Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Three Olives posted:

Laptops used to be expensive as all hell.

I just looked up my 14th birthday present, a PowerBook 3400c/240, apparently $5,500 in 1997 dollars. My parents were clearly insane.

Had to check on an old Dell Inspiron 8100 I have (still works!) that I use for retro gaming & apps. New price in 2001 was almost $3k for that thick 8lb+ monster, only thing I needed to do was get a replacement battery since the original was completely dead. Got it when I was working at an IT MSP & a client had a literal closet full of old-rear end equipment they were sending to recycle, too bad I didn't get to go through the rest to see what other artifacts were there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

The fact that your first computer was a P2 makes me feel incredibly old.

Dunno exactly what the specs were but my dad had a desktop in '93 that was our first home computer. Still have fond memories of the first time playing DOOM. I think our second computer was around '95-96, it was an Acer desktop package with a 15" monitor, an old Pentium 100, 4MB EDO memory & I think like a 1.5GB HDD. I played so much Quake & DOOM online on that thing especially after dad upgraded the hard drive & doubled the memory to a whopping 8MB.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Inept posted:

Most full time youtubers are doing patreons and merchandising because ad revenue is poo poo because youtube is a monopoly

Yup, plus quite a few have different sponsorships so I suspect ads really don't bring much revenue for the creator, more for the platform than anything. YT, like any other large business, is using stupid manipulation tactics ("YoU'rE HuRtInG CrEaToRs") & they're failing because people see through the bullshit.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Maybe the HL Platinum Edition collection? Looks like that fits the timeframe & has 4-5 games, not a fully orange box though

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

I've stuck pretty close to DDTS, Der8auer & GN for the tech stuff, they're all a little different but I like some of the more project/mod style stuff that GN & Der8auer do. They all fit their own niche pretty well plus adding that needed levity & humor so it's not so dry.