Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Rudager posted:

What about my friend Morten?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?SirNetrom1

He plays with actual (old) enterprise stuff in a house he inherited that he basically turned into a giant home lab. He does some videos in his dayjob as some kind of tech or something too.

I just picked on at random https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-aOGni1G9k where it looks like he's setting up a giant storage server for use in an actual production environment.
Interesting video but really only useful on learning how to plug cards into an HP server, he doesn't really cover the software setup or even the reason for so many of the expansion cards. I think he said they are external pci express or fiber networking? Whatever they are, I have no idea why he needed 6 cards worth.

Wirth1000 posted:

Linus owns nad his videos are entertaining. A sense of humour is required unless of course you think the height of humour is "there are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont" but then again this is SH/SC soooo....

Also, Steve "Computer Jesus" Burke did a thing with this pretty interesting cooler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoqYEdXNpak
Two hour long YouTube video on a loving water block??? Nope.

Linus may not be the smartest you tuber out there and his personality is a bit annoying at times, but he does at least produce informative videos with good production quality. I would love to see Linus play with real enterprise hardware or not make lovely RAID arrays, but aside from the annoying personality I like Linus' videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I was recently surprised to see Barnacules actually has been releasing videos, like once a month or so but he is releasing videos. The biggest reason I stopped watching Barnacules was the number of items he gets donated to him as well as the over usage of dumb jokes *ladies*. I cant really hate on someone for getting free poo poo like a robotic arm or a Peugot Sound computer worth $10K, I just don't want to support someone who gets free poo poo and then does not use it. I felt like Barnacules was either spending too much money, or being given too much free stuff, and not using the expensive tech enough in his videos. I'm not sure if I consider Barnacules better or worse than Linus, they both make immature jokes and waste a lot of money, only Linus is successful at whoring himself and Barnacules is not. I do think that lately Linus' tech videos are more informative than Barnacules, but that's not saying much. Linus and Barnacules both make me interested in the tech they are talking about without being as dry and professional as more educational, strictly technical videos.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Devian666 posted:

Despite his style a number of his videos are pretty interesting. I have to admit I watch a number of youtubers that have a terrible style that would never be fit for traditional broadcast.
I think some youtube vidoes are approaching the standards of quality for broadcast TV with like good lighting and coherent plot lines, but so many youtubers go overboard with lame sex jokes. I can stand a sex joke every once in a while during a video, I cant stand Barnacules saying "ladies" every 30 seconds in his videos.

I think what I hate most on you tube videos are people who refuse to edit out their mistakes or make any sort of coherent plan before starting to record their video. Like if you search for a video on how to use a particular Word or Powerpoint feature there is a good chance you will find a 15 minute video from a 10 year old kid who bumbles his way around going "click this menu oh no wait that menu no maybe here" and still get the process completely wrong. I mean I like seeing some of the mistakes Linus made to understand "why didn't he just do X and be done in 5 minutes? Linus is so dumb" when you really see "X would have worked in 5 minutes BUT we tried it and. . .".

I also cant remember the last time I watched a video over 30 minutes long and I don't think I have ever watched a live stream. I don't want to watch someone fumble along trying to build something, I want the cliff notes "here is what I made, here is what I tried and why the super easy fast method fails".

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I think it's mainly because he's a university lecturer, so a lot of his stuff is very much in the "get the information across without a bunch of wackiness" vein. It's actually kind of refreshing because the dude is unabashedly a nerd, but not in the modern "I like pop culture things that are currently trendy" sense of today, but the old-school 1980s kind of nerd who likes computers and stuff like that and doesn't worry about whether or not it makes him look hip or cool.
I simply cant convince myself to watch Chris Barnett's videos, for one I just don't really care a lot about SBCs, but his style is just too dry, I want to see videos that are more hands on and less talking. I don't mind some dry videos so long as it's still a little hands on and about an interesting topic, like Engineerguy's video on pop cans. Engineerguy later went on to do a 13 part series on candles and well, holy poo poo. On the one hand I'm intrigued and want to know what every last molecule is doing when my candle burns but it's still just a candle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUhisi2FBuw

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Sometimes I like Technology Connections but most of the time I would rather just read the Wikipedia article instead. What I like most about techmoan, LGR, or 8-bit guy is when they get hands on with old hardware and have to repair or restore it, I haven't seen that on technology connections. Technology Connections is still better than Linus.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 25, 2018

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
"I used to think Linus was gay but then I realized he is just Canadian."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9_qSA2qv_4

I actually sorta like watching his videos, I have not subscribed to his channel because get enough of him in my feed without subscribing. He does do some stupid stuff every once in a while, and he is annoying, but there is constantly new content and every once in a while you might find a tiny nugget of interesting information.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

He used an ASRock gaming mother board and consumer everythin, to run 3X raids in a raid. And then when it stopped working because it’s obviously a massive hack, he was flabbergasted that it was his only copy of some Data.
Honestly though watching some guy install proper enterprise server hardware in a data center where everything just works right the first time is pretty boring. I know Linus is not doing it the correct way, he is usually doing it the wrong way, cheap way, or ludicrously expensive way ($100,000 PC) and it's kinda fascinating to see the various what if scenarios he encounters. Watching some dude install the proper, expensive server hardware is just boring.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I wish Rossman didn't swear so much so I could watch his videos when my kids are in the same room but I think I have mostly droned out enough of what he is doing to not feel paranoid about his political point of view. I think he sperges out a lot, like one video where he was talking about how he uses soap and water to wipe his instead rear end instead of just dry toilet paper like a normal human. If you care that much about cleanliness get a bidet or wipes. . . I'm glad he is advocating for right for repair shops but I fast forward large parts of his videos just because they are kinda boring.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RIxgAgmfpk

Here it is. The video that made me finally say "gently caress this channel" and unsubscribe from Linus.

Far be it from me to be a fanboy of any product when it comes to Apple vs. Android but the way Linus always loving stretches some point super thin just to get some dig at Apple in any way he can its bizarre.

Like the whole "Hey, Apple offers 5 years of support for their devices but oh wait it's actually only 5 years from the launch of the phone so it's actually some sort of cloak'n'dagger bullshit!!" point was just insane. What is this dude's loving problem? Christ. He's reaching Louis Rossman levels of seeing shadows where there's not and that Adored guy's hatred against nVidia thinking they're the third reich's GPU division.

Linus is being honest and blunt about Apple products, value wise buying the latest iPhone is not a great deal. If you own last years model it will probably still be a functional, usable phone just without all the new bells and whistles of the latest model. In recent years, phones (both Apple and Android) are reaching a point where yearly upgrades are becoming less necessary, the processors are fast enough and new software is not demanding a faster processor.

Linus didn't call the 5 year support claim "cloak'n'dagger bullshit" - he explicitly stated that the $100 price drop for a last generation iPhone is simply taking off paying for 1 year of support. If you buy a new iPhone today (technically, on it's release date) you get 5 years of support (minus how ever many days since the phones release), and if you go with a last generation iPhone you get a $100 discount and 1 less year of support. Longevity wise, Linus claimed this makes a last gen iPhone cost the same as a brand new iPhone due to having to replace the last gen phone 1 year earlier. That said, I doubt anyone who cares much is keeping their phones for 5 or even 4 years so the supported life just shouldn't really matter in my opinion, but the last gen iPhones are not a significantly better value than a brand new iPhone.

I do think Linus has probably made some wrong, incorrect or even just stupid and biased claims in the past, but I cant think of any at the moment and I don't consider this a an example of an unfair claim. Similarly, I will agree that Rossman is a bit of a foamer with a lot of hate towards Apple, but at the same time I think a lot of Rossman's hate is justified, I agree with his point of view on the right to repair. If I made a living repairing iPhones I would be mad too.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

K8.0 posted:

I think it's more that it's emblematic of Apple's DGAF about what consumers want/need attitude. The times Apple has been innovative, it's been that they were very good at predicting things users didn't know they wanted. Lately, Apple frequently seems to know what consumers would want and just not give a gently caress.
How so? I think Apple knows that people want a headphone jack on the iPhone but DGAF. I think Apple knows people want more than 1 USB-C port per on the Macbook but DGAF. Is this a product of actually making the products, smaller, slimmer, lighter and thus better overall or a result of selling more poo poo? The headphone jack I can sorta see since "everybody is using wireless headphones now" - which could be a result of the drat phone not having a headphone jack in the first place!

Similarly, I had an issue with a group project last year where we had to do a presentation. We finished the presentation, we go to decide who is going to bring the laptop and run the presentation, one of the girls in the group proudly announced "I will bring my Macbook!" Another group member asked if it would connect to the projector to which the girl replied "Duh! it's a Mac! It will connect to anything!" The day of the presentation, the presenter came in late and angry and then proceeded to fumble around for 5 minutes trying to find the non-existent HDMI port on her Macbook. The whole group knew this from the start of the project, we knew the exactly that this would require a laptop or something with HDMI. Finally after the teacher threatened to fail my group the girl agreed to e-mail me the presentation so I could use my HP crap book because her Macbook didn't have a regular USB-A port for a flash drive either.

Also on Linus' Apple hatred, I kinda thought he was a whiny bitch in his Mac Pro repair until I learned that Apple was out right refusing to even allow him to pay to repair the computer. What if a car BMW dealerships treated customers like poo poo this way? You broke your car's seat? gently caress you, buy a new car. You need new tires? gently caress you, buy a new car. Your car needs an oil change? Just change your whole car instead.

TLDR, I am occasionally jealous of (older) Mac hardware but I absolutely loath everything about the ignorant Mac users who just assume their piece of poo poo is compatible with everything

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

K8.0 posted:

Yeah a BMW dealer dgaf if you bring them a clearly out of warranty car. They'll still happily sell you parts and service. Apple won't because gently caress you.
This is exactly my point, almost any other product I can think of, you can buy a repair part if you break it. Yes, you will void your warranty but who cares if you can actually repair the thing. If I caught my car's seat on fire while smoking a cigarette (and somehow didn't torch the rest of the vehicle), I would like to be able to buy just a seat from BMW and possibly pay a dealer certified trained tech to replace it, but I wouldn't expect to buy a whole new car.

Apple is like the BMW dealer who says they make new seats but the seats are only available for warranty repairs. 3rd party shops can also get the parts, but they are tracked and must only be used in Apple approved warranty repairs or the shop will be excommunicated. Paying for the parts or paying for the repair is impossible because *reasons*.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Arivia posted:

Also LGR started another side channel, this time for less-polished addenda, ephemera, small projects and other things that he can't make into a big video for the main channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw_Sxdt27ASqErScT4Rlj8A
Saw that he put $200 in quarters into an arcade machine just to make the slot sound right, and his suspiciously dated OPL chips. The chips was actually interesting, I wonder what their story is, if anything I personally would like a modern reproduction better than an original. The quarters video seemed a little excessive and unnecessar, but nowhere near as excessive as what other YouTubers have done. I suspect he could have got the same result with like hardware store washers instead of even just a piece of flimsy metal in the bottom, I would have liked to see in depth sleeting testing of options more suited to normal people But on the other hand, I guess owning a real arcade cabinet kinda commits a person to spending a lot of money on it.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
The 8 Bit Guy only occasionally open carries (used to carry?) a rifle, it's not like it's his essential every day carry. He wore the rifle as a political statement about the absurdity of the laws because someone can get into more trouble for carrying a pistol concealed than someone open carrying a rifle. I don't consider this enough to declare him a "Texas chud".

Similarly, there is a video from several years ago where he went over traits for choosing an airsoft pistol for self defense, which I assume is reasonable if you live somewhere that prohibits guns but allows airsoft. If anything I liked the video simply because it offers insight on a less lethal deterrent. I own guns but have never carried a gun, but if I felt a need to carry then a realistic airsoft might be a viable option. . . except for the fact that if you fail to scare you assailant away you might just escalate an attack into a real gun fight while you are carrying a toy. Regardless, I thought it was an informative video that was not overly political, I wish he didn't mention no guns in schools but ironically he does have a point that you can bring an airsoft gun in a school but not a real gun. I don't believe being a gun owner automatically makes someone a bad person, I don't remember 8 Bit Guy ever saying much about politics or BLM or anything controversial.

As for the IBM Executive, it's a little sad but I think he does have a valid point that is just an odd, not mass produced (failed?) old relic with little value. It's not like he pissed on Steve Jobs original wooden Apple, he just screwed a hard to find power supply. The paper clip trick was a bad idea, but I can not honestly say I would not have done the same exact thing in that situation. Cutting the power supply chassis while butchering the screw heads sucks, but I have never tried to cut a screw head with a Dremel, I cant say that I would have done any better. I think 8 Bit Guy is capable of doing good PC repair and resoration work, he is great at retro brighting and cleaning cases and he has done more chip level repair than I have ever done, he knows how to do good work he just hosed up this one since the IBM Executive is apparently a worthless piece of crap.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 11, 2020

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Nope, that's real.

Holy poo poo. . . I am going to guess the only reason he is alive is because he squeezed the rods together when they fell over causing a more direct short before his heart that might have tripped a safety (GFCI, breaker, magic smoke, something?).

I like that he posted on reddit about it being fake, but in my opinion, if I had watched that video I would think it was just another stunt. Mehdi doesn't seem to have any fear of electrocuting himself. My brother in law is the same way, he is a lineman now at a lower company, before that he was (still is, as a hobby) a rancher and he would just walk up and grab an electric fence to check if it's on it not. A loving electric fence designed to shock thousand pounds cows with enough pain to turn them away. Every other rancher I know refuses to touch electric fences but it just doesn't bother my brother in law at all. I assume he is smart enough to not try that trick with the power lines (he's been a lineman for years and is still alive).

Another example, my step dad and his family had a box. . . The box had two metal handles and a knob, one person grabs the handles while another grabs the knob to crank up the voltage as a test of masculinity, I guess it's like an alternative to a fist fight for settling arguments. I kinda want to build one of those boxes someday, but I have no idea how safe or dangerous such a device might be. I don't remember how their box was powered, I know their box was home made and I hope it was not mains powered.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 25, 2020

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Kerbtree posted:

Modern ones use vibrations instead.
I wasn't talking about sex toys.

Seriously though, do you have any idea what I can search google for if em, a friend wants to build a shock box? I doubt "shock box" or "electrocute yourself" will get the desired google results.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Constellation I posted:

Speaking of shock, YouTube recommended me JayzTwoCents static shock video after watching the Linus Electroboom one. My God, how does he live like that.
Is there a safe way to make a shock toy with static electricity? Is that the same principle that the glass lightning globes use? I would love to know to make something like that, but strong enough that you can actually feel it.

I watched Big Clive's video since I think he is insane but also extremely smart. I think Electroboom is also insane and most likely smart too, but you can't always tell if he is pretending to be dumb or not. That said, the one thing that surprised me the most about Clive's shocker was the size the fact that he plugged it into mains electricity. He sorta kinda insisted it was safe, I think the phrase he used was "this won't kill me but it's extremely dangerous". I am user the impression a 9v battery could be used and be much safer, supposedly you can taste the power if you lick the terminals of a 9v but I've never been brave/foolish enough to try it.

Romes128 posted:

I stuck a hair pin into an outlet when I was like 8 and it turned my finger tips yellow. Then my dad called me and idiot and we took a nap.
My sister tried to hang up a picture on the wall using ab safety pin and an electrical outlet.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

mewse posted:

I'm Canadian and I worked for a visual effects company and you can read between the lines and see what a miserable place that could be to work. The misery in the editing dept any time they're shown is palpable. Linus constantly jokes about how he's the boss and his is the only opinion that matters. The whannock server saga, the time they thought they could dump all their backups to google drive, the "why we don't license windows" video that I refused to watch, they're operating as a fly by night but have a sizable number of staff who are constantly putting out fires due to jerry rigged solutions.

Yes having Intel pony up for a 5k USD home tech upgrade is dope AF but it was like 5 on-camera personalities that got that treatment.
At least here in the US, if you work at a lousy lovely job, you have a right to leave. My boss cant hold me hostage and force me to work, neither can Linus. The "misery" in the editing department honestly doesn't seem that bad at all. If anything, I think they might be a little annoyed when there are cameras in their room unexpectedly but I have never thought any of them were upset. Even the time he rolled a spool of HDMI cable through the editing department, sure they looked a little annoyed at the time, but I highly doubt he didn't actually give them a little notice. If he didn't give them notice, and does this stuff every day, go back to my previous point- you have a right to quit if your boss is an rear end in a top hat, apparently the editors don't feel he is enough of an rear end in a top hat to make them want to quit.

The server thing maybe you have a point, on the other hand for a channel about DIYing PC hardware, I think it would be wrong if they used just a boring off the shelf server. They obviously have external hard drives, flash drives, and probably even a Synology box or two scattered around, as well as one large, central NAS that has a kinda crazy Linus style setup. Same argument for Google drive. As for windows licensing, if you do not want to spend the time to watch the video, then I do not want to spend my time telling you why you are wrong (which has already been done in a previous post). Operating as a fly by night jerry rigged tech company is the entire point of Linus Tech Tips. If you want reliable poo poo that never breaks go put on Level 1 Techs and fall asleep, it's good information but it's extremely boring.

Arivia posted:

I don’t disagree it could be a horrible place to work (remember they had a woman doing on camera work for them for awhile making her hand model LITERALLY EVERYTHING and then she was just suddenly gone? I wonder why) but I should point out the Windows licensing video was literally just “we don’t activate all the PCs you guys see in videos because they’re largely temporary test builds. This is okay by Windows licensing, here’s our stack of actual licenses, just ignore it” mountain out of a molehill stuff, not “LINUS PULLS A FAST ONE ON MICROSOFT HERE IS HOW.”
Well said, I agree with you, except I don't think Max is any way a problem. Sure she did a lot of hand modeling, but that is not something I would consider cruel or unusual in a work environment. Similarly, she did choose to leave, people can leave LTT if they want to, Linus can not hold people hostage.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Baronash posted:

I have no way of knowing the work environment at LMG, but loving lol if you unironically think that people at a job aren’t unhappy, under appreciated, or overworked unless they are quitting.
You're right, jobs suck, that's how our society works. Everyone will feel unhappy, under appreciated, or overworked at some point, that is simply a fact of modern society and economics. If your boss is bending over backwards to give you everything you want, everybody should be lining up trying to take your job. Every single job has it's ups and downs.

Regardless, that is a debate about economics which is not the same as a debate about whether or not there is evidence of Linus being a bad boss. I personally do not feel like any of the "evidence" posted here has shown that LMG is any worse than any other job.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, pretty much that. I'm annoyed as gently caress by my job (actually it's the poo poo pay for what I do), but given my qualifications (mostly just a lack those lovely papers spelling D-I-P-L-O-M-A) my options are limited. So I just stick with it, because it mostly can just get worse. I know plenty of others with the same situation.
I'm sorry you're in a lovely situation. The way the US work culture and education system is setup does have some problems, it does hold people back. That said, I know my job really sucks right now, but I know I am here in part because of my own fault, and in part because of factors I feel have been beyond my control. You're right, but that is a debate that is not the same as whether or not Linus is a good or bad boss.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think Linus is a patron saint of YouTube, I just think he gets a lot of flack for being annoying. He is annoying click bait at times, but he also knows his poo poo sometimes. He also fucks up or even just does ridiculous things for LOLs. If you dislike LTT because Linus is annoying in his videos, that is legit. Disliking him for "using pirated software" on a video you can't be bothered to watch is just trolling.

Arivia posted:

Yeah, that's fair - I just wondered more about a bunch of crap from their fans or weird gross stuff otherwise because of her being an attractive woman being used to model things on screen. I never watched that video about why she left, I probably should.
At least from what I've seen in the linked video, I don't recall them ever saying exactly why she left, but it was clear she was not mad at her coworkers or boss. But I think your right LTT fans might have been creepy but I don't think that is Linus' fault.

the talent deficit posted:

i used to work with one of the LTT employees and still see them occaisonally. they are underpaid relative to what they could make elsewhere but also have much better work satisfaction and work expectations at LTT. they're also able to freelance as much as they want and LTT is super accomodating of it

allegedly linus was kind of a libertarian MY MONEY employer early on but people explained to him that he'd never keep employees with that kind of attitude and also he was being a dick and he got a lot better
Underpaid but happier at your happier at your job really doesn't seem like a problem. If you want more money for more stress by all means go get that higher paying, higher stress job.

Klyith posted:

If you worked in a serious business environment, and your boss made you buy some cockamamie storage server his son-in-law who "builds his own computers" had speced out for him, and then it lit on fire, and your boss was yelling "how could this happen?", and you couldn't say "because a raid 0 of raid 5s is loving idiotic you idiot!", and you were looking at losing your job either way it shook out because they are gonna lose a ton of money of data recovery or a ton of money on downtime... that would be a very sucky day.

At LMG, that's just another day making content.

All of that poo poo inside their office isn't their business, it's their set. Their business is on youtube, their forum website, and the store where they sell tshirts & boxers. The real money-making operations are not hosted on home-brew servers in a server room build from a converted under-stairs closet.
I worked in a serious business environment where my boss literally used "some cockamamie storage server his son-in-law who "builds his own computers" had speced out for him" in addition to desktops bought on Black Friday at Walmart, and I was screamed at and harassed because I couldn't fix 10 busted computers in 90 minutes. The important key difference is my boss blamed me for this bullshit, Linus owns up to his own mistakes, and the entire purpose of Linus' business is to make videos about crazy hardware setups.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

It sounds worse than it is. It's relatively seen a nice job, because the activities are diverse. I'm just paid like poo poo, in my opinion anyway. I moved from operating a cable insulation extrusion production line, where most of my day consisted out of 6-7 hours of Netflix and internet browsing, to production planning with a side-dish of statistician and data analyst/programmer. And for some reason I still earn the same (actually less, since I got shift bonuses as blue collar). I certainly don't want back to the factory floor, but I also don't know what else I want to do. IT is interesting, but they want all sort of paper work to consider you worthy. Yet when I look at our IT department (where I applied once, also note that I'm coding regardless), dumping SQL results into an SWT table in Java seems to be considered high art, yet trying to get them to decode a simple Excel formula makes their heads spin like a propeller (happened more than once when me and my senior coworker were both on vacation, and people called them for support). So I'm not sure what extended education I _do_ actually need. Bitter? No sir, not at all.

Also to get back on topic. Yea I guess it would be nice to work at a shop like LTT, but if they're indeed actually underpaid, fun isn't a currency that pays the bills. On the other hand, at least the editing team, considering what a shitshow the movie/TV industry is, specifically the VFX branch, it's probably saner to live on dry bread anyhow.
I left a job because I was being paid only 50 cents more an hour than my current job, but I was expected to do office work AND computer janitor a literal poo poo storm of computers. The same or less pay than everyone else, but with the same workload + additional tasks, that just wasn't going to work. The head of IT told me a couple times "I don't know what I'm doing, I have no training, I'm just kinda winging it". So, you can actually become a "head of IT" without training if you Know A Guy, I guess. I've heard lots of people say experience is worth as much as the piece of paper, and I've seen it exactly one time, so I don't believe it. Also, I can speak C++ but I cant speak excel, IMO real number crunching is done in a for loop or a bash script not some silly spreadsheet.

To get back on topic, the idea of creepy fans came up. Several years ago I watched Nixie Pixel, a girl who did Linux and photoshop things. I quit watching because the content started to get a little dry, and I thought I was noticing her neck line getting lower and lower each video. Maybe I'm imagining things, maybe I'm wrong, I don't believe YouTube tracks a cleavage statistic, but I felt like she might have been trying to use her dress to captivate her audience. I looked up Nixie again and she hasn't posted much in years, but I did see a video where apparently she has been posting a lot less because of her own personal health issues. I'm not sure if I think Nixie was trying to use sex appeal to build her audience, maybe she did unintentionally. But my step dad of all people has linked me a couple videos of I believe a Russian girl who works on electronics wearing a thong. I'm sure she knows what she is doing, but I just cant watch a video like that in front of my wife or kids so I choose to avoid that YouTube channel. I hope people were not creeping on Max, but creepers are everywhere, it's not just an LMG thing.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

You should get into 3D printing, because that'll eventually make Youtube suggest Naomi 'SexyCyborg' Wu to you.
That is exactly who I was talking about, thank you for this helpful reminder for videos I totally will not watch behind closed doors. Really, is she actually like good at 3D printing? I don't own a 3D printer and I have no idea if what she talks about is legit or just jail bait click bait.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

She actually knows what she's talking about. The produced videos aren't really an indicator of that, since it's essentially acting with a script. But you'll notice when she's doing more candid stuff when recorded while visiting conventions... when that was still possible.

Scuttlebutt is that her boyfriend pressured her into getting those big tits. Does help attracting more viewers, tho.
I'm not sure how I feel abut her being half naked in her videos. I think it certainly does help with views, for the wrong reason. On the other hand, if she is OK with literally showing her rear end on YouTube then I guess I cant complain. It would be bad if she was famous for a video where she accidentally flashed the camera, but if she knows what she is doing I guess it's OK. I still dislike it, but I guess that is just how society the algorithm works, guys (and girls) are horny and want to see tits in videos. It's not porn, it's art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Guitarchitect posted:

Maxine! She alluded to it a bit in her early content and it sounded emotional TBH... a lot of it was "I'm not ready to talk about the experiences that led to me leaving" - I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't just the creepiness of the audience. Would she have ended up with a wikifeet page if she wasn't a personality on LMG? Probably not. But then she did start her own channel so who knows. There was also the fact that she couldn't do anything that she wanted to do - the channel has a very bland/plain aesthetic/style, whereas she thought they could do things differently (like this video). I followed her on youtube when she started her channel but she didn't really do much with it. Followed her on instagram to see what she'd do with her photography business (I am a photographer as well) but it quickly just became a depository for self-portraits.

In terms of LMG's money though they also have all sorts of income streams - they used to do builds/specs for people but it seems like that has tapered off now that LMG is more of an empire... but the youtube ads/clicks make up a fairly small portion of the overall income.
Thanks, I appreciate this informative post. I think Maxine was probably too artistic for LMG, although ironically I think the video you linked actually has a very bland, dull style. It's a lot better than their usual busy desk set, and I think it's very ironic that one of the sets at LMG is a kitchen to make it look like they are just making amateur videos at home. In a way I think it would be kinda boring if every video had so much attention to detail and set design as the Model M video, for me part of the appeal of LMG is watching an amateur mess up over and over again until he finally gets it right(ish).