Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ablative posted:

No, the bars in the video on the sides of the chart, not the chapters.

I think that's just a legacy thing in their editing flow from before Youtube chapters were a thing, because those make skipping around a benchmark video to see the bits you're interested in much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

1 hour? drat they need to cut that down

apatheticman posted:

Man he needs an editor.

Look at these shameful admissions of not watching Tim Rogers videos

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

tim rogers' videos are much better paced than GN's videos.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

tim rogers' videos are much better paced than GN's videos.

Kinda wild how this is true even with Tim doing at least three 45+ minute barely tangentially related wandering sidebars per episode

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Folding Ideas is great for pacing I find, they’re often long videos but they don’t feel long. Dan does a great job on the writing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Dan Olson is a real-deal documentarian, like from the old school

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

trilobite terror posted:

Dan Olson is a real-deal documentarian, like from the old school

Yeah he does remind me of guys like James Burke from that Connections show sometimes, which is pretty high praise.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's okay, you're in a safe space now. HBomberguy can no longer hurt you.
Well, he doesn't post in SHSC, so maybe?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

priznat posted:

Folding Ideas is great for pacing I find, they’re often long videos but they don’t feel long. Dan does a great job on the writing.

I would chalk that up to Dan having a tech degree in film making and I assume real editing experience. But yeah his stuff is real good.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

MarcusSA posted:

1 hour? drat they need to cut that down

It needs to be 1min or less so I can tiktok repost it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

wargames posted:

It needs to be 1min or less so I can tiktok repost it.

Just repost 30 random seconds from it at the top of the screen and random GTA footage at the bottom. Boom, millions of views.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've watched SovietWomble's three-hour video on The Forest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUWg905fGTA

and Noah Caldwell-Gervais's nine-hour epic on the Fallout series (very topical nowadays!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7FLCg4KdyE

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
IMO, here’s a concrete example of what some folks are getting at:

Gamers Nexus posted:

But there’s one other name that caught us off guard, and that we weren’t expecting: Kathryn Silberstein. We brought you this video with our brand new, limited edition cyber skeleton foil t-shirt that we just posted on store.gamersnexus.net…

It was so abrupt that I genuinely thought my Adblock had hiccuped. There was no pause or break in cadence - it was the YouTuber editing equivalent of that time where someone on BSG shot themselves and it cut to a commercial of tomato soup.

And on top of that, instead of following up the ad block with something to reconnect with viewers like “Kat Silberstein presided over some extreme failures in leadership,” then describing them, there was more than seven minutes talking about seemingly unrelated topics, until we get to “Kat Silberstein would have still been CEO at the time…” Then, the video drops that line of discussion (that they actually had the receipts for) to basically say “it probably happened because she was too busy vacationing and schmoozing” after IG stalking her.

I get that for most, YouTube is a platform where you basically have to keep producing or die, and the news cycle moves on quickly, and I think GN is operating from a genuine position of good faith on trying to be the voice for some victimized employees. I especially liked that they talked with actual legal and financial professionals, and have set up opportunities for those affected to speak to them too.

But all of that deserves going beyond the “house style,” and not by flying a drone somewhere.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

Just repost 30 random seconds from it at the top of the screen and random GTA footage at the bottom. Boom, millions of views.

Add the taco bell sound and the guy saying "bruh" whenever they show corporate wrongdoings.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Somebody send this to Linus

https://gsaauctions.gov/auctions/preview/282996

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Sweet new home server he can use it to heat his pool or whatever

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I legitimately want to see this idiot buy a multi-million dollar super computer that has failing cooling couplers. I’m sure he can zip tie them together so the specialized coolant it uses doesn’t leak out too fast.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

He’ll just fill it with water he pumps out of the muddy Fraser river.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

$10,000 in electricity just to get the thing to post

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

lmao I'm picturing different tech youtube channels buying and attempting to make use of it

wait.....what if we ran the forums on it? The Cheyenne Goonercomputer

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

trilobite terror posted:

lmao I'm picturing different tech youtube channels buying and attempting to make use of it

I think that means something else these days

I’ll pitch :10bux: for the goonputer

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

trilobite terror posted:

8 bit guy shows up with his Volt, insists he can fit it in there, then just jams a paperclip in it somewhere and it explodes

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
lol it’s an SGI machine so it will have to run IRIX. I hope it comes with the installer host, otherwise good luck getting the poo poo direct from SGI.

Please buy it Linus.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

used 2697v4's probably gonna be cheaper on ebay soon

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

MustardFacial posted:

lol it’s an SGI machine so it will have to run IRIX. I hope it comes with the installer host, otherwise good luck getting the poo poo direct from SGI.

Please buy it Linus.

It's been in use since 2016 which means it's not the OG SGI, it's The Company Formerly Known As Rackable Systems, which acquired the remains of the bankrupt OG SGI in 2009 and was itself acquired by HP in late 2016.

IRIX was basically dead before the turn of the millennium and it didn't even run on x86 anyway, it was MIPS only AFAIK.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 30, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That auction also includes the actual racks, right? What would they be worth by themselves, and could they be repurposed for other hardware?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Randalor posted:

That auction also includes the actual racks, right? What would they be worth by themselves, and could they be repurposed for other hardware?

Next to nothing, and I'm sure you could rack up other stuff in there, yeah

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

"Please note that fiber optic and CAT5/6 cabling are excluded from the resale package."

what a loving scam

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
they probably decomissioned the cabling with a sawzall

it's pretty typical

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Good thing they drained the coolant already Linus would sell it as an energy drink

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

TheFluff posted:

It's been in use since 2016 which means it's not the OG SGI, it's The Company Formerly Known As Rackable Systems, which acquired the remains of the bankrupt OG SGI in 2009 and was itself acquired by HP in late 2016.

IRIX was basically dead before the turn of the millennium and it didn't even run on x86 anyway, it was MIPS only AFAIK.

ah ok - I was going to say - an Origin 3000 system is antique - would have been decomissioned long ago

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

priznat posted:

Good thing they drained the coolant already Linus would sell it as an energy drink

Gamer guy cooling water

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Gamer guy cooling water

"They say that blood is thicker than water... but does it make a better cooling solution? We, uh, "volunteered" some of our employees to find out! We're going to fill this system's water pump with their generous donations out of our new "We are not a cult" water bottle -available at the LTT store- and see what happens!"

I don't know why, but that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw those four words.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Randalor posted:

"They say that blood is thicker than water... but does it make a better cooling solution? We, uh, "volunteered" some of our employees to find out! We're going to fill this system's water pump with their generous donations out of our new "We are not a cult" water bottle -available at the LTT store- and see what happens!"

I don't know why, but that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw those four words.

Disclaimer I hate linus but this as a test sounds pretty loving metal lol

if a few ppl wanted to get together to donate a pint and make a hybrid human blood pc loop to see if it works id watch a video on it :getin:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Randalor posted:

"They say that blood is thicker than water... but does it make a better cooling solution?

Not the point of your post, but didn't that Diablo IV giveaway PC already claim to have blood in the cooling loop?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

GN uses those progress bars that show you how long a chart segment will be, for people that want to skip. I know they're doing it for the viewers convenience, and I give them kudos for that, but the very fact that they feel the need to put progress bars on their charts should tell them that TOO MANY/TOO LONG CHARTS.

I mean, you can look at it like that but I found that the bar conveniently shows me if I need to pause if I'm not done with looking at the chart.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Coffee Jones posted:

ah ok - I was going to say - an Origin 3000 system is antique - would have been decomissioned long ago

Ah memories.

Back in the day, in the 90's I was in the server vault with my boss and we were trying to sort out a problem on the Origin cluster, and as a noob with some SunOS and Irix experience but mostly linux, I was poking around trying to sort out what runaway process from the netscape server was dragging the system down this time.

I typed killall --help instead of man killall (for whatever reason) and with a whoosh, the whole loving rack immediately powered, leaving my boss and I standing in nearly perfect silence.

The look of incredulity on his face was amazing, thankfully it was early morning and there were only a few hundred partially committed orders in the various web stores that it was serving!!

God I hated that netscape application server, what a turd that thing was. Also, uh, never make "oh System V 'nixes are generally the same" kind of assumptions especially as root lol.

:doh:

Blitter fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 1, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... but did it fix the problem?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Jeff Fatwood posted:

I mean, you can look at it like that but I found that the bar conveniently shows me if I need to pause if I'm not done with looking at the chart.

I think you have it correct for it being there primarily so you can read it and not worry about it going away before you're done. I definitely disagree that it's there for ppl that want to skip (or at least, that's a helpful byproduct but not its primary purpose)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Randalor posted:

... but did it fix the problem?

It did fix the problem of the runaway processes!

It did not fix the problem of my boss regarding me as a noob, and instead confirmed it, and also made for many excellent office jokes about all the things that could be resolved with "just killall" etc etc