Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Insurrectionist posted:

She also prints out and drives 15 mins to deliver the accounting paperwork to the actual HOA accountant every month despite knowing how to and indeed regularly sending emails, and I have no idea why she does this instead of sending it through email? I never bothered asking her lol.
Don't underestimate the value of physical socializing, especially for older people.
E

e: God dammit, I thought this was the printer thread. Sorry! I'll dump my question over there.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Um have you guys considered the environment before printing this communication? 🌲

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I need this as my Something Awful signature

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
In regards to the whole EK cooling thing. der8auer just popped out with a video saying he's done working with them. I saw a thing mentioned that Jay2cents talked about how he is one of the people waiting to get paid from them, and has also stopped working with them (something about how EK has 2 more ads that they have pre-paid for up till end of May, but sounded like maybe not if he doesn't get a check).

One thing I saw mentioned, their consumer watercooling is a tiny part of their company, as their biggest portion is server level water cooling. I didn't know that.

der8auer has had a special colab with EK, so he's gotta be feeling this one pretty hard. Did say there wasn't any money/royalty fee with EK due to them using Thermalgrizzly, and isn't going to demand them to remove his name/logo from existing products.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SlowBloke posted:

I watched the EK video, I don't see much point in all that runtime. The other long form attack videos had a public service angle (this product will burn down your house), this one is just "this company has discussible business practices". It almost feel like they had a bad month on views and need something to fill up their quota.

A company that can't pay its workers, suppliers, or debts is a company that also probably can't honor a warranty. Especially if they go out of business.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfFuTgnvwgs

Linus and Luke interview Jim Keller for an hour

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's like one of those venomous snakes you know not to touch because of the coloring.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Jim Keller’s wife is Jordan Peterson’s sister and I have always been afraid to know anything at all about Keller’s views on stuff not chip design related.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Koskun posted:

… EK … der8auer … Jay2cents … Thermalgrizzly …

:ohno:

I am being forced to confront the fact that I have no idea how any of this works anymore.

I used to have a job building and repairing computers for people.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

priznat posted:

Jim Keller’s wife is Jordan Peterson’s sister and I have always been afraid to know anything at all about Keller’s views on stuff not chip design related.

I don't really think you can hold someone's sibling's choice of partner against them. Unless they were the ones that introduced them, I guess.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I know, I just don't wanna find out!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Blue Moonlight posted:

I am being forced to confront the fact that I have no idea how any of this works anymore.

Let me clear all the kids slang up for you grandpa! Thermal grizzly is the slang for hot CPUs. You have to cool them with your EK (pronounced eck!). A der8auer pumps your eck to keep that thermal grizzly under control.

jayz2cents is just some rear end in a top hat youtuber who reviews computer hardware and sometimes tweets racist stuff.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The preceding post was a joke except for the last part.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

gently caress linis

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Blue Moonlight posted:

best way to do custom water cooling is still don't even start

Palladium fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 24, 2024

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I should upgrage my pc but I don’t want to deal with dismantling the custom loop so I don’t

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Palladium posted:

best way to do custom water cooling is still don't even start

Yep, i don't need the anxiety i would get from just thinking about potential water leaks. :ohdear:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I just use a corsair AIO water cooler and it’s very needs suiting. A custom setup would have me checking for leaks every day.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Just Another Lurker posted:

Yep, i don't need the anxiety i would get from just thinking about potential water leaks. :ohdear:

I used to watch chinese dudes repair PC PSUs, mobos and GPUs. almost every single time they fix something that is supposed to be still covered under official warranty is you guess it

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I just use a corsair AIO water cooler and it’s very needs suiting. A custom setup would have me checking for leaks every day.

I just buy a big noctua cooler

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
TBH if you check with a leak tester before filling and use soft tubes with good (not cheapest possible) fittings it is almost impossible to gently caress it up.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

priznat posted:

I watched it and thought most of what Keller had to say about processor design and AI was pretty insightful or at least interesting, but there were a few off-topic statements/opinions that had me somewhat skeptical. Nothing heinous, more just amusing. The one that stands out most was him saying something Elon Musk being an on-the-ground expert on a wide variety of technologies, right after saying how much he loved his two Tesla cars and how he uses FSD daily.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 24, 2024

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

I watched it and thought most of what Keller had to say about processor design and AI was pretty insightful or at least interesting, but there were a few off-topic statements/opinions that had me somewhat skeptical. Nothing heinous, more just amusing. The one that stands out most was him saying something Elon Musk being an on-the-ground expert on a wide variety of technologies, right after saying how much he loved his two Tesla cars and how he uses FSD daily.

Being extremely smart on processor design does not translate to all other topics unfortunately... no matter if they think they do. :shrug:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think if anyone says Musk is an "expert" on multiple technical subjects and not just a figurehead money man I'm comfortable disregarding anything else they say.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In 2024 if you cant see that Musk has zero responsibility for any of the actual technology, design and engineering of the companies he runs, then I dont know what to say.

You'd probably have to go back to the Paypal codebase circa 2008 to find an actual contribution from Musk

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

He contributed to Twitter becoming 100000000% more racist and bigoted

Edit: added more zeroes

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
If you check twitter's code you'll see two commits from Musk:

appName = "X"

do
racism++
loop

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Radium was actually Elon Musk, which explains the load-bearing slurs.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Radium was a much better coder than Musk though.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

In 2024 if you cant see that Musk has zero responsibility for any of the actual technology, design and engineering of the companies he runs, then I dont know what to say.

You'd probably have to go back to the Paypal codebase circa 2008 to find an actual contribution from Musk

???
Cybertrukkk is 100% born of Musk's brain

that's why it's dogshit.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Blue Moonlight posted:

Radium was actually Elon Musk, which explains the load-bearing slurs.

"We don't know what it actually does but if we change the name of the variable to something that's NOT a slur the entire thing crashes"

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Just Another Lurker posted:

The AquaComputer LeakShield works very well at removing that worry: https://shop.aquacomputer.de/Water-Cooling/Leak-testing-prevention/LEAKSHIELD-leak-prevention-system-standalone::4063.html

It's... not cheap, of course. But it works!

Their marketing video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UiRv0nDch0

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slotducks posted:

???
Cybertrukkk is 100% born of Musk's brain

that's why it's dogshit.

Sure, but he didnt put in any work to actually design it and engineer it beyond stealing a model from modnexus for hit 90's arcade racer MegaRace

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Kibner posted:

The AquaComputer LeakShield works very well at removing that worry: https://shop.aquacomputer.de/Water-Cooling/Leak-testing-prevention/LEAKSHIELD-leak-prevention-system-standalone::4063.html

It's... not cheap, of course. But it works!

Their marketing video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UiRv0nDch0

Nice, but my Noctua removes all doubt. :kiddo:

i'm gonna have to remove that marketing video from my YT history.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I am curious if the enthusiast PC building market has grown/shrunk over the past few years, or if it's just my interest in it that has waned. It feels like ultra high-end hardware with custom cooling used to actually make substantial differences in performance of games. Now it seems to be entirely aesthetic based.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I am curious if the enthusiast PC building market has grown/shrunk over the past few years, or if it's just my interest in it that has waned. It feels like ultra high-end hardware with custom cooling used to actually make substantial differences in performance of games. Now it seems to be entirely aesthetic based.

It's hard to really judge, just because the media is always screaming about how PC is the most popular gaming platform these days but chances are less than 20% of that userbase have touched a single screw on their system even if you remove the people who are just playing Fortnite/League/Amogus on their laptop. The plateau is very real though, air coolers have gotten significantly better to the point where you can use one on basically any CPU so the main utility for liquid cooling has become either chasing absolute silent performance or trying to flex the look of your system (or just flexing over having a liquid cooler). I absolutely don't see a point in doing any kind of custom loop stuff unless you're including the GPU in the loop as well though, and that's getting into much more advanced business.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

njsykora posted:

It's hard to really judge, just because the media is always screaming about how PC is the most popular gaming platform these days but chances are less than 20% of that userbase have touched a single screw on their system even if you remove the people who are just playing Fortnite/League/Amogus on their laptop. liquid cooler). I absolutely don't see a point in doing any kind of custom loop stuff unless you're including the GPU in the loop as well though, and that's getting into much more advanced business.

I've always wondered about this, because it clashes so much with my own anecdotal experiences. I find it really hard to believe that there are more people playing on PC - even casually - than consoles. I feel like there must be something going on like what you're describing, where someone who plays a browser based game on their lunch break is counted as a "PC gamer" or something.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Market has definitely shrunk over the last two years, but that's because 2020-21 was a massive boom where market demand was through the roof.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've always wondered about this, because it clashes so much with my own anecdotal experiences. I find it really hard to believe that there are more people playing on PC - even casually - than consoles. I feel like there must be something going on like what you're describing, where someone who plays a browser based game on their lunch break is counted as a "PC gamer" or something.

How many young people do you know? Apparently playing games on PC is way more popular with the youth than consoles.

Didn't see the thing myself but I heard that Phil Spencer was in some talk or interview at GDC and said something along those lines. The console market is not growing anymore, and so MS's exclusives strategy needed to change.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah same, all the FIFA players and others who I know play videogames at work mostly play them on console. The people who are playing stuff on PC are just Fortnite/Apex types most of whom haven't upgraded in 5+ years. It feels the same as mobile gaming where the playerbase is less actively choosing to play games there and its more a case of needing to have the thing anyway (which would account for PC players skewing gradually younger as teenagers needing laptops for school becomes more necessary) and might as well play games on the thing. The console sales decline to me feels less like hard decisions being made by the playerbase over where they want to play and more a case of consoles not having had a mid-gen price drop which has typically been where you really see a console's sales really start to pick up speed.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Steam had over 130 million "average monthly players" in 2021, which i believe counted the number of users who actually launched a game in any given month. Steam hasn't given any updates to this number since then, but their other metrics have shown that Steam has been growing rapidly for the last few years. The vast majority of these are going to be casual games, competitive multiplayer games, and flavor-of-the-month indie games.

Klyith posted:

Market has definitely shrunk over the last two years, but that's because 2020-21 was a massive boom where market demand was through the roof.

Steam's still been growing, according to Valve. This is from their 2022 year in review:

It's just been growing and growing, and I don't doubt this was true for 2023 too (though they didn't release any info for that year that I can find).

Jon Peddie Research also says that dedicated graphics card shipments have been on the rise lately and are expected to continue to grow.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 24, 2024