Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A7cykj0pCg

Part 2 of the EK deconstruction by GN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

This is gonna be real good. :munch:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Intimidation, threatening contractors, possible financial crimes and a racist company culture now this is the real meaty stuff.

E: I am very bothered by them always saying they used machine translation, especially in a video where you've bragged about how much you've spent on it. It gives off the impression that you're willing to spend money on multiple lawyers, investigators and even a remote camera operator for b-roll but you weren't willing to pay a professional translator to make sure you're giving an accurate representation of legal documents.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 28, 2024

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
This video is far more juicier than the last one, it's a more comprehensive article that won't make you sleepy as the original ek attack vid.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
40,000 . Jesus.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
they sure weren't burying the lede in this video :catstare:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Man he needs an editor.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

apatheticman posted:

Man he needs an editor.

I really don't see how it isn't edited properly when this entity, Gamer's Nexus, isn't a huge news corp reporting on all of this. They do this on their own because they feel it's newsworthy and put things into as much detail as possible to make sure facts are not misconstrued or manipulated in anyway.

News, print, radio, television,USED to take their time in reporting things. The only other program that I could compare something like this would be Frontline which is INCREDIBLY dense and thorough in reporting, but also has way more cash reserves to do their in-depth pieces.

Steve wanting to get people that were laid off, and or soon to be laid off employed is really loving cool.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 28, 2024

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

apatheticman posted:

Man he needs an editor.

Sorry it rubs you up the wrong way, that's always been his style. :shrug:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Just Another Lurker posted:

Sorry it rubs you up the wrong way, that's always been his style. :shrug:

Correct. He's always needed an editor.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

1 hour? drat they need to cut that down

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
if MKBHD is the Philip DeFranco of tech reviewers then what is GN?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

trilobite terror posted:

if MKBHD is the Philip DeFranco of tech reviewers then what is GN?

Tech Jesus, always has been. :colbert:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Just Another Lurker posted:

Tech Jesus, always has been. :colbert:

IDK, I don’t really see the resemblance beyond the long hair :thunk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkIFrw_D5Zw

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

MarcusSA posted:

1 hour? drat they need to cut that down

Hahahahhahhahhahahhahhaha

I just watched a 3 hour HBomberguy video on plagiarism and loved every minute of it.

Sorry it’s not TikTok

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

go watch an 8 hour video about making good posts

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

namlosh posted:

I just watched a 3 hour HBomberguy video on plagiarism and loved every minute of it.

It's okay, you're in a safe space now. HBomberguy can no longer hurt you.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

namlosh posted:

Sorry it’s not TikTok

Yes I watched the same video and it was also way too long.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
hey at least it's not an eight hour video about Bomberman featuring a mic that sounds like it came with a 2004 webcam

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Length by itself isn't the problem. You can make great long-form video content. Some of GN's longer videos can be pretty low on information density though, to the point where it sometimes makes it more difficult to follow.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Steve's also prone to repeating himself, which was a problem with the first video.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
GN uses those progress bars that show you how long a chart segment will be, for people that want to skip. I know they're doing it for the viewers convenience, and I give them kudos for that, but the very fact that they feel the need to put progress bars on their charts should tell them that TOO MANY/TOO LONG CHARTS.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ve never even heard of the company Steve is going after. Are they popular?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Tiny Timbs posted:

they're basically the go-to "fancy" custom watercooling company. their waterblocks and distros look really good (when people don't break the acrylic by screwing too tightly to mount them)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

They're one of the big names among water cooling freaks who build custom loops. They come up in GN hardware news videos pretty often since they put out custom water blocks for GPUs and CPUs whenever new ones are released. Here's a hardware news from 2022 where they were announcing their gold plated water blocks by insisting they weren't a sham.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxgl0AxqXr0&t=828s

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
What people have already said, BUT they are also the LARGEST water-cooling company in the world for large-scale business/server cooling. The home PC enthusiast space is supposedly a pretty small sector of their overall business.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

namlosh posted:

Sorry it’s not TikTok

lol, I’ve watched Tim Rogers’ Action Button review of Cyberpunk 2077, thats so long it’s 8 separate videos, multiple times in its entirely. GN videos are child’s play when it comes to length.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

namlosh posted:

Sorry it’s not TikTok

You can make a 1 hour video engaging, you can make a 3 hour video engaging.

He did not make that video engaging (GN, not Hbomberguy)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok that explains why. I’ve never once looked into anything to do with the water cooling world so it just missed me.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Steve has always had a style and a lot of people don't like it but a lot of people do. He's being thorough and not pandering to sensationalism. He's always made it clear that his channel is not intended to be an entertainment channel. I found his video to be engaging. He's usually extremely dry and I could see why a lot of people would not be interested in that, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tuxedo Gin posted:

He's being thorough and not pandering to sensationalism.

Ehhh, not always the case with his thumbnail/title choices

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

an hour to break down how a company literally threatened people, violated the law, didn't pay what they owed, etc, seems a lot more reasonable than 3 hours on some youtube bullshit

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I wonder how many of the people harping about GN's thorough tech journalism are the same people who still watch LTT.

It's fast paced and Linus drops stuff! Haha it never gets old!

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

You're not an anti-intellectual if you bring forward the lightest possible criticism of GN. It's possible for it to be good journalism while still needing an editing pass.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I really like GN but they really do have two problems for me: they absolutely sometimes break their arm patting themselves on the back and they don't understand corporate activity and the laws around that activity well enough to be talking about it as much as they want to. It's the most Gamer part of GN, the part that speaks confidently about under-researched stuff. Otherwise, they're great, and I'm happy to give them money for all the other good stuff they do.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
People like what they like and I prefer not to place labels on people based on which tech videos they watch but you can drive a cargo barge between where GN and LMG sit on the spectrum of content. Plenty of people can find some of the longer GN videos boring while being very technically literate.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

GNs videos have two problems:

Steve repeats himself a lot

The videos are often written in a way where points don't flow well into each other, usually due to the repeating

The videos are incredibly well researched, the methodology is second to none, but the writing and the presentation take a back seat and the videos suffer. Other creators who write long, well researched videos like hbomberguy, Folding Ideas and Action Button also know how to present their videos in a narratively engaging way.

This is all okay when you're just going over benchmarks, but when you're trying to tell a story that isn't just an info dump of hard data you gotta present it different. I had the same complaints with GNs videos about the last days of Kingpin at EVGA and his investigative video into the small time computer manufacturer that went belly up a couple years ago.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

GN uses those progress bars that show you how long a chart segment will be, for people that want to skip. I know they're doing it for the viewers convenience, and I give them kudos for that, but the very fact that they feel the need to put progress bars on their charts should tell them that TOO MANY/TOO LONG CHARTS.

Youtube has started doing the segments automatically. I upped a video of a 3d print going on, and I saw "segmenting video" when it was processing it. I think I've uploaded 3 videos my entire life, all under a minute in length.

Though I'm sure there are options to customize the segments, rather than just relying on whatever code/"AI" Youtube has doing the initial segmenting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Koskun posted:

Youtube has started doing the segments automatically. I upped a video of a 3d print going on, and I saw "segmenting video" when it was processing it. I think I've uploaded 3 videos my entire life, all under a minute in length.

Though I'm sure there are options to customize the segments, rather than just relying on whatever code/"AI" Youtube has doing the initial segmenting.

No, the bars in the video on the sides of the chart, not the chapters.