Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol, adored already made a 50 minute video summarising nvidia's crimes history less than a year ago

is this going to be an annual event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

To be fair, he had that nickname for years before this pizza gate bullshit already.

pizza=cp has been around far longer than pizzagate

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cheese+pizza

since 2010 at least

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

That was about it not reaching their target boost clocks, not about it crashing, I believe.

The exact wording was that the all POSCAP layout "cannot pass the real world applications testing" which doesn't make it clear whether they meant crashing or something else

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1336428798481403910?s=19

:awesomelon:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Doesn't he legally have to disclose sponsorships? He doesn't get credit for doing something when not doing it would get him in trouble

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Charles posted:

edit: are you sure?

https://twitter.com/search?q=from%3Abenheck%20mask&src=typed_query&f=live

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

In one of the replies I saw someone say that Valorant should be part of the test suite

Like, I get that it's a popular game, but the thing will also run on a toaster. Who needs to know so badly whether a 6700XT is capable of running it well?

valorant runs on a fork of UE4s mobile renderer, the tech is literally designed to run on phone GPUs lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How do you work out if someone is a gamer anyway? Number of N-words said?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Isn't Coreteks the one that claimed Ampere would have a raytracing co-processor on the back of the PCB for some reason?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

"The response from the community" included harassing the guy in the video personally, which continues to this day, so that's not great

It was a bad video but I don't think he deserves to get mocked for the rest of his life over it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Unsurprisingly it was the firmware dataminers who called it - they found this new model (codename Aula) in the FW over a year ago and determined it had an OLED screen and a new dock, but the same Tegra X1+ and 4GB RAM as the previous model.

The only thing they got wrong was thinking it would have 4k output capability, but IIRC that was justified in that they found references to a new video converter chip that supports 4k. Nintendo probably just chose that chip because it was cheap without any intention of actually putting 4k through it.

(probably wise considering the X1+ couldn't do a whole lot at 4k besides video streaming, which the Switch still doesn't do for some reason)

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 7, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The main reason do it that way (rather than FRAPS or something) was you could render out an arbitrary framerate and guarantee no frames would be dropped

Counterstrike movie makers would bake out their demos at 600fps then blend them down to 30 or 60 to get super nice motion blur, and slow motion edits without judder

You can't do that with any games past Source AFAIK, so slow motion has to be done with hacks like Twixtor

repiv fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 18, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Chill, very watchable solo tech youtuber reviews phones. Gets popular. Now does slick, far less chill youtubes about high-end phones & lambos.

MKBHDs channel has one of the most dramatic arcs I've seen, he went from here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gk_rl3y_SU

to having direct lines to Apple and Tesla lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I enjoy watching Hardware Unboxed's monitor reviews even when I don't really understand it, so without going too deep into monitor chat, what is "overdrive" and "overshoot"?

LCD panels take time to transition from one colour to another, but the bigger the transition the less time it takes. Display controllers exploit this by by "overdriving" the pixels, for example if a pixel is changing from 25 brightness to 50 brightness the controller may actually drive the pixel to 60 knowing that it will only actually reach 50 by the time the next frame interval arrives. Overshoot is when overdrive isn't tuned properly, so the overdrive drives the pixel past the value it's supposed to land on which manifests as inverted ghosting trails.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Corsair sources their designs from all over, they have some Seasonic models but the majority are CWT

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Finally a manufacturer following in the footsteps of the old Silverstone positive pressure cases :sickos:

Silverstone stuck gold with that design then just... stopped updating it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:sickos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vYDeXpVTvs

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

TheFluff posted:

This is awesome and industrial testing equipment owns, but now I'm really curious why they've covered up what is presumably the manufacturer branding and model numbers on the thing.

It didn't take long for people to identify it anyway

http://www.longwin.com/english/product/9266.html

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

gamersnexus rarely delves into image quality analysis, digitalfoundry are the main guys for that

i'm not sure what AI really brings to the table for a downscaler (it's not like they need to infer any missing information) but we'll see how it goes

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MSAA can be summarised as "supersampling but only on triangle edges", the amount of supersampling varies pixel by pixel, with pixels wholly inside a triangle not supersampled at all

Almost no modern engines support MSAA anymore (except for VR stuff) so hooking into it wouldn't work for a generic solution like DLDSR

Nvidia does do some driver-level MSAA shenanigans to implement VRSS, but that requires the game to support MSAA in the first place (hence the focus on VR)

https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/nvidia-vrss-a-zero-effort-way-to-improve-your-vr-image-quality/

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 11, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Why toss away any pixels though? It's all good data

The only thing I can think of is maybe they're using AI to drive the strength of the filter kernel at each pixel, to balance out the aliasing/blurryness tradeoff when doing non-integer downscales. OG DSR just has one big DSR Smoothness knob to dial that in across the whole image.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

To make the final image? The goal is to downscale a high-res image into a low-res one. That requires throwing away pixels.

When you supersample you're not throwing any pixels away, you're combining multiple source pixels into one output pixel, all the source pixels get used one way or another

That's straightforward for integer scales (just average 2x2 pixels into 1 pixel) but for non-integer scales the weighting needs to be tuned (which is what DSR Smoothness does, and maybe what this AI model does)

Fixing the non-integer jank would be a welcome improvement since integer scale is mostly impractical on 1440p monitors. 5K is tough to render even in older games, at some point memory bandwidth just kills you.

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 11, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I must be phrasing this in a bad way because nothing you guys are saying is contradicting what I'm trying to say. What you are describing is a fancy way of throwing away pixels. That is what I meant.

I get what you mean, throwing away pixels has a more literal meaning in scalers though (temporal methods do completely discard samples they deem to be invalid) so IMO it's clearer to call this weighting instead

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah it's going to be fairly expensive. They're pitching it as an alternative to monstrously expensive 4x supersampling, but it's still 1.78x or 2.25x the pixel count plus whatever the AI model costs to run.

The internal resolutions for 1080p are listed as 1440p (1.78x mode) or 1620p (2.25x mode). I guess for 1440p it will be 1920p or 2160p/4K internal.

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 11, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Prey is a pretty good example really, that's one of those awkward transitional games that has lots of detail but a poor TAA implementation so it's a shimmer-fest

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

AV1 getting wider adoption is going to hurt the RX 6500 XT even more

The lack of H264/HEVC encode also means it won't work with the Oculus Quest, which will probably catch some people out

Are there any other modern GPUs that can't even do H264?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

A decade ago they were handling about 1/3 of all North American traffic during peak times using FreeBSD, and nowadays they're building servers that handle about ~400Gbps of traffic each:

yes netflix pushes a lot of data around, but it's largely pushing the same data to many different users, so that data can be cached at the edge

youtube consumers are pulling a much broader set of content that's a lot harder to cache

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

do i have the extension for you!

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sponsorblock-for-youtube/mnjggcdmjocbbbhaepdhchncahnbgone?hl=en
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/sponsorblock/

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

steve tears down some stolen property

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wno4t7YqMM4

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I've heard that the main cost overhead of USB-C isn't in the connectors, but in the cables, as the terminations still need to be hand-assembled

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

exactly, he wastes money on things that can be turned into content, so it's not really a waste as far as he's concerned

he probably can't turn lack of doorknobs into content

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

I've been thinking about looking into those online tips to updating my network to filter ads in some way, but I don't really think I'm quite savvy enough to put up with the headache. Though I was also thinking of setting up a network just for my work devices, so maybe if I'm doing that it's time to try.

Network-level blocking doesn't work for YouTube ads anyway

That type of blocking can only block an entire domain, which works for 3rd party ad networks but YT serve their own ads from their own domain so you need a more nuanced method of blocking them (like uBlock)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

even if they need to clickbait in general, getting exclusive content directly from intel then naming the video in a way that baselessly makes intel sound bad is probably not a good way to get access in the future

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

hire me steve

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

What's the Leo Laporte dick pic counter up to now

It had already happened multiple times when I was paying attention to TWIT years and years ago

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

maybe i'm misremembering there being multiple dick pic incidents, but he also accidentally showed texts with his mistress at some point and later showed someone else's (allegedly his wifes?) nudes

at some point you'd think he would learn and use a different phone for work

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 15, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

he has a side channel for that kind of thing but he hasn't posted anything there for a year

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbZahXiEFVawqXjhVoh3iw/videos

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

oh right

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgeS8J9W62B-uLBgzp14BtQ/videos

not much going on there either though

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

what's the dirt on rossmann i know he's a big right-to-repair guy but i've never watched him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

unfortunately fractal is almost the only game in town for windowless cases now

the torrent looks good but the huge version is maybe too huge for my setup and the compact is apparently a pain because they shrunk the cable management space too much