Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
For me the thing with Linus is he doesn't do actual smart/clever stuff to be interesting and the stuff he does while often kinda dumb usually isn't dumb enough to be actually entertaining.

Plus I find his voice very irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

What a stupid plan (or lack thereof). What was the expected benefit of water cooling the camera anyway?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

He’s like an entertaining technology clown.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Took me a while to realize it, but I got there. It is confusing as hell trying to puzzle out how someone can be so consistently a complete goofball.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

~Coxy posted:

This probably isn't it, but if you do astronomical photography then cooling the sensor absolutely reduces noise.

That owns. Funny though it isn't a water cooler, even :haw:

Linus probably would have had better results if they built an enclosure that blasted high CFM fans into the vents of the camera and it would have been non destructive.. But of course ~WaTeR CoOLiNG!!~

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Non tech aware people aren’t aware of the “joke” and I was told about the channel by one who totally earnestly believed that Linus is a tech guru which I think is the source of my confusion.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Are there good summaries of LTT videos so you don't actually have to watch them if there isn't anything entertaining in them.

Other than this thread of course.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ars Technica nooooo

I assume they have already scrubbed all his articles from the site

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Theophany posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of the rainbow unicorn rgb puke build and that warercooled build in that chassis that looks like a boiler, rather than that water cooled room which Luke's Dad, a plumber, said was the dumbest poo poo.

Was that the one with sweating copper pipes everywhere?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Marques is such a class act, very worthwhile video.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I got a Tekton kit (https://www.tekton.com/everybit-tech-rescue-kit-28301) that comes in a little pouch and is super portable that I really like. It has some great stuff packed in there from all the spudgers to the suction cup puller to the magnetic spot for screws.

The screwdriver is nice and solid too. Has all the bits I need, a+ would buy again.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ahhhh I am training jr engineers at work on working with and debugging electronics and that simultaneously makes me laugh and makes me anxious.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I have a coworker who thought he was saving the company “literally hundreds of dollars” (?!?) because he found some cheap rear end multimeters on alibaba or some crap and ordered them on the company card.

I pointed out they are not calibrated and can not be calibrated so an ISO auditor would rip us a new one if there were any in the lab when they did an inspection and they all disappeared the next day, lol.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah the amount these MMs would have saved was not even noise in our hardware budget and it was so silly. We’re not lacking for decent fluke and keysight MMs either.

What does spin me up is when people treats equipment like poo poo like lets the probes just drop on the floor etc. I don’t want to be stuck with one of the bent rear end probes when I got stuff to do you slovenly fucker!!

Back on topic for the thread, are there any good channels for stuff like electronic debug techniques etc? Something like fixing pc boards or raspberry pi. I could use a good soldering tutorial vid too I was never formally taught like most engineers and it is a functional mess at best.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Big Navi/Big Vega :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It’s fun seeing linus branch out into completely new areas to gently caress up in and probably propel himself to even more success, inexplicably.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I briefly reconnected with a high school acquaintance on FB (before he tried to get me into a MLM scheme) and he said he is neighbours with Linus and he’s a great guy and throws awesome block parties.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh I can't recall which one, I think it was actually Amway.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I love my phanteks enthoo evolv with the glass sides it is great and stays very clean due to washable mesh dust screens!

Also the glass blocks the noise well.

Haters gon hate

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Theophany posted:

I'm the video game posters in the bog

Git gud (at pooping)

Boom headshot

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It’s always funny to me how engineers in several countries have rings made of conductive material (“iron”, but actually steel) on the pinkie finger, so very exposed.

I know a guy who got zapped by the 96v ringing voltage on a SONET backplane, after that he stopped wearing the ring :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

EngineerJoe posted:

It's literally to remind us that we can be idiots too... mission accomplished?

No argument here!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Weirdly the exception to this is that herman miller/logitech gaming chair which is actually less expensive than the regular office version of the same chair (still $1500 tho, lol)

But so much of the gaming furniture stuff is such garbage. Best option will always be scoring a good quality herman miller or steelcase from a bankruptcy sale.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

K8.0 posted:

This title... god drat.

Steve is super done with NZXT.

I hadn’t heard about that, but that is amazing how poo poo that design is. I do boards, pcie included, and it seems completely irresponsible to not have a large cutout of the 12v plane around any screw holes. Really the hole should also have plated areas (including in the hole but I guess that would raise the cost per board) with the holes larger diameter than the included screws so it doesn’t grind thru the material. The screws should just engage to whatever the pca is being mounted to.

Stuff like this is why cheaper manufacturers like nzxt give me the willies.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

nerdrum posted:

I'm not really sure why NZXT has gotten any reasonable sense of goodwill from the community, the RGB and fan controller poo poo they released under the "CAM" software suite basically bricking and making booting with most of the AIO's a crapshoot situation. The Shift and ShiftX both being 2x the price of any competitor and having some of the worst airflow and performance, along with another absolute dogshit bottom of the barrel riser cable.

NZXT is and will always be a cheap brand.

Getting into custom cabling and being pretty lax on quality and testing seems like a recipe for allllll sorts of liability issues. To say nothing of rolling your own AIOs, kind of want those to not have any unforeseen issues!

Good to know they have some actual serious issues rather than just my vague suspicions. Thermaltake is another one I usually looked at a bit shifty-like, but I have nothing to back that up and I’m not dialed into the scene to know what dodgy stuff they are up to.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Romes128 posted:

Thermaltake has been accused of copying case designs from Fractal and Caselabs a couple years ago. Google it, a ton of stuff shows up.

I already wasn't buying their stuff due to just the hunch they sucked, but good to have those confirmed!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lmao is that a cig lighter and a cupholder for a 5.25” drive bay, good lord.

It’s like the old tech support legend of someone using their optical drive tray as a cupholder but productized, plus smoking.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

Cheap they may be, but this is a $350 case

what

Goddamn I thought this was some cheap ripoff of the corsair tiny case thingie with the riser etc. That’s madness, buy a phanteks or something!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That’s amazing, laff.

Good on Steve for putting the (nylon?) screws to em. That kind of reaction they had is worse than the fuckup in the first place and should cost them customers. If they had a proper apology, recall, and fix for it everyone could just move forward. I wonder if they crunched the numbers on it and felt a recall would be too spendy or were just plain dickheads about it and didn’t care about potential backlash.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I wonder if dumb stock buys can qualify as a business write off in the hectic world of youtube celebrities

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I mean the man has a personal goal of making sure every employee of his can afford to buy a house. Even if he doesn't pay the best in the business, compared to most business owners he's already being irresponsible with his cash in, uh, maybe a good way?

Not going to lie, I wish I had an employer that was hell bent on making sure I could afford to buy a house.

Wow, based in the BC lower mainland that is really a stretch goal, housing prices are insane here.

They must have quite the security at their offices if he’s gonna keep a solid gold controller around, in Surrey, lol.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

If you let your gaming pc blast away 24/7 mining coins would it even recoup the cost of the power?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I remember when even the good PC cases had razor sharp edges that would cut you bad if you were caught unawares.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I just made a blood sacrifice a few months ago when I had to reposition my noctua 12a, without even noticing until a minute later. Good times.

Ooh yeah, at least heatsink fins have a reason to be super thin/sharp and not just raggedy rear end pc case cuts :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Using Transfers is good too because it can ignore the bus width which would cause the bits/bytes per second to be wildly different.

I occasionally get informed by friends on how pcie works due to LTT videos despite actually working on pcie devices for almost 10 years but I just smile and go “oh yeah that’s interesting” or gently reeducate them (linus thinks pcie gen3 uses 8b/10b coding for example and even then does the overhead calculation wrong)

It’s just stuff to make people who don’t know the details feel like they do and that makes them feel good and smart so they keep watching.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just wait when pulse amplitude modulation becomes standard on more interfaces! (pcie gen6 etc)

Everything should just be in transfers/sec the clock speeds only matter at the phy level anyway.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Linus (on the WAN show) just finished his defense of his positive review of the 3080TI when everybody else in the industry trashed the card.

Let's just say it moved me

TO A BIGGER HOUSE!!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

EngineerJoe posted:

I like Marques' tech opinions and his reviews are good for just viewing a product on day 1.

Yah same, I find I get a good gist of a product from him and he does point out flaws so it’s not 100% shill. Nicely produced too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Adolf Glitter posted:

I feel about 100 years old

Extremely same I have no idea what any of that meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Most heat pump installs here (I’m not far from Linus) involve a gas furnace or other option as well, but it usually doesn’t get a lot of work until the temperatures fall below a certain point only sometimes encountered in our winters. They’re really great options and I’m keen to get one installed at some point either in a retrofit or new build.

I would really love the ground thermal version but the installation of that is big bucks! Surprised he didn’t go that way and get it paid for by sponsorship.