Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
It could be intentional, but Hanlon's Razor also decently explains pretty much everything on Linus' end. A guy whose "tech Jackass/Red Green"-content took off saw other people doing more serious stuff, he has the cash to try to get in on it himself and the toys to do so seem cool, so he chases that because it's another thing to chase. He makes that move even though any one of his existing hustles - the merch with ever more complex custom products, the growing MCN, the conventions/LANs, the production services, the streaming service, etc. - is large enough that he should have proper, industry seasoned general managers or COOs for each one, plus the separate CEO running the show, let alone adding labs (let alone his whole Badminton-building side hustle.) He needs a "Luke" for each for these, and he clearly doesn't have that, and that's incompetence on his part as the owner with no one but outside folks like GN Steve to reality check him. Linus also openly notes on WAN that he doesn't chase the various and many IT tax breaks and production credits in BC and Canada even though he's long shot past where hiring a person for that would pay for itself because that's hard work and boring to secure.

All in all, malice would be better organized than Linus. It's no excuse, but it's clear he's in so far over his head, and there's no sign he's going to "dig up" yet.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

He'll never "dig up". That would require admitting that he's wrong, and he's got too much ego to do that and too much money for anyone to make him.

Linus is a prototypical small business owner; he has no emotional distance from the company, no ability to meaningfully delegate, and a complete unwillingess to be wrong. Between the inertia and resources of the channel size, and being more entertainment focused than the serious reviewers but crunchier than the Austin Evanses or MKBHDs, he's strongly unlikely to be disgorged as the big fish in techtube. And if he won't sell the company then no matter what the org chart says he calls all the shots, a CEO that he disagrees with just gets fired. Until he gets so far up his own rear end everyone quits or he does something that causes him to become persona-non-grata in the industry he gets to be a petty tyrant putting out whiny non-apologies forever.

Oh for sure. I feel like it's really beginning to mirror the Penny Arcade business arc, so I'd expect the CEO to bail after one foot in mouth too many from Linus and/or an offer to good to refuse, while a bunch of the other concerns under LMG eventually get sold off to other companies a la PA selling PAX to Reed Exhibitions. Very clear regardless of motive, this is on the same path IMHO.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Mooktastical posted:

I disagree with you on that. Linus basically tried that to defend the myriad of methodological fuckups Steve pointed out as basically, 'we're still new at this, it's ~growing pains~'. The thing is, if you're producing a video that you know for a fact is built on flawed data, and you decide to publish it anyway, that goes beyond simple stupidity. I could entertain it if every single case was something where they'd only realized there was a mistake after somebody pointed it out or w/e, especially if they'd done the needful and taken said content down and issued a correction in its place or something, but that apparently wasn't their SOP. Stupidity would be admitting that you forgot to take the tape off of the mouse, malice is blaming the manufacturer for not making the instructions to remove that tape clear enough. Ditto for the Billet Labs thing. Misrepresenting the product and then having the balls to double down on that misrepresentation while tacitly admitting that performance is apparently irrelevant is pure loving malice to me.

Yeah, that's a very fair counterpoint. It's one thing for them to suck occasionally, but to defend an on-going pattern with no admission of fault or introspection crosses into a particularly narcissistic kind of malice.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 15, 2023

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Kazinsal posted:

Calling it now: Linus is slowly working towards trying to revive what he thought of as the glory days of NCIX, just with him at the helm. The LMG empire will collapse because nobody wants NCIX back and the already dwindling role of "fairly helpful brick and mortar computer parts shop" has been fulfilled not only in Vancouver but all across Canada extremely well by Memory Express (who snapped up a bunch of NCIX's abandoned leases during the bankruptcy lol).

I think it worse that even that, rather he's probably got way bigger aspirations than "neo-NCIX as a mid-life."

I would guess that the backpack and screwdriver not sinking his ship probably has him thinking he can eventually become a computer accessories if not parts manufacturer in the long, long term. The new CEO fits that vision too given that they have manufacturing and retail experience, not entertainment industry experience. Besides all of the cable management stuff he has on the horizon, via the lab, he'll have all of the engineering talent and market research samples being given to him for review which his engineers can then validate what's almost perfect per his "vision," then either partner with the best option for LTT-branded and possibly slightly spec customized versions, if not contacting an OEM to make it per spec and so on. Even if that isn't the initial intent, literally all of the tools and talent will be there for it. It's billed as 3rd party review, but if the same people are already also making prototypes for the same gear that used to be sponsors for them, and they're buying sponsored videos for those products on other youtube channels, well, yeah, this is why GN Steve wants to treat them like a manufacturer - they're acting more and more like one.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 15, 2023

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Vic posted:

Well he's a youtuber that built the thing around his personality. There's a fun story Dan (his podcast producer) loves, which iirc has Linus showing a gaming area with the LTT logo prominently displayed to his employees. And he says something about LTT being about them. Somebody asks "Yeah? What does the L stands for?" and somebody else quips "It's L for Narcissist"

it's a good clip:

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxLz12zfzUlM_owzzGoRU2DqKnYP8sg4Oy

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

spunkshui posted:

LTT not uploading on main channel today.

Bet they post apology tomorrow, let writers and testers have the time they need / not upload if video isn’t ready.

Lets see how dumb linus is.

Video Title: Will losing $20,000+ a month in revenue smarten me up!?

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Romes128 posted:

Madison mentioned LMG taking some sort of managerial control over her non LMG content and taking a cut, so wouldn't be surprised if the same applied to him.

IIRC, it's been specifically asked via WAN show merch question that if Jonathan Horst from Mac Address walked, would he take the Mac Address brand with him, and it was a categorical no that he'd get to keep the branding & channel.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Mr.Radar posted:

Keep in mind that Linus got his start on the NCIX Tech Tips channel and they specifically allowed him to continue using the "Tech Tips" name when he went independent...

Oh the hypocrisy is tangible for sure with Linus not being will to give his creatives the same leeway he got. Classic pull up the ladder stuff.

Skeezy posted:

DankPods is the only good FP channel. (trash network)

:hmmyes:

I wonder at which point Floatplane being an LMG subsidiary results in creators like DankPods/Trash Network bailing. With so few creators on the platform, Luke & co. are probably in a good position to smooth things over personally with each one, but I would not be shocked if some of them, especially ones who are already set for life like DankPods, just exit for yet another platform.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Vic posted:

Yeah he made a terrible tech meme house for his family to live in for content. I mean I was watching so mission accomplished I guess.

Yeah, it's an extension of LTT being way closer to "Jackass or Viva La Bam, but computers" than a serious channel, and towards that end, it's a reminder that basically everyone in his life has to put up with that he's made his entire life into an ill-planned/half-baked content creation opportunity, including using his own surveillance footage in videos if that provides context/coverage/meme opportunities. If everything is lemons to make into lemonade, then everyone will feel the squeeze.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Mr.Radar posted:

It seems like every other lab video they would say something like "this thing we bought for $$$$ didn't end up working, so we had to buy this other thing for $$$$$" so I could easily see that happening. Apparently they can't even fully use the building they bought for the Labs because the roof isn't strong enough for the A/C systems they need to install, so they're waiting on a contractor to reinforce it?

Yeah, they also had a whole video running through the myriad physical deficiencies of the labs building after the fact, and yes, that didn't even include their current problems with the roof only being built to keep a warehouse warm in the winter, not support a full heat pump system for AC and heating, IE: proper climate control. They clearly saw something that was near enough by and not obviously falling apart come up for sale, and given the FOMO nature of Vancouver real estate and the generally lax operating procedures at LMG, they didn't do anything close to due diligence for their use case.

Worth also noting they nearly moved the whole business from Surrey in the Lower Mainland to Kelowna in the Okanogan to save money, and the only reason they backed off on that was because they were already way too big not lose significant head count as they weren't in a position to pay for relocation for everyone. They clearly really considered it though, and Luke in particular seemed keen on the idea in WAN shows.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Vic posted:

lol never thought about it like that, but that Jackass/Viva La Bam comparison is loving apt. Why does he even have cameras pointed inside his house?

I mean, from a purely practical standpoint, if I get that if he's enough of a hopeless tech nerd that he can't help but go nuts with that stuff in his house, there's value in just shooting that process and leveraging his personal surveillance too as needed, if only because the various pitfalls of that process are as entertaining as they are informative. All of the nightmare issues with wireless smart devices in the Linus mansion are a great reminder that none of that crap is ready for prime time, there's huge right to repair issues with those devices too, and so on. There's also a lot of issues that only crop up once one has a bunch of that stuff in the same real world environment fighting each other. It's not unreasonable to make that into content if the goal is capturing the real world issues.

However, this also encourages doing way more than originally intended because it can be content, rather than only doing what was reasonable/inevitable and making a point to film that. The second the cameras are encouraging over-reach and guide why something happens, that's too far. This is basically how his floors got trashed. He wanted to reboot his prank channel, it's easy to make some of that content in his house because of the camera system, and then when it goes wrong, he doesn't get mad at himself for making his life content when there was no reason for that other than sensationalism/clicks, he gets upset with the employees he charged with that job.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Vic posted:

Yeah that's what I was getting at - even biggest tech nerds go through a thought process of whether the thing makes practical sense and how to go best about it. Him yoloing the stuff with the camera crew in there for content makes sense if he lived alone, not with three little children having to deal with that nonsense. And even if he believed all that stuff would just work, it requires an IT guy to deal with poo poo in his house now.

Yeah, it's pretty clear Linus now needs Alex to handle all of the mechanical complexity of his house, and also Jake for the IT. Probably Dan for the AV too. So, three employees who probably have a non-insignificant amount of their time spent untangling the over-engineered, "house of the future" mess he's making worse by trying to rush projects to completion for content rather than specifically arrange the content to be "This Old House"-style planned chunks with clear successes and way points in mind. Again, more can't "see forest for the trees" issues.

Maybe the CEO and the outside investigator will right the ship on issues of that matter as well, but even they do, there's long term damage done, and any fixes that come out of this probably won't get the deserved gratitude the person with his name on the building.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Koskun posted:

Alex I really wouldn't trust to do something right in my house. For a goofy video using a car radiator, sure, have fun. Jake does seem to really know what he's doing for the Home Assistent, as well as the server and storage aspect. And yes, Dan is "in charge" of the AV, including blanketing the movie room in velvet or something.

Agreed. Alex is perfect for all of the "Red Green but computers", YOLO engineering projects that are in the studio, and he seems to be fine when actually given a budget and time for custom builds (that $100,000 minecraft PC for example.) That he's being leveraged for the pool water PC heat exchange cooling (itself a prime example of over-reach for the views ruining day to day life) isn't something anyone should do, let alone under pressure to get a good ending for a video, fast. Looping back to Red Green - yeah, it's funny to make a dodge into a dishwasher with duct tape, but you wouldn't want to live with it.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

New CEO needs to physically separate Linus from all technology and only give him pieces of paper until further notice.

Lock him in the RF blocking chamber in the labs for the next month for his own protection.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I mean, Luke was also keen on moving the company to Taiwan.

lol, lots of great ideas at LMG.

grack posted:

Just hire someone to follow Linus around all day and give him a smack every time he tries to type something.

I'm sure there'll be no shortage of candidates

New Channel Super Fun content: "I have to keep my BOSS from getting CANCELLED!" and it's just a super cut of Dennis tazing Linus for 30 minutes.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Branch Nvidian posted:

Yvonne must really love Linus, because holy poo poo the money can't be worth it enough to stick around.

Considering Linus was living with Yvonne at her parents' house, and it was her stable pharmacy job that bootstrapped LTT after it spun off from NCIX, yeah, the whole family must adore the guy.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
See the "L is for narcissist" clip.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Charles Leclerc posted:

Counter, counterpoint: "most smart enough people" probably represent less than 20% of the horseshit posted on the internet.

I very deliberately firewall my internet postings from my professional persona. Maybe that is a luxury from not being a professional online personality, but holy moly how on earth can you be a first generation netizen and goddamn major tech influencer and not have figured this the gently caress out on your mid 30s?

Honestly, considering it's a pattern that's existed since folks got famous enough to run conventions off of the back of webcomics and internet video series in the early 2000s, I think it's somewhat intrinsic to anyone who wields their online success towards those kind of loftier goals. Like, if the idea isn't merely "we're just gonna keep this little thing running for our little clique so we don't have to get normal jobs," but instead "we want to grow this into a huge media and merchandising if not a manufacturing company via our parasocial bonds, maybe even sell out to a conglomerate or become one ourselves," it seems to consistently result in missteps given enough time and growth. Inevitably, between a wide audience and a company bigger than ego(s) alone can manage, it goes sideways. They will always hit a Dunning-Kruger point where their self-confidence reaches farther than their actual capability/empathy, and it'll end at best in a serious apology and massive course correction, and at worst the company and it's IP gradually fade from relevance if not existence entirely.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

priznat posted:

I live here and I still can't figure out how the vancouver area can support any working population with the way things are with a lack of really high paying jobs (tech or otherwise) and absolutely insane residential rents. Commercial rents are apparently not bad though and there's a lot to choose from these days with the whole WFH transition.

TBH, a lot of people there just can't move. They have their rent or mortgage locked-in such that that so long as they can get some raises, they're not at risk of losing their home or starving. However, unless they are full WFH and can thus can move to the Okangan/Kootanays or out to Vancouver Island, they're locked in to their current residence in the lower mainland as any new lease or mortgage is likely to be much, much more than their current one. I bailed for the island so I could finally own a home because I could finesse a WFH option pre-COVID, and I've never looked back, but I also can't unless I won Maxmillions or got an amazing job offer in the city with fantastic relocation benefits.

priznat posted:

My company is looking for office + lab space now so I have a bit of a view on it, and I find it hilarious LMG settled on one of those warehouses to move into not realizing they basically become big sweaty metal boxes in the summer. They could easily get some regular office space, partition off a lab area, and have to add minimal HVAC to support it. It's not like they're running rows of server racks they just test LED laden gamer PCs for gently caress's sake.

Again, seems pretty clear it was because it was near enough to their main office that they could share an internet connection over beamed wifi dishes and later even (illegally??) temporarily microtrench fiber to it, and they had money on hand to get it, so they did it, not realizing it probably wasn't even a good place just for storage and order fulfillment, let alone temperature controlled testing. Impulsive thinking, fomo, dunning-kruger again, etc.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 16, 2023

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

TheGreySpectre posted:

I mean if Blizzard and any number of other companies are any indication it's not just small companies that have an issue treating women with respect.

FYI James is also the one to make the dancing on the table joke in the leaked meeting that was posted above.

Yeah, the tremendously rich part about this is there are extended WAN show rants with Linus going off about Blizzard and other game company scandals with Luke nodding along, and it's clearly peak "throwing stones in glass houses"/"emperor has no clothes". Even if he meant it and it wasn't kayfabe on the podcast, he wasn't capable of doing any better with his own company.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

the ROG Typewriter is what got me. :five:

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

kalleth posted:

Interesting like:

(THE NUMBERS, MASON!!!)

:eyepop:

Well, that's an interesting tell. Maybe we can just have a new channel with Alex, Emily and Mac Address Jonathan.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

power crystals posted:

Haven't they been "live streaming" old videos as a kind of weird TV syndication callback for a while now?

Yes, and it was alluded to it being part of YouTube trying to bootstrap a FAST channel offering a la PlutoTV by leveraging creators with large backlogs of content into 24/7 channels. There's already precedent for it for some of the game play channels on Pluto.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Arivia posted:

i dunno what that means but as someone who's subscribed to youtube premium if they would just get out of the way of demonetizing or doing lovely things to creators who dare to mention true crime stuff and instead just had a 24/7 channel of spooky stories not cut up to hell i'd fall asleep to that so, so goddamn much.

Basically YouTube appears to be trying make or compete with free, 24/7 streaming services like this:

https://pluto.tv/

By having YouTube's biggest creators choose their favorite content to loop in like a TV channel such as LTT is doing right now. I wonder if this will give YouTube pause about that.

Aside, on the endless spooky stories note, Pluto does run a Unsolved Mysteries channel:
US: https://pluto.tv/en/live-tv/unsolved-mysteries
Canada: https://pluto.tv/en/live-tv/unsolved-mysteries-ca

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

slidebite posted:

Well, that's a way to be as assured as possible of having a friendly, sympathetic audience.

Even with that I've seen a lot of critique as I've peaked in on the chat. Obviously as the subscriber count collapses, all that will be left are stans, but it's not completely toadies yet.

Arivia posted:

gently caress i was basically still subscribed to amazon prime just for unsolved mysteries! thank you!

Glad to help. FAST (Free Ad-supported Streaming Television) services like Pluto are still kind of a new thing, but as I hate paying for cable and streaming, they're sure nice to have.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Ignis posted:

They didn't actually post any suggestive photos, but they got a ton of dicks and clits on their OF DMs because of it.

So basically by continuing the bit, someone at the job Madison had to put up with going though all of that. That's horrid.

If that third party investigation is sincere, they have a lot of skeletons to sort out.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

the panacea posted:

Wasn't it GN Steve who called him in the middle of the night during the hack?

Yep, Steve was overseas in Asia for some kind of event and/or manufacturing tour, so the go live notification popped off on Steve's phone when it really shouldn't have, and then it's this obvious hack, so Steve called Linus' phone until he picked up, which is where the footage starts.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

the panacea posted:

Steve really is way too wholesome

Steve is trying his best to be the actually good friend. Not an enabler, but the one in Linus' circle who tells him to chill out, tells him he's had enough and so on, and in a way that couches it in the compliment of Linus being so successful and widely ambitious he's graduated from being just a YouTuber to being a manufacturer who needs to be held to those standards.

Steve paved off-ramps to introspection and better practices for a while now (though it seems they were needed even sooner.) It's on Linus that he didn't actually take the exit though.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Any time Linus’ mouse cursor gets anywhere close to a post button, he gets tased in the balls.

Finally, a new Channel Super Fun video for Dennis to make. They'll get 100 million views.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Kazinsal posted:

Now that this saga has gained national traction it qualifies for one of the nation's most prestigious forms of remembrance

This was hilarious until I realized Linus will eventually do a reaction video the memes from this saga (like that one) unless explicitly kept from doing so, and even then, it might sneak by as a merch question on a future WAN show.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

part of it is him having terminal small-business owner brain where he sees every dollar spent by the company as his money being spent, so anything he likes will get buckets of money, and anything he doesn't like or doesn't see the potential for immediate ROI he will kick and whine about

and part of it is that he explicitly stated he hated the water block and that he didn't want anyone to buy it. like, that's not an inference, he literally and specifically said that it didn't matter what data they would have got out of properly testing it because no matter what the results were he would still be convinced it's terrible and nobody should buy it.

i mean, i'm not a biz guy, maybe i don't have the right perspective or mentality, but i can't help but wonder if that'd be the biggest red flag for a hardware vendor considering sending products for early review. if Linus is willing to admit on camera he went into a review hating a product and deciding that nobody should buy it, and proceeded to gently caress up the review, who's to say he won't do it again? or perhaps has even done it before?

It definitely undermines the validity of other early access reviews from them, even just the unboxing stuff. It opens this real question of "what is sincere product reactions and reviews being done badly or well," vs. "what was approached with an predetermined editorial angle, good or bad, from the start." If the items like the Billet Labs block are brought in with the foreknowledge of "we're gonna trash this overpriced thing in the video no matter what" or that becomes the angle as they were planning the video before they'd done any basic, per spec testing with it, then at minimum, they've undercut everything they put into their lab. Half million dollar RF isolation chambers and climate controlled boxes don't mean anything if their writing staff, their on-screen talent or their boss who often wears those hats are putting their fingers on the scale rather than zeroing it every time. No one can trust the results they get weren't buffed or half-assed because of personal preference with their current state of affairs and communication.

Palladium posted:

the hardware per se just a gateway into the sweet $$$ attention economy

True enough. It's really tech Viva La Bam or computer Jackass at it's original core, even in the NCIX days where they'd highlight goofy products as much as anything anyone might want to buy for real. However, even Labs-concerns aside, there's a huge difference between setting up a bit with retail ready products being run per spec vs. running prototypes out of spec to get that attention economy payout. That latter is still deceptive even if couched the kayfabe of them just sending it, because odds are no small company was sending them stuff with the idea they'd already come to a verdict on it.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Look, MSI is just taking after Linus with regards to which cooling solutions to use with which hardware. Newer hardware doesn't work with their old heat pipes? Well, "just send er!"

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

CBD Corndog posted:

Noctua had an LTT branded fan:

and LTT is doing a Noctua coloured screwdriver:
https://www.lttstore.com/products/noctua-screwdriver

These aren't new announcements, but don't look great when you're supposed to be a technology review company.

Again, I do really wonder how long they can be called a tech review company the more they do co-branded products, let alone original, custom manufacturing. Like, they're in the middle of doing their own precision screwdriver dev now too, and yet iFixIt was/is a sponsor of their channels. Again, at which point are the Labs actually just industrial espionage in plain site? Like, "ah gee, after testing so many different [insert product vertical]s, we've found either 1) no one makes a good version of this product, so we're applying what we learned and reinvesting in the company to do it right for you; or 2) this particular product excelled in all of these tests, so we're not just calling it a must buy, but partnering with them for a special LTT edition with even better specs."

Seriously, there's no way around the fact that as it stands, there's not just sufficient walls between "serious review," "computer Jackass" and "retail product creation" in that company such that any one looking to have their product reviewed by them can know what the company's intent will be by covering the product.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

TheGreySpectre posted:

How much have they been considered a tech review company in general even before this whole debacle? My understanding was that they were trying to push towards becoming viewed as a review outlet with their whole labs things but were currently known more as a tech entertainment channel.

Reviews seem to be a minority of their posts, with a lot of their posts being more along the lines of "Look at this janky solution we came up with". Whether building a PC with parts from wish or water cooling using a car radiator, there is a lot of non-serious content. That or just streams of building a PC in general. I enjoyed watching their entertainment stuff but I always went elsewhere for my actual reviews.

True, they've always had a breadth of content that leaned heavily towards yolo/send it entertainment, but between ShortCircuit theoretically going from an unboxing channel with light reviews to something they intended to make more quantified via the labs (and which they had been introducing labs measurements in regularly,) and the increasing attempts to make their review content on their main channel more data driven when it came to product launches at least, even though it's very fair to say that serious reviews are not where they came from, it's a large part of where they were heading, at least on paper. They make too much of their own stuff already though to rule out that it wasn't just a cover for a pivot to being more of a manufacturer than having more serious review offerings.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Bondematt posted:

We absolutely need to drinking game this poo poo and watch it live.

Sip everytime:
  • Linus plays the victim card
  • Luke looks concerned or confused
  • Dan makes a bad joke and delivers it in such a way it's still funny - Upgrade to Chug if it's a joke about any of the situations themselves
  • Linus says Drama, Political, or any other word we deem appropriate
  • Linus passive aggressively refers to GN

Chug everytime:
  • Luke shakes his head in concern/confusion
  • Linus says "I just think it's funny how" (May need to be demoted to sip?)
  • Linus reveals a new detail that is worse, and doesn't get that it is worse - Upgrade to CONSUME if Luke notices and calls it out

I think even if you were just drinking water this could prove fatal.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Malaria posted:

When did Newegg or Asus die?

Edit: I guess newegg does kinda suck compared to how it was years ago.

He busted NewEgg's chops screwing people including him(!) with RMA'd products, then not accepting returns, even when unopened. It was bad:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsuVSmND84QtAQc1-VjA5gT5v6ugM1gdZ

And he settled it in person:
https://youtu.be/d1R4wbuXFII

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

CBD Corndog posted:

Tim Hortons loving sucks and letting a corpo become our national icon is shameful

Almost amazing that Canada loves hockey so much that the average Canadian tolerates mid coffee and donuts because it's historically associated with hockey. It was a little more acceptable when they were locally owned, often the only thing in many smaller towns, open early and late if not 24/7 and made the donuts in store.

Now? Nah.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

grack posted:

They've lost nearly 7000 Floatplane subscribers so far. That's ~21k in monthly revenue

~$21k/ month USD minimum, if they were grandfathered in. If we figure it's probably more like $5-10/month per lost sub, that's more like $35k-70k/month, USD. At LMG writer wages ($55-60K/year CAD,) that's up to 10ish employees wages in revenue. That's obviously a high end estimate, but yeah, it's a kick in the teeth.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 25, 2023

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Pigma_Micron posted:

There's a poo poo load of team building research out there and they basically all say it has to be this or they're, at the very best, ineffective.

I can believe it. The few times I've dealt with mandatory fun at work that wasn't just an on site party during work hours, it's either resulted in cross-site teams being reorganized such that each location then just worked on it's own as separate team, or people being flown out for the get together, only for them to decide "yeah, I'm going to find a job that won't do that," and leaving the company for greener pastures within six months. That's incredibly anecdotal of course, but it does break the idea that it's anything close to a clear signal of a good place to work.

If Linus thinks these events mean it's a good place to be for everyone, lol, lmao.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Unless things have changed , MKBHD has been an Elong bootlicker for awhile and tried to hype Teslas up early on and heap praise on Musky in general while ignoring all the awful things about him and his cars.

It feels like that's falling apart the more Elon screws up his various business ventures and the more he drives cars that are actually built well, but MKBHD sure seems like he's had to learn that Elon is a scammer the slow way, along with rest of pop tech YouTube (engineering YouTube had Elon's number a while back.)

apatheticman posted:

Did MKBHD do car reviews first?

Linus probably just saw a market opportunity and dealerships wanting to throw him inventory for review.

The car reviews from LMG are more Alex's thing, and are usually on Short Circuit so are more vibes based (though they have the labs testing the audio.) Alex does seem to sincerely enjoy the car reviews in his Canadian country-boy way. Long term, watch that be yet another channel stretching LMG thin by having Alex both reviewing cars and building $100K Minecraft PCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Former Human posted:

Next they can do a Jolt, except Ford already beat them to it with their transmission problems!!

Subscribe to Floatplane for more car jokes.

AutoLinked or DestinationAddress?