all the time, but that's definitely slowed down over the past couple years.

Lockpicking lawyer is always a watch for me whenever a new episode drops. His vids are so quick I kind wish he'd actually spend a bit more time on explaining things instead of boiling down to the super quick 3 minutes, which I know is specifically what he tries to do.

I think GN, while they may still have some sponsorship/affiliates, are really trying to nurture their own funding model to enable them to be unbiased, or probably more accurately, not be accused of being biased.

I really enjoy the Technology Connections guy. He really goes down the rabbit hole on some subjects.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Gamers Nexus Steve is actually John Romero aging in reverse
LOL

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

LGR takes the biggest L in his channel's history.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aoBK-K_K-Y

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Channelling the inner MJD inside us all

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Inkjet printers from that era were dogshit when they were made. Just 100% absolute garbage.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

priznat posted:

I like the Drumeo shows where they get a drummer to listen to a song they haven't heard and create the drums for it. It's really impressive. Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers fuckin killed it, dude is a character too.

I hate RHCP but that video was cool.

That channel also has the first ever recorded interview with a member of Sleep Token, the drummer ( goes by “II” ) guested and played through some of his tracks and blew everyone’s mind.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

priznat posted:

The one where he absolutely crushes a 30 Seconds to Mars song and honestly improves it is fantastic.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

My other fave was the guy from Megadeth playing to Mr. Brightside. Pure energy.

If more YouTube channels were like Drumeo, YouTube would be good.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mike Portnoy jamming the gently caress out to Nickelback is also a good watch.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AlternateAccount posted:

Inkjet printers from that era were dogshit when they were made. Just 100% absolute garbage.

we had multiple ones of those because McDonalds used to have a promo where you could get them for cheap with a Happy Meal and it was less expensive to buy a new printer than to try and buy more ink.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
that's also still the case but now HP's scam rear end poo poo wants you to sign in to an account in order to scan and tries to fob you onto a subscription service for ink lol

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kazinsal posted:

The one where he absolutely crushes a 30 Seconds to Mars song and honestly improves it is fantastic.

Yeah that ruled, it was impressive watching a pro musician at that level. He’s such a good sport. The hosts all being in awe as he just slipped right into the song and started adding great fills on the fly. Agreed YouTube needs more stuff like Drumeo. I’m a big fan of Davie504 as someone who has played a bass at one time long ago (but was never very good)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I like Davie sometimes; but 3/4 of videos being extremely dank injokes is alienating. Great player though. Drumeo is so professional compared to most channels. Paul Davids is a similar level of slick, focussed on guitars however.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

we had multiple ones of those because McDonalds used to have a promo where you could get them for cheap with a Happy Meal and it was less expensive to buy a new printer than to try and buy more ink.

when i was in college 15 years ago it was still cheaper to print at the school's printing shop than to buy any printer myself

hell from the looks of it i doubt they used authentic laser toner too

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I mean yeah that's what I do right now. walk over to the print shop and have stuff printed rather than struggle with a printer. It's so much easier to do nowadays because the shop has a telegram account so you just send the file to them and they'll take care of it, rather than having to futz around with a USB stick

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

steve nexus is going after edvard waterblock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b73xG1HlFhY

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Less Steve going after them and more exposing that they're on the brink of going bankrupt and aren't paying their staff or suppliers.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

repiv posted:

A Slovenian company cutting OT hours and not properly paying their workers? Claiming that they stole the items and cutting wages from everyone? Shocked I must tell you.

Just kidding this is nothing new and I'm thankful that GN has slapped them across their face and put their idiotic culture on public display.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

lol they literally tried to bribe him

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm picturing it like the scene in The Blues Brothers where Jake tries to buy the guy's wife. Your review. How much for the review. I want to buy your review. as Steve gets increasingly flustered

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
I'm so grateful I managed to snag a brother printer right before enshittification ramped up

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

I'm so grateful I managed to snag a brother printer right before enshittification ramped up

Brother Laser for me. :D

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

repiv posted:

Maybe this is just because the only two GN videos I’ve seen have been reading someone for filth, but if he’s going to go with the “uninterrupted :words: with no pauses” style of delivery, he desperately needs better writing and editing. When the video can be reduced to…

• We’ve found EK is behind on payments to # suppliers for as much as $.
  • We’ve found EK is behind on paying # employees up to # months of wages and # months of raises.
  • EK sent an insane C&D to an employee for speaking out.
  • Despite being unable to pay anyone, EK is paying for a trade show booth worth $.
  • EK reps tried to pay GN for coverage.

…It shouldn’t take six minutes a bullet to cover it. I wish he’d invest more time in editing down the writing, doing more takes, and editing down the video, because holding folks accountable is valuable in this space, but this format is only reducing the addressable audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it does make it harder for other people to chop it up and slap it on their own videos to "react" to, though. sort of a self defence against the worst people on youtube misrepresenting things and stealing content while calling it anything but

doesn't mean it couldn't be less dry and spread out, though