Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
gently caress I loving hate youtube thumbnails with people doing their stupid gape!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I have not yet understood what the Framework does that a Latitude or Thinkpad T-series does not.

Maybe it's the marketing?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
8800GTX 512MB, which brought the ridiculous prices of the 8800GTX 384/768MB versions down to human level. Had that one for years!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Framework has the repairability of a Thinkpad or Latitude from 2003, and the rest is hype.

When I worked for a computer manufacturer, our business line computers had parts available anywhere on Earth on the next business day for 5 years after the last one rolled off the assembly line after their 18 month production cycle, then available within 5-7 business days for another 18 months. The computers were designed so that the lowest bidding service provider could have their tech grunts replace any parts within 0.5-10 minutes with a single screwdriver on the laptops, or mostly without using tools on the desktops. Even after the 8 year official life spans you can get new old stock parts on eBay or used from recyclers, which I'm sure someone interested in wanting to repair their own computer would know how to do.

Framework is nothing but marketing an idea that has existed for decades, but with a worse and more expensive implementation.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Panel gaps like a Tesla

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
One of the most hilarious things I've seen is turning on smoothing on Star Wars ep IV on my TV, and watching it go from cinematic masterpiece into a Doctor Who VHS.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Serperoth posted:

I want to try that with something like Seven Samurai, now that you mention it.

Also, if your copy of Star Wars includes multiple languages/subtitles, I tried a short bit of it some years ago with subtitles only and just the soundtrack, and it worked very well.

Ah yes, the Tron: Legacy method of watching. Without subtitles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

apatheticman posted:

Linus has poo poo tons of weird tone deaf videos up.