Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

LTT is pretty lame in a lot of regards but it’s entertaining and a decent friendship simulator for people. The fans seem to love when Anthony, Riley, Dennis, Luke or James show up. It’s partly about the technical details but mostly about watching the fellas do some full send water cooling poo poo.

Can’t believe that anyone was critical of GN Steve let alone his hair. Guy seems great and I applauded his clear disinterest in reading out webpages on camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Lol that he named his company / channel after himself then. He’s a good guy but drat makes some odd choices.

You know what you tuber I can’t stand? Bitwit/Awesomesauce/Kyle. He’a easily got the least tech knowledge of the crowd, lacks video skills and does those painful skits. At least Paul doesn’t try to be entertaining and jayztwocents is incredibly skilled at builds. Kyle just has vlogs with his wife and terrible characters. I don’t get the appeal.

well why not fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 30, 2019

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Pretty sure he’s 1/2 Japanese and the character “Lyle” (JFC) is explicitly a Chinese man

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

he could be full blooded Chinese going back to 40k BC and that impression would still feel dreadful

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I saw a video of his once when he was wearing a t-shirt with 'Taxation is Theft' on it, and I think that pretty much says it all

I doubt he’s actually smart enough to have an ideology so it’s probably a reference to some vidya. That or he’s a libterian and his wife’s speaking voice is beginning to make sense

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Scrapyard wars is fun to skim thru but it is pretty dull watching dudes scroll classifieds. At least Kyle isn’t on this one. Actually, speaking of LTT staff I’m pretty impressed with Colton. He’s leading the charge on getting their setups, has a sick house in the woods and can cut down trees and is apparently the best gamer. I thought he was just an odd small weird guy to make Linus look tall and normal. Colton is kinda cool.

Teams are definitely stacked the other side tho. Alex / Jake / Luke are all powerhouses.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Latest BitWit video has a straight up racist "joke" in the first few moments. CW: racism. "Why would I rat myself out, I eat rat for breakfast". What a scumbag. I don't know why I cant help but click his dumb videos.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah he always read off of a page. He writes most of it so what’s the big deal?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Paul is ok but both he and Steve have muppet voices. There’s not many great orators in this space which makes LTT Anthony even more special.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

UT guy always seemed like a huckster rear end in a top hat. I don’t mean to be gatekeeping but he doesn’t really come across as an enthusiast at all - bad vibes to me.

Lol at that Linus video. He really let that guy say some fruity poo poo

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ya that’s water cooling

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Wirth1000 posted:

I honestly have no idea how Unbox Therapy is such a big thing.... the guy is the most transparent shill I've ever seen.

I feel like the video is going to stop at any moment and he's going to start bullying me.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

We haven’t really talked about Jay ITT but he’s probably the most gifted at actual builds out of his peers. His channel isn’t perfect (and sometime he really rubs me the wrong way) but when he whips out the tools it’s always interesting. The Destiny themed ITX / external radiator mod he did for a friend was sick.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Xerophyte posted:

This is kinda faint praise but Jay is really good at something almost every channel on youtube sucks at: doing sponsorship bits. His commercials are obviously separate from the editorial content, not shoved intrusively into the middle of his videos, for stuff he genuinely likes or uses and often actually funny. Sure, the man is paid to say he loves world of warships more than anyone reasonably could love world of warships, but he seems to have picked wargaming to sponsor him because he really loves boats and it shows.

His watercooling rundowns are very thorough and his builds and mods are definitely the best of the tech tube mafia, although for pure "watch man (plus adorable daughters) build ridiculous neon monstrosity for rich people" it's hard to beat the Pinoy cheer of Declassified Systems.

Yeah respect to the guy for his ethics w/r/t sponsors. IIRC his dad was a navy guy and they were pretty close.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Linus is only like 31 I think. Dozens of staff, huge contracts, tight deadlines and two or three kids. Stress factory. No wonder he drops poo poo. I think scaling back is wise. Everyone loves his other hosts anyways. Most recent videos he’s kinda in the passenger seat while someone else does the real work which seems like it’s an easier role. Alex does 90% of the stuff to watercool the RED (thankfully as he seems to semi know what he’s doing).

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

that creeper build is pretty sick, shame it's going to a scumbag. wtf linus.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

They're basically the audiobook versions of the articles. decent background noise. I think the video format is worthwhile when they're tearing poo poo apart, doing experiments or showing off cases. When it's just product shots and him reading an A4, it's just dull. Not a dig on Steve, he does seem cool and is 100% in on the joke that his youtube presence is often about as gripping as a fish tank.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

you're not wrong but GN know their niche, and that niche is Steve reading walls of text and showing massive charts. It's the PC gamer's PC gamer channel.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

When you read Jay saying "trained a long time ago how to mentally prepare for the idea of defending myself" keep in mind the guy was like 180kg + for much of his life. I've unsubbed from him anyways, he's a talented case modder but that's it.

Linus is a goof but at least he's not a castle doctrine idiot. He's not wrong but the way that message is worded is just so off kilter.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

that's more like it :

https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/1270449908567273472

20k is pretty serious money, even for someone as cashed up as Linus

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yeah I've thought about it a lot too. His studio has a lot of staff, even for a 10m+ channel, but makes more videos than most other channels the same size. It seems like the staff are pretty well compensated - they all have new toys and seemingly nice homes. I'm thinking of Alex's apartment and car, or Colton's countryside house, not Dennis' weird Always Sunny squalor.

He's definitely dealing with tens of millions in turnover a year with various manufacturer deals and the constant sponsor spots. He's also mentioned that he has a "favourable" youtube contract due to the channel's age. There's also LLT Store, affiliate links, the other channels which also run ads... it goes on. So yeah, high expenses, but high income too.

I wonder if FloatPlane makes money yet? That's surely a money pit.

I don't think he spends any money on himself that's not a tax write off. The cars are probably "work vehicles", he seemingly has one pair of jeans and LTT merch he'd get for near free. I wouldn't be surprised if the house is somehow a work premises too, it's certainly big enough.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so4FwjfQ7YI&t=195s

3m20s

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

just when i think i understand america's gun situation i'm introduced to squads of texans carting around ARs for fun and "educating the public". Also lol that they went to a subway and a comics store.

actual content that won't start a 2A nightmare derail :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh0bdzeAZ1w

LTT finished their custom Mac Pro G5, hackintosh finally. Took like 4 months and it's a rattle can paint job with some components being taped on. What a channel.

well why not fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 15, 2020

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Theophany posted:

That video has the overarching feel that they thought they were going to slam dunk the Mac Pro and by the end it was just like 'what the gently caress are we doing?'

Alex, from offscreen: "The script is written as if the Mac Pro wins this part". This one seems like a COVID scramble, haha. Having two Mac Pro competitor videos in two days is wonky, even for LTT. I'm guessing the schedule got all hosed up and this is how it had to be to meet the sponsorship contract or something.

That PC, despite being 30k just seems so lovely compared to the (admittedly less powerful) Mac Pro. The connectivity is whacked, the case is awful (although the 2-way mirror idea is neat, this is a bad look), the "no video outs" issue is weird. 30k is a lot of money for something you have to build yourself.

It's a pretty good illustration of why a Mac is kinda desirable. You just have your company buy it, plug it in and you're generally pretty good to go. At least the mac pro has video out and wifi/bluetooth out of the box.

I can't help but think the final "drag race" with their hackintosh build is going to be ... pretty much the same thing. They've already spent a huge amount of money on it to the point where the "PC is cheaper" mantra is likely long forgotten. To say nothing of the time spent. I'm pretty sure you can order a Mac Pro and have it within the week.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIYJRlL6QNw

finally some true hardcore gamer content

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The bald faced contempt for having to make videos is the charm

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Just lol if you watch LTT and expect it to be anything more than a fun gently caress around with tech with info / opinion sprinkled throughout. Whole Room Watercooling was like 5 years ago, if you haven't realized at this point that the channel is a little tiny bit not educational i don't know what to say.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Linus just built a bath PC

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I want a video about Alex' sick dune buggy but i get that doing nvidia press releases pays the bills.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Warmachine posted:

tl;dw: surprisingly effective, and possibly economical depending on where you live.

This rocks, it owns when they let the second string hosts do loopy poo poo. Alex shotgunning a can of coffee in the ad spot really sets the tone.

well why not fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 29, 2020

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Some Goon posted:

I don't know how Steve doesn't go off on reddit for being dipshits.

I also don't know why Steve reads reddit.

he posts pretty often on there:

https://www.reddit.com/user/Lelldorianx

he's one of the special people whose voice is apparent in text.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zt57TWkTF4

LMG transparency is pretty neat

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Guitarchitect posted:

Back on-topic, i'm really curious as to who Linus is building that wonky pyramid PC for - he constantly trashes the person/client so it must be a friend of his or someone who gets a kick out of being humiliated?

It's weird because if it were someone noteworthy it'd be a cross-promotion or at least mentioned. If it were PDP or Ninja or some other twitch/esport/gaming celebrity they'd be in the videos.

They've obviously got money to burn on the world's most distinctive and visible computer, but they're still incognito. How on earth do you get a one-off custom PC from LTT but not mention it anywhere online? Is some nobody going to post it on /r/battlestations and just be like "i have money" in the comments and go into no detail?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The vibe I got from Riley's home was that they bought the place and were not planning to have a baby whilst living there.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

almost as embarrassing as the guy's racist impersonations. almost

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Huge mistake to piss of youtube channels in the one market they have the most power. Seeing Linus get defensive of a smaller channel is always good. It's really lucky that he's such a good guy, considering how powerful he is now.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hi Steve,

Not sure if you'll even read this but whatever, who cares, what's the point. I'm so hosed up and can't stop crying, I hosed up how could you ever love me again. I'm such a bad person. No one cares i'm a nobody. just a failure.

you all work so hard i'm just a screwup. i'm crying and shaking right now and i punched a wall

all the best,

BDR

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I remember hearing a "cautionary tale / brag" that kids would bunch their legs up in a crouch either side of the electrical socket, then jam something in. The spasms would lock their legs straight and they'd shoot across the floor.

Probably not true, but lol at whatever idiot uncle told me that when i was 7. Super cool thing to tell a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zt57TWkTF4

Linus goes into the finances a bit. Basically he gets yt money, merch money and partnered video money. He's a massive presence in the industry - it wouldn't be crazy to see, say, the owners of a large PC gaming magazine in 90's living with his lifestyle, would it? He clearly pays his employees well (does Jake have a BMW M3?) so it's hard to fault him.