Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

I'm so grateful I managed to snag a brother printer right before enshittification ramped up

Did they recently become lovely too? I have one from a few years ago which has been solid at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
yes please tell me. I have a 10 year old HP that I’m dying to replace with something less obviously predatory

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Gamers Nexus Steve is actually John Romero aging in reverse

ITT we are all his bitch

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I got a brother all in one ages ago and replaced the toner like once so far and have another one ready to go because a two pack was the best deal on Amazon. It wasn’t even that expensive iirc.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Blue Moonlight posted:

Maybe this is just because the only two GN videos I’ve seen have been reading someone for filth, but if he’s going to go with the “uninterrupted :words: with no pauses” style of delivery, he desperately needs better writing and editing.

This has been the GN style for as long as the channel’s existed, it seems to be working out for them. The early Youtube days for them were literally Steve reading articles from the website.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

GN videos are unwatchable, thank god for the website

also who are you people that print things more than once a year? We bought an old color laserjet for $50 like five years ago and have never had to change the toner.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Didn’t watch this video, but imo Steve is usually charismatic enough to make that style work.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yah I like and respect Steve but I can’t watch the videos that much.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

HKR posted:

also who are you people that print things more than once a year?

My mom. For recipes. My parents should probably get a laser printer.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

HKR posted:

also who are you people that print things more than once a year? We bought an old color laserjet for $50 like five years ago and have never had to change the toner.

For the handful of forms I need once or twice a year, I simply print things at work like an adult

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Ink will dry in 3 months, get something that uses toner and worry about that poo poo 3 times a decade. If the toner gets light just give it a good shake 👍

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

This popped up on my homepage; just absolute TelCo nerds getting old phone switching systems up and running and I never would've thought I'd find it all very fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k865-VjWUk8

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
If you need a printer get a brother laser
If you need an inkjet, no you don't
If you really really need an inkjet the Epson ecotank series is the least lovely

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Don't Ecotanks have a system where it flushes out its tubes every so often into a sponge in the back, and the whole thing shuts off after a preset number of purges? Sounds like just a slightly new scam to make up for the old scam of ink cartridges.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

A good poster posted:

Don't Ecotanks have a system where it flushes out its tubes every so often into a sponge in the back, and the whole thing shuts off after a preset number of purges? Sounds like just a slightly new scam to make up for the old scam of ink cartridges.

I have a big rear end epson workforce inkjet which has that but you can clean it out yourself.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

A good poster posted:

You rarely have to replace that and it's not all that expensive when you do.

https://epson.com/c/Ink-Maintenance-Box-C9345/p/C12C934591

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Volte posted:

You rarely have to replace that and it's not all that expensive when you do.

https://epson.com/c/Ink-Maintenance-Box-C9345/p/C12C934591

You can't just empty that little box out and replace it, you have to buy a new one?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Mental Hospitality posted:

This popped up on my homepage; just absolute TelCo nerds getting old phone switching systems up and running and I never would've thought I'd find it all very fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k865-VjWUk8

if you're ever in seattle and have a bored sunday afternoon to kill, The Connections Museum is great.

https://www.telcomhistory.org/connections-museum-seattle/

Seattle phone nerds are powerful

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I really need to get down there one of these days. Super cool stuff.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

A good poster posted:

You can't just empty that little box out and replace it, you have to buy a new one?
It's got a sponge inside or something. I'm not saying it's not a money grab but I've had to replace mine once in like three years so it's not exactly comparable to the scam of the ink cartridge treadmill.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

HKR posted:

if you're ever in seattle and have a bored sunday afternoon to kill, The Connections Museum is great.

https://www.telcomhistory.org/connections-museum-seattle/

Seattle phone nerds are powerful

Maybe optical networking stuff isn't old enough, but I'd love to check out some SONET/SDH racks.. I worked a few co-ops at Nortel on OC-48 racks and it was really cool stuff.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You don’t need an inkjet unless you’re printing large format roll paper or on some ultra bougie paper like Hannemuhle Photo Rag.

I’m convinced that boomers printing emails are keeping the cheap inkjet economy alive.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Beve Stuscemi posted:

You don’t need an inkjet unless you’re printing large format roll paper or on some ultra bougie paper like Hannemuhle Photo Rag.

I’m convinced that boomers printing emails are keeping the cheap inkjet economy alive.

Small businesses, churches, and local government too.

I admin a few rural townships, and have been to dozens of others, and they are all the same. Every office (generally 4-5 individual, one for each elected board official and assessor, plus secretary stations for the "larger" ones) has a $30-40 HP printer they got from Walmart. Try and question them about that and they get so possessive about it because they NEED a printer. It gets better, as so many of them will have a $10-15,000 copier out in a central location. When I've brought up "You know, you can all print to that copier. There is no need for everyone* to have individual printers" they go from possessive to stubborn idiots. It should also be noted, especially in the more rural townships and small cities, the board members are up there in age. In the ones I admin there isn't an elected official under 60 years old.

* - The one exception I can see is for the Treasurer of the townships and cities. They have to print off receipts, and while not often, they do sometimes get payments in cash. Simply reaching over to grab the receipt rather than walking (maybe 20' I'll grant) to get it, taking them out of the office, is more a security matter than anything.

Back to the GN Steve video about EK. It really should of been half the length it was. He gets on these ramble's about this or that, which only last a few moments, but he does them so often it ends up bloating the video. I really agree that they need a much better editing setup.

The bribe thing that was brought up, I didn't see the context until I watched the video. Steve was vague about when it happened, which appeared to be around the 1080 launch, based on the one video clip he showed during that segment. Now he did mention it was a while ago, but him even mentioning it as he did doesn't do his video any favors, since that would of been 8 years ago give or take. And he kind of brushed it aside even when he brought up how that rep was fired after it was brought to the attention of EK corporate.

Also, their copper cup is so dumb. Just what a want, a cup for a cold beverage that is made to sweat all over everything.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Koskun posted:

Also, their copper cup is so dumb. Just what a want, a cup for a cold beverage that is made to sweat all over everything.

It’s a mule mug, which are typically made from copper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_mule

The whole idea is for the copper to insulate the drink to keep it cold, which is also why you shouldn’t put hot beverages in one because the mug will conduct the heat and you won’t be able to hold it without burning yourself.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Branch Nvidian posted:

It’s a mule mug, which are typically made from copper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_mule

The whole idea is for the copper to insulate the drink to keep it cold, which is also why you shouldn’t put hot beverages in one because the mug will conduct the heat and you won’t be able to hold it without burning yourself.

Except copper is a conductor, not an insulator. Well technically anything can be an insulator, it's just copper if a very very very poor one. You can see how much the GN cups were dripping condensation in their promo shots of them. Not to mention, those cups would warm up the cold beverage faster than even a glass cup, as they are going to pull the cold out to the environment.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The idea of a mule mug is to get the cup just as ice cold as the drink.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I watched the EK video, I don't see much point in all that runtime. The other long form attack videos had a public service angle (this product will burn down your house), this one is just "this company has discussible business practices". It almost feel like they had a bad month on views and need something to fill up their quota.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

SlowBloke posted:

I watched the EK video, I don't see much point in all that runtime. The other long form attack videos had a public service angle (this product will burn down your house), this one is just "this company has discussible business practices". It almost feel like they had a bad month on views and need something to fill up their quota.

If calling them out for wage theft gets them to actually make payroll (like it sounded they were scrambling to do) then it's worth it.

GN can be pretty ramble-y but I agree this was more so than usual. From what Steve said near the end it sounded like he edited it himself (which makes sense since it went up on a Saturday) and I also got the impression that they moved pretty quick on this one, so he probably didn't do that much script editing. There are some weird language errors in there too, like he uses "beyond reproach" to mean the opposite of what it usually means at one point.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I can understand each person in an office wanting their own printer. Having a large central printer/copier of course makes more sense, but there's always at least one rear end in a top hat that ruins it for everyone else. The type that go and grab the entire stack of printouts, take it back to their desk, and then pull out everything that's theirs, and leaves everyone else's in a messy pile at their desk, or even just throws them out because "I didn't print these other sheets, must be junk".

We've got one of those at my workplace, and another who will cancel other people's in-progress print jobs because "they really need to use the printer".

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Our central printer system is setup so that after queuing up a print job, you walk over to the printer you want, swipe your bade, and then it either prints everything under your ID or lets you select which job(s) to print if it has a touch screen on the printer. Pretty nice way to save paper, make sure things don't get forgotten on the printer, and avoid assholes throwing away your stuff.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Koskun posted:

Not going to rewatch but the inside of the mug is stainless steel, i assume an insert.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

SpartanIvy posted:

Our central printer system is setup so that after queuing up a print job, you walk over to the printer you want, swipe your bade, and then it either prints everything under your ID or lets you select which job(s) to print if it has a touch screen on the printer. Pretty nice way to save paper, make sure things don't get forgotten on the printer, and avoid assholes throwing away your stuff.

Uh, I don't have TIME to be waiting by the printer, it needs to be ready when I get there. Also no one else can see it because it's confidential.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The problem with the office's central printer being tied to badge access is that I can no longer use it to print out GURPS sourcebooks

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

SpartanIvy posted:

Did a summer placement at a place like this and while it definitely saved paper, it burned HOURS of time. To the point that one of my main jobs was taking my supervisor's badge and standing by the printer for half an hour a day gathering up the hundreds of pages of articles she was required to keep a paper copy on file.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

SpartanIvy posted:

Ours works the same (with a PIN option as well, if you don't have your badge set up), it lets you pick what to print, since all the printers I've noticed have a screen. Also does scanning to email, but on Macs you have to set up each printer manually, no centralized one. There probably is a program for it, we just haven't used it yet.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

My workplace does this too and it almost completely negates all the printer assholes famous moves. It's a little inconvenient to wait for a big job to finish but it's worth never having to deal with someone else loving up your stuff, or forgetting to pick up your stuff

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’ve never printed anything at my work but the badge thing also works for scanning and it just puts it in a folder to grab the scans, very convenient.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
My old job had a bypass where you could just add the printer in windows and it would just print

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Why doesn't the printer just print stuff then shoot it out Into a little locker only the printee can receive. Seems simple to me

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

gradenko_2000 posted:

The problem with the office's central printer being tied to badge access is that I can no longer use it to print out GURPS sourcebooks

Nobody has ever mentioned to me any of the books I've printed out, sometimes in colour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

HKR posted:

My mom has a printer but she's 73. She does simple admin and accounting work for her small HOA as well as the choir she sings in because she worked as a secretary and so they pawned that poo poo off on her before she became a pensioner, and prints out that stuff to share with the other members who are mostly 60+ (in both groups). About half of these people couldn't open an email probably so makes sense. She also prints her own sheet notes to read from while singing.

She also prints out and drives 15 mins to deliver the accounting paperwork to the actual HOA accountant every month despite knowing how to and indeed regularly sending emails, and I have no idea why she does this instead of sending it through email? I never bothered asking her lol.

E: The last time I printed anything was in university because one class let us bring whatever we wanted to an exam but only in physical paper form. Many a campus printer was exhausted of ink that week. We got like 80 pages/semester free to print and by Jove we were using all we earned.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 22, 2024