Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Steve's methodology and rigor are miles above the competition and I trust his results completely. I'm glad he has a website where he posts all his results because I cannot stand watching more than a few minutes of any of his videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I think Steve himself is on record as agreeing that charts are better on the website. He's fun to watch when he's mad at some industry bullshit though

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

TheOneVader posted:

Honestly, it's refreshing. I feel like I hand waved away all of the sketchy sponsorship bullshit that Linus did but now I just see how gross it was. To use a sponsor's money to do dumb poo poo is fine, but to turn around and review that same company's products and try to be some bastion of tech review journalism is just not possible.

I'll never forget once watching WAN Show and someone called out a review for being sponsored by the product he was reviewing. Linus defended it and said clearly that wasn't a review, it was a product showcase. And you know, he made me feel dumb for not getting that. I thought to myself oh duh, yeah that's fine because it's not a review it's an unboxing basically. But gently caress that, that's not true at all! Of course people think it's a review. You can't just call it something else, put it alongside your "real reviews" and say there's nothing wrong. You just can't have it both ways.
Linus would constantly re-word criticism to make it sound like a positive (probably still does) to himself. The title of this sub-forum is probably his biggest example. He didn't sell a prototype cpu cooler, he auctioned it remember.

What made his re-wording worse is the attitude of "no, I'm right, you're wrong, end of discussion". Even the recording of the company meeting after the Maddison allegations (pre GN video, but came out publicly after) show how he tries to spin everything so his poo poo doesn't stink, and no blame falls to him.

I do wonder if Youtube themselves tweaked the algorithm in regards to LTT's channels after everything blew up. I never sub'd to any of their channels, and I think I only "Do not recommend this channel" selected on the main one, but I don't get any suggestions for any of the channels since their self-imposed 2 week hiatus. I didn't even see their "apology" video on my main page anywhere. In the GN video Steve said that LTT has the capability to upload videos in a way that no other channel has (or will admit to), and it made me think that perhaps Youtube didn't want that to get out, so they did a bit of sweeping around themselves as a preventative measure.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

"Do not recommend this channel" / unsubscribe / "I'm not interested in this" are pretty powerful. Some folks here and there say their stuff come back sometimes but for myself and others, those buttons just completely glass that poo poo for months and months. They only come back if you start watching other channels' vids that mention them or something. I remember the first time this happened was unsubbing game grumps many years ago and all of the channels, fan vids, fan compilations, animated etc just completely snapped out of existence and never came back unless I searched for something old.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

"Do not recommend this channel" / unsubscribe / "I'm not interested in this" are pretty powerful. Some folks here and there say their stuff come back sometimes but for myself and others, those buttons just completely glass that poo poo for months and months. They only come back if you start watching other channels' vids that mention them or something. I remember the first time this happened was unsubbing game grumps many years ago and all of the channels, fan vids, fan compilations, animated etc just completely snapped out of existence and never came back unless I searched for something old.

The blocktube addon for firefox just stops you from seeing a channel completely, without affecting your algo, I've found a few to block with it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Koskun posted:

Linus would constantly re-word criticism to make it sound like a positive (probably still does) to himself. The title of this sub-forum is probably his biggest example. He didn't sell a prototype cpu cooler, he auctioned it remember.

What made his re-wording worse is the attitude of "no, I'm right, you're wrong, end of discussion". Even the recording of the company meeting after the Maddison allegations (pre GN video, but came out publicly after) show how he tries to spin everything so his poo poo doesn't stink, and no blame falls to him.

I do wonder if Youtube themselves tweaked the algorithm in regards to LTT's channels after everything blew up. I never sub'd to any of their channels, and I think I only "Do not recommend this channel" selected on the main one, but I don't get any suggestions for any of the channels since their self-imposed 2 week hiatus. I didn't even see their "apology" video on my main page anywhere. In the GN video Steve said that LTT has the capability to upload videos in a way that no other channel has (or will admit to), and it made me think that perhaps Youtube didn't want that to get out, so they did a bit of sweeping around themselves as a preventative measure.

Apparently LTT has a “replace video” option that works differently to other channels - iirc it’s seamless and doesn’t disturb the viewer counts or other starts.

They also have a more lucrative ad deal due to some caveat.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

well why not posted:

Apparently LTT has a “replace video” option that works differently to other channels - iirc it’s seamless and doesn’t disturb the viewer counts or other starts.

They also have a more lucrative ad deal due to some caveat.

The ability to replace a video over an old video has been around for awhile, but only for very prominent established accounts, most likely accounts that are large enough that they trust to not abuse it in a way that would affect revenue for everyone.

Here's an article from 2018 about it, where it's mentioned that Apple is another one of the accounts that can replace a video without changing URL or stats or anything:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/insidetech/youtube-lets-some-users-fix-videos-without-changing-the-url/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
this is sort of a dumb question: you have something like the Playstation, where plugging headphones into the 3.5mm jack works just fine, but they've locked wireless connectivity behind proprietary Sony headsets

or the Switch, which did not support Bluetooth audio until months (years?) after its initial release

is it not possible to have a device that plugs into a 3.5mm jack, and makes the source think that it's a regular old pair of wired headphones, but it takes the audio input and broadcasts it over Bluetooth, and it's this device that connects to your Bluetooth headset? I can't possibly be the first person to have ever thought of this.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is sort of a dumb question: you have something like the Playstation, where plugging headphones into the 3.5mm jack works just fine, but they've locked wireless connectivity behind proprietary Sony headsets

or the Switch, which did not support Bluetooth audio until months (years?) after its initial release

is it not possible to have a device that plugs into a 3.5mm jack, and makes the source think that it's a regular old pair of wired headphones, but it takes the audio input and broadcasts it over Bluetooth, and it's this device that connects to your Bluetooth headset? I can't possibly be the first person to have ever thought of this.

Yes, it's a thing. I've most often seen it advertised as an adapter for old or super old cars that have aux in but no native Bluetooth connection. Since there's no higher level communication for the 3.5mm audio connection besides "is there a jack there" you can't easily block it in software.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Those things do exist, the issue is they introduce ungodly latency even above the normal bluetooth that people find too bad for movies so it's absolutely not good enough for games. Also I'm pretty sure the "Playstation Audio Interface" is just 2.4ghz since those dongles work out the box on PC as well without any additional drivers. Also a bunch of other companies like Logitech make regular 2.4ghz headsets that work with the PS5.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Car audio usually has it going the other way.

gradenko_2000 posted:

but you can find a transmitter/reciver.

https://www.amazon.ca/UGREEN-Transmitter-Simultaneously-Compatible-Headphones/dp/B08TQSH636/

Wow everyone is so helpful

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

Those things do exist, the issue is they introduce ungodly latency even above the normal bluetooth that people find too bad for movies so it's absolutely not good enough for games.

ah ha, that makes sense

thanks everyone

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

These do exist, but if you care about audio quality you're better off using a USB Bluetooth transmitter instead. As long as it's UAC1 it'll work with the PS5.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

We need to reinvent gods so that they can all come arrest HP, because they have commited not just crimes and felonies like the title suggests, but actual sins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssob-7sGVWs

finally caught up to this and it's nice that he manages to describe the Tendency of the Rate of Profit to Fall in a quick two minutes at around 45:00

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Andrea with some info on the latest Linux vulnerability

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFbRUj23nrE

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
You know, I try to be more gracious than most to these people, even though they're the ones going through the effort to document their idiocy for fun and profit... But it seems like with every video, this dude irritates me more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O430oHym_Io

The amount of Dunning-Kruger rays that just radiate off of him sometimes.

Oh, we just scribble all over the scuff with a Sharpie! Much better!!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone who’s got the subway shooter on as a guest is…..not too smart

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

You know, I try to be more gracious than most to these people, even though they're the ones going through the effort to document their idiocy for fun and profit... But it seems like with every video, this dude irritates me more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O430oHym_Io

The amount of Dunning-Kruger rays that just radiate off of him sometimes.

Oh, we just scribble all over the scuff with a Sharpie! Much better!!!

is there a better option for cleaning up little scuffs on melamine coats? i've seen other people use sharpie for covering up small nicks on various things they're restoring, like old big box games they're restoring the boxes of. it's not perfect of course, but i don't know how much work it is to redo a melamine coat across an entire side of the cabinet.

I watched the entire video and nothing else seemed super objectionable except they should have replaced the "battery" (comment says it's actually a capacitor) and there's a different comment saying the monitors hook up weird, but apparently that got fixed off camera as well. is it as good as the stuff arcade archive, heber and rmc the cave do together? no, but it's not horrible. it's not "david murray ruins 3 priceless ibms" bad.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Anyone who’s got the subway shooter on as a guest is…..not too smart

he's not a guest. that's 8bitguy's new channel. he's starting an arcade with his brother or someone.

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..
Watch RMCs videos on restoring a Sega Mega-Tech arcade machine instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ6A9IH2bGQ

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Harminoff posted:

Andrea with some info on the latest Linux vulnerability

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFbRUj23nrE

:wtf: I couldn't get through that, is it a meme?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

priznat posted:

I feel that MKHB is a good counterpoint to LTT, both are kind of compromised review wise but I enjoy watching the occasional MKHB video because he comes off as a thoughtful person with some decent points on devices and their designs and usability etc. Whereas Linus just seems like an annoying dipshit.

IDK, even knowing that he’s basically the tech review equivalent of a GQ “review” I’ve been put off by his recent cybertruck content.

Like I get it, this is a guy who’s so safe for corporations that he got literally Tim Cook on his channel one time, but his doggedness to not ever even obliquely wave at elephant in the room WRT Elon and just be like “cybertruck gets 75% thumbs up 25% thumbs down on the street, everybody loves it” (lol yeah right) leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Same with Doug DeMuro. Stop saying it’s loving “undeniably cool,” out in the real world nobody thinks the rusting nazi pentagon is cool and they never will.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I saw a cybertruck on the road a few weeks ago and they really look goofy as hell in real life. The proportions are all wrong.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I saw a cybertruck on the road a few weeks ago and they really look goofy as hell in real life. The proportions are all wrong.

Wait until you see one up close. You think all the mocking on the Internet is picking and choosing to make it look bad, but no. It is a tremendously poorly-built thing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It looks like a fake vehicle body hiding another vehicle inside

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It looks like an N64 truck

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I could tell just by passing one on the road that those stainless body panels are NOT flat at all. They are wavy as hell, which is why no one else makes cars that look like the cybertruck

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

It looks like a fake vehicle body hiding another vehicle inside

lol this. it’s like a camouflaged preproduction car

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Every cybertruck is just 3 Priuses in a trenchcoat

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
lol the Prius is pretty now, watch your mouth

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buddy, the Prius has always been good

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
yes, but now it’s pretty. and also the new prime is legit fast

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

trilobite terror posted:

yes, but now it’s pretty. and also the new prime is legit fast

it's as fast as a civic Si, gets 50 MPG and 40 miles of pure electric range

forget EVs this is what cars should be

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

trilobite terror posted:

IDK, even knowing that he’s basically the tech review equivalent of a GQ “review” I’ve been put off by his recent cybertruck content.

Like I get it, this is a guy who’s so safe for corporations that he got literally Tim Cook on his channel one time, but his doggedness to not ever even obliquely wave at elephant in the room WRT Elon and just be like “cybertruck gets 75% thumbs up 25% thumbs down on the street, everybody loves it” (lol yeah right) leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Same with Doug DeMuro. Stop saying it’s loving “undeniably cool,” out in the real world nobody thinks the rusting nazi pentagon is cool and they never will.

I honestly stopped paying attention to what the car reviewers say and it’s more just what they can show of the car and what it does, features etc. I kind of get why all these reviewers like the cybertruck, because they review dozens of cars that are mostly the same and it really stands out as capital D Different for better or much worse. They still point out a lot of bad things (the throttle house guys had a lot of issues with it) but at the end of the day it’s something new and interesting to them after a sea of the same old stuff.

Also Doug Demuro is definitely NOT cool so I would never take his opinion on that lol. I just like the footage of him pointing at stuff in a car so I can know if I’d be interested to take a look, basically.

Actually I wonder how a channel would do that was just no commentary footage of the cars going thru them then driving them. Like TopherDrives but no audio. Although he’s pretty good overall.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah the fun of DeMuro videos is him getting access to weird obscure cars and nothing else. If you like that breathless "enthusiastic about everything" presenting style then he's got that going as well, I guess.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SquashBionic/status/1776085853804413035

lol lmao

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Warms my heart to see someone fall for a "photo of a screen in a dark room" fake leak in 2024.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...

trilobite terror posted:

Is that true, though? I think the general public who isn't terminally online like us just doesn't follow what's going on with Elon. And even if something is impractical and they'd never buy one, people would get a kick out of seeing one.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Car reviewers have the same deal as tech reviewers where they don’t actually have to live with the things they review so they can only really review at a superficial level. Doug will occasionally do reviews of cars he’s owned which is great if you’re in the market for an old Land Rover I guess.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tiny Timbs posted:

Car reviewers have the same deal as tech reviewers where they don’t actually have to live with the things they review so they can only really review at a superficial level. Doug will occasionally do reviews of cars he’s owned which is great if you’re in the market for an old Land Rover I guess.
There are some that do long-term reviews, they actually go and buy the cars themselves and then have writers drive them for a year or something. It's way more useful information that the "I drove it for an hour around the manufacturer's luxury resort in Italy" type of reviews.

Not sure if Edmunds and Car & Driver are still doing them but e.g.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a23145269/alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-reliability-update/

You can't really extrapolate reliability from a sample one one but still they give you great information on what it's like to actually live with the cars. Anything else is imo mostly just entertainment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yah this 100%, but even the cars that they own reviews are not super objective because they usually own a bunch of cars so can forgive one car’s shortcomings more easily.