Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm kinda of the opposite opinion, handhelds are meh but GN seems like as good a place as any to review them as any? Why do you think they wouldn't do a good job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Its strange, in my view the Switch is God's perfect console and I love mine, but I have negative interest in handheld PC gaming and think it's dumb. No, I can't explain it and will take no questions.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm kinda of the opposite opinion, handhelds are meh but GN seems like as good a place as any to review them as any? Why do you think they wouldn't do a good job?

No they do a great job it just takes them significantly longer to put out videos.

Most people seem to want day 1 to week 1 impressions and reviews.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah people want the review in that first week when they're actually thinking of laying down the cash. It took them months to get their review of the OLED Deck out and by that point what are you really adding for people?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

njsykora posted:

Yeah people want the review in that first week when they're actually thinking of laying down the cash. It took them months to get their review of the OLED Deck out and by that point what are you really adding for people?

Not everyone buys hardware day 1. I didn't end up upgrading from a regular to an OLED, but the review was still useful for me to have some firm comparisons and a better idea of how much of an upgrade it would be.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is anyone subbed to Tim Roger’s patreon? What’s he up to? I need a new 7 hour long video from him because I’ve watched the rest of them

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Martian Manfucker posted:

Its strange, in my view the Switch is God's perfect console and I love mine, but I have negative interest in handheld PC gaming and think it's dumb. No, I can't explain it and will take no questions.

well get ready because Microsoft is definitely interested in that space

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Martian Manfucker posted:

This was me until I saw the steam deck oled get reviewed on digital foundry. Never ever thought I would get a steam deck, but the oled model had me buy it on the spot and I love it :unsmith:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

trilobite terror posted:

well get ready because Microsoft is definitely interested in that space

Im selfishly hoping Linux based gaming systems remain dominant because it’s been so nice ditching windows entirely. Microsoft seems hellbent on enshittifying the OS with “improvements” the same way that a free app late in its life cycle is squeezing their users for every last ad impression/cent/internal KPI does.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

He’s like the 3rd dude I’ve seen this week review the thing lol.

he comments on that at the beginning and why he's still doing it (hint: he thinks it's good and everyone else is missing out on why, which is a pretty gravis take)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

TwoDice posted:

people take pictures with the sun in them with their phones all the time, it's fine

This got missed in all the puns, we had a partial last year and everyone was taking a photo of it (and failing.)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Arivia posted:

he comments on that at the beginning and why he's still doing it (hint: he thinks it's good and everyone else is missing out on why, which is a pretty gravis take)

Dude does seem to fall in nerd love with certain kinds of technological trash. If you ask me this machine was just an overpriced and awkwardly huge laptop that doubled as a bad TV and TiVO. Not too hard to understand why it failed - people don't like spending lots of money on products that try to do too many things and as a result do all of them poorly - but man did he ever spend a minute rambling about how it was actually a prestige/concept car type project that could've worked if only it was marketed better.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It doesn't seem like it did those things badly though? Today sure with a bunch of the signals it relies upon disabled but nothing he showed looked like it wasn't working as I'd expect a machine of that era to work.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BobHoward posted:

Dude does seem to fall in nerd love with certain kinds of technological trash. If you ask me this machine was just an overpriced and awkwardly huge laptop that doubled as a bad TV and TiVO. Not too hard to understand why it failed - people don't like spending lots of money on products that try to do too many things and as a result do all of them poorly - but man did he ever spend a minute rambling about how it was actually a prestige/concept car type project that could've worked if only it was marketed better.

I’m not finished the video yet but I’ve watched two of the three videos Gravis showed at the beginning as examples of recent reviews of the same machine and neither of them even mentioned the remote control. He’s on a whole other level from the other YouTube coverage of it.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
My main reason for not being interested in handheld PC gaming is that I spend 80% of my PC time browsing the internet anyway and I can just use my phone for that if I'm not at my desk. And when I do play Games it's 95% genres that really want m+kb like RTS/4x (Total War these days), card games like Slay the Spire or Magic, CRPGS, etc. And the few games I do dig up a controller it's usually for big splashy games like Elden Eing - of course I want to play it on a big screen.

I do pay some puzzle games and it would be nice for those but again, they are so low-req that my aging S20 can already play them, and rarely require the precision of dedicated buttons like handhelds have.

Unsurprising that they are gaining popularity in general though.

E I anticipate my stance on card games to be controversial but I stand by it - gently caress touchscreens for that poo poo. Touchscreens have only impressed me for puzzlers - picross on the 3DS with the stylus is easily the best way I've found to play it.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 9, 2024

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

This got missed in all the puns, we had a partial last year and everyone was taking a photo of it (and failing.)

yeah it won't be a good photo but it's not going to melt your phone

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Have kind of a niche youtube question if anyone knows... I pay for youtube premium and doing so gives you access to something called "1080p Premium" which just has a higher bitrate for the resolution and doesn't give you any more information.

I'm just curious, has anyone used that feature and found that it helped vs the base 1080p? I have good equipment and pretty good eyes and feel like I can rarely if ever tell? But I also don't think of comparing it a lot.

Anyways that's my question: if you have access to 1080p Premium, do you notice a difference, and if so, when? As tech-centric youtube people I assume if anyone would know about this it would be yall.

Frankly I am a little surprised, because for years the groupthink opinion was that 1080p on Youtube has been heavily messed up by the bitrate limits, and if we could just get a higher bitrate, it would look better. I just don't see it, yet, but I want to.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

my understanding is that it is genuinely higher bitrate than non-premium 1080p but in upwards of 90% of videos it's not enough of a difference to meaningfully matter.

Basically it has to be both filmed in the right way to matter, but also not originally be be in 4k+ because at that point mechanically it's enough overboard that the difference stops mattering

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

There are tons of factors like original bitrate and codec the camera filmed at, the bitrate and codec the video was compressed to before being uploaded to youtube which does its own codec and bitrate encoding.

Youtubers who film on iPhones in 1080p and upload in 1080p probably aren't getting as much of an impact from 1080p Premium as youtubers who film on black magic pocket 6k's and upload in 4k. Anecdotally, Before 1080p premium if you wanted your 1080p to look good you uploaded a 4k video so youtube would compress the higher bitrate/resolution down as opposed to doing that to a 1080 file with lower bitrate.

I'm unaware if youtube keeps the original file uploaded around to recompress to new codecs (the push to AV1 for example) or if they're just recompressing what they've already recompressed. My guess is that new videos uploaded in 4k will see the best results from 1080p premium, followed by people who upload in 1080p but at high a higher bitrate compared to someone who shoots and edits on their phone.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

HKR posted:

I'm unaware if youtube keeps the original file uploaded around to recompress to new codecs (the push to AV1 for example) or if they're just recompressing what they've already recompressed. My guess is that new videos uploaded in 4k will see the best results from 1080p premium, followed by people who upload in 1080p but at high a higher bitrate compared to someone who shoots and edits on their phone.

Only youtube gaming and certain high profile lives used to keep the originals, the rest gets an high bitrate vp9 and av1 from the master video with the master video discarded after the various resizes variants are made (new codecs uses the highest bitrate with the better compression to re-encode). I think nowadays the master isn't kept in any current youtube video option.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Find a video with confetti/bubbling water/colour explosion. That's where it's going to be the biggest difference. Stuff like that always shits the bed at streaming bitrates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtYKDamqo2I

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Reminds me of the video MKBHD made of reuploading a YouTube video over and over to see what the compression does to it despite it being 1080p or something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

Find a video with confetti/bubbling water/colour explosion. That's where it's going to be the biggest difference. Stuff like that always shits the bed at streaming bitrates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtYKDamqo2I

doom videos of fireblu levels

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Taima posted:

Anyways that's my question: if you have access to 1080p Premium, do you notice a difference, and if so, when? As tech-centric youtube people I assume if anyone would know about this it would be yall.

As far as I know, every editing program has export presets, some explicitly for YouTube to keep file size down. I wouldn't be surprised is a lot of videos are basically already at YouTube's previous maximum.

So, even if the famous YouTube compression isn't hitting as hard, you're only going to see marginal improvements on a huge swath of videos.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

doom videos of fireblu levels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OhNgAKqvl0

I don't think there's any doomtuber who's popular enough/uploads at a big enough quality for the 1080p premium to be an option, but honestly this looks pretty alright. (and by doomtuber i mean people who play lots of WADs, not just boomer shooter youtubers who cover doom, final doom, and maybe sigil 1 & 2)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

(and by doomtuber i mean people who play lots of WADs, not just boomer shooter youtubers who cover doom, final doom, and maybe sigil 1 & 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNfxg86Loww

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

if you see them play doom with anti aliasing you know they’re a fraud

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

truecolor software rendering ftw

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

that's a 4k upload. i don't see the 1080p premium option, and i'm a youtube premium subscriber.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Kazinsal posted:

truecolor software rendering ftw

Doom's look really depends on the built-in colormap to look right, including the desaturation in the light falloff. If distant dark objects aren't like 1-bit approximations made out of black and dark grey pixels, it ain't right

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Volte posted:

Doom's look really depends on the built-in colormap to look right, including the desaturation in the light falloff. If distant dark objects aren't like 1-bit approximations made out of black and dark grey pixels, it ain't right

E1M2's dark maze just looks wrong in OpenGL mode

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

njsykora posted:

It doesn't seem like it did those things badly though? Today sure with a bunch of the signals it relies upon disabled but nothing he showed looked like it wasn't working as I'd expect a machine of that era to work.

Arivia posted:

I’m not finished the video yet but I’ve watched two of the three videos Gravis showed at the beginning as examples of recent reviews of the same machine and neither of them even mentioned the remote control. He’s on a whole other level from the other YouTube coverage of it.

What I was trying to say is that Gravis' love for details like the remote seem to have blinded him to how unappealing the whole was. If you wanted a ~20" LCD TV, DVR, DVD player, or Windows laptop computer in 2006, great standalone devices were available. People didn't want all these things mashed into a single oversized Homerlaptop, especially when many of the features were arguably worse than the standalone alternatives.

While I'm being a grump, another annoying ramble in that video was all his naive theorycrafting about it being a concept car for Dell executives to brag about at company parties, and if only they'd been more dedicated to marketing and promoting it, maybe it coulda been a contender??? This was just a terrible analogy. Concept cars are typically hand-built one-offs created by the artistic side of the company, not engineering or manufacturing. They're often barely functional as cars, because they don't have to be anything other than pretty. This Dell, though, was a production machine. Some of the details Gravis showed prove it - those magnesium case components were probably made with a metal injection molding process, and that means some tool and die machinists got paid to make very expensive molds. Same goes for all the custom plastic parts. They invested a bunch in production tooling, and probably didn't make it back.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
let's check in on what one of the most popular tech youtuber sponsors are up t-

https://twitter.com/dbrand/status/1777823124479734097

:wtfdude:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

kliras posted:

Elons twitter

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Thanks yall I really appreciate the explanation re: youtube premium 1080p, :cheers:

I've been trying to find a video where it makes a difference and will report back if that happens. It's not the reason I sub to Youtube Premium or anything, so if it ends up being a lame feature in practice, that's fine. Honestly, just the ability to play youtube videos while the phone screen is off is enough to qualify the purchase for me.

I pay for a family subscription and have friends and family added onto it as some kind of community service lol

That DBrand thing is wild by the way. I work in silicon valley tech marketing (sorry, I know) and it's completely bewildering how something like that would be ok. Is that normal for Twitter these days? Or is this something the brand does as a marketing tactic? Very confusing. If someone posted anything 1% as weird on the twitters of companies I've worked for they would have been ejected out of the office and directly into the sun.

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 10, 2024

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Taima posted:

Thanks yall I really appreciate the explanation re: youtube premium 1080p, :cheers:

I've been trying to find a video where it makes a difference and will report back if that happens. It's not the reason I sub to Youtube Premium or anything, so if it ends up being a lame feature in practice, that's fine. Honestly, just the ability to play youtube videos while the phone screen is off is enough to qualify the purchase for me.

I pay for a family subscription and have friends and family added onto it as some kind of community service lol

I'd mention NewPipe as a YouTube client for the phone that lets you do that, but I'm not sure how it deals with subscriptions or other people on there.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://youtu.be/nwtPrG14uQk?si=3355en3mHD0LvcXw

Measuring Coil Whine with frickin lazer beams.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

kliras posted:

Well, now I'm happy I never gave any money to dbrand. Jesus Christ that's just bad customer service.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Taima posted:

That DBrand thing is wild by the way. I work in silicon valley tech marketing (sorry, I know) and it's completely bewildering how something like that would be ok. Is that normal for Twitter these days? Or is this something the brand does as a marketing tactic? Very confusing. If someone posted anything 1% as weird on the twitters of companies I've worked for they would have been ejected out of the office and directly into the sun.
afaict they separate their branded @dbrand account from the cs account @robot, and i think ripping their customers is part of their "cute brand" gimmick

but i still don't think the people in charge of the account understood the assignment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Brands pretending to be people is pretty far up there for things that probably wouldn’t be happening except as a product of end-stage terminal capitalism.