Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Marques Brownlee/MKBHD is probably my favorite because a lot of his PC videos are SFF focused.

Jayztwocents is the runner up just because of his "still cool gamer dad" aesthetic, but his videos can be a little clickbaity. His reviews tend to examine products on day-to-day practicality which is something I dont see many people actually do that well. Him and Marques are two people I think I could enjoy a long dinner with since they seem like well rounded dudes outside of YouTube.

Linus is a necessary evil for me because of the massive amount of things he reviews. His channel tends to review things first, more or less competently. Clickbait galore but I get YouTube capitalism favors clickbait and who wants to leave money on the table. Surprised no one has said it yet, probably because you're much nicer people than me, but my ears bleed when listening to Linus speak. He did a video review once where he was sick, and it was actually kind of nice to watch/listen to because that cursed voice of his wasn't assaulting my ears. I don't really hate the guy personally because I know he's attracting a certain audience (and I'd be doing stupid videos too for money.) But I get the feeling he's probably a bit obnoxious in person.

Good thread idea by the way. I used to read MaximumPC a bunch as a kid and now that print is gone, YT is the new hotness and there's a mountain of crap people to sift through.

buglord fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Linus did an amusing video where he used liquid filled copper tubing running throughout his room as a CPU heatsink. Yeah there was no reason why the video should have existed but I can say that about the hydraulic press / pointless experiment channels im subscribed to which bring me literal hours of joy.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Wirth1000 posted:

Also, Steve "Computer Jesus" Burke did a thing with this pretty interesting cooler:

for whatever reason the camerawork and the goony dude give me total TechTV vibes.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I misclicked an old LTT video and decided "what the heck, ill let it play". Linus' voice wasn't bad at all back then. I get that youtube/twitch personalities generally have to adjust their voice to appeal to a wider audience, but today's high pitched Linus sounds awful by comparison. I want to know if he's aware of the change.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

mewse posted:

Holy man now I'm imagining ben heck watching the lovely heatsink series of videos and cringing

I love your pro posting gangtag. where did you get it?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I wish Nexus guy cleaned himself up a bit. He looks like he crawled out from a goon den. That said the quality of his content is pretty good. Most of the stuff goes over my head but he sums up the important points very well.

He also seems to value trust of his viewers, so much so that he released this 25 minute cringe-train.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3n80GxU-Zs

CoolerMaster gave him a factory tour, a review case with custom filter, and literal pounds of candy filled inside. He ends up having his team spend twice as long reviewing this case to find something, anything redeeming about this case because it was performing badly in everything. After failing to find anything of positive substance, he releases this video where he pretty thoroughly reviews it, showing all the flaws, and looking genuinely upset that he's going to ruin at least a few people's days.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

snickothemule posted:

Dude owns. Duke Nukem haircut in a polo and veneers the man in single handedly keeping the 90's alive.

that teethy grin bothers me so much

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Jay from Tek Everything is a pretty sweet dude. He covers tech and home entertainment, but has a pretty big interest in ITX productivity & gaming builds. He sorta fell off the side of the earth in the past year, but it looks like he's back to producing stuff. In the age of whacky youtube personalities, its nice to see folks who are natural.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

OhFunny posted:

It's also nice to see Linus the person and not the character he plays.

Christ he's such an easier person to listen to. Don't know why he doesn't just do this.

e: Just finished it. I feel bad for hating on the dude so much because he actually seems like a really cool person to work with, not just tolerate. Thanks for postin this.

buglord fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 31, 2019

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
The accents in Hardware Unboxed bother me almost as much as Linus' voice. Still feel bad about him almost quitting youtube, its fun to rib him.

Someone here said it best about Linus:

OhFunny posted:

It's also nice to see Linus the person and not the character he plays.
I'd like to see more of him

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Upset about JayzTwoCents. He was who I watched about as much as GN. I gave up on Hardware Canucks recently because now they’re pretty much doing sponsored videos and seems to be thirsty for Razer. Sucks because they had some good itx case coverage.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
can the hardware unboxed guy please shave his handlebar mustache what in the world does he think that does for him

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Is tech deals the same channel where that guy smiles way too creepily

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Adding to above: he's an open carrying Texas chud.

Cool/ok videos, poor judgement, awkward guy, poo poo politics

I totally thought this was LGR/Lazy Game Reviews guy and felt really sad at first.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Nitr0 posted:

I used to know Linus from years back before he became a YouTube superstar and he was a nice guy.

Cheers

said it multiple times before itt but I wish he did videos as Linus Sebastian and not Linus the Youtube Star. He seems genuinely cool in his crossover vids. I guess hes stuck being that character now :(

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

DrDork posted:

The whole thing is strange as hell when NVidia is also telling people to not expect to be able to walk into a store and buy any of their cards off the shelf for at least another 3-4 months.

This sort of "ur review was mean 2 me!" crap makes some amount of sense when you're actually having to fight to get people to buy your card. It makes no sense when everyone is already falling all over themselves for your entire product stack.
quoting this from the GPU thread because its my take as well. Apparently the guy who sent the letter isn't normally known for this sort of behavior. LTT made it seem like he's on team green, because that's his job and he has to be, but he wasn't usually like this? I wonder if he was compelled to do it. Looking forward to the GN video on it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
can i complain about how bitwit's thumbnails bother me so much more compared to other youtubers

i get it, +% more clicks or whatever for thumbnails that have 😮 in them, no point in leaving money on the table in capitalism etc,

but ughhhh

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Okay I think I have an interesting one:

Are there any cool female tech personalities this thread can recommend? I’ve seen all shades of males with tech channels but I can’t think of anything mostly/exclusively women started.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
https://youtu.be/DqPPWO7kWu4

Angry Steve videos are always so good. Can someone link the “Steve ranting while mountain biking” video because that was also fantastic.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I watched the GN warranty segment and Steve put on extremely padded kid-gloves (which I think was the right call). I’d say I feel bad for Linus for his inability to self-sabotage, but this behavior is sheltered rich white guy energy so lol, lmao.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

kliras posted:

hardware canucks are also becoming more irrelevant, and they're just doing straight up ads for various companies like corsair now

Yeah I unsubbed from hardware canucks a while back because so many videos were entirely sponsored by the same company they were reviewing the product for. A lot of commenters were asking the same thing and I don’t remember getting a satisfactory answer.

I used to watch Jayz a lot more but his extremely clickbait titles and lack of vid descriptions meant I wasn’t gonna award his bait.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
The GN video that showed clips from the WAN show between Linus and Lucas made me lose all possible respect for Linus, which was weird because I still had a bit for him even if I disliked his content.

just another privileged, pasty out of touch tech nerd. get bent.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
We need a GamersNexus of apple products

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Mr.Radar posted:

Weirdly, that's the reason LTT launched their Mac Address channel with its own host. Linus identified that there was a gap in the market of Apple device coverage for someone who wasn't dependent on Apple sending them review samples and Mac Address was the result. Of course, it's still not as in-depth or journalistic as Gamers Nexus but it does seem to be better than most Apple-focused media.

Yeah I’m actually subbed to that because the host is nice to listen to. He seems to love apple products but also is critical about them if they miss the mark.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I really had no idea screwdrivers could warrant this many pages of discussion. My dad has a cool magnetic screwdriver and I have two different screwdrivers I use for tearing apart my PC which were probably 5 dollars total. I’m assuming you’d want some fancy pants $100 screwdriver if you’re a PC builder and do this 8 hours a day for a job? Man now I’m posting about screwdrivers too

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

AlternateAccount posted:

Wait is that actually him on his account? How bizarre.

I googled it because I don’t know who this guy is but I find the 3070 in a definitely-OEM computer case hilarious. But yeah it’s him, whoever he is. More power to him. Unless he sucks, then less power to him, but you can’t go lower than EVGA bronze.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
https://youtu.be/s9OKAvJg5-U

What do you all think about this? Host gives a friend a Mac Studio to do some cloth physics simulation work since he’s a fashion designer. Friend gives it a pretty fair shake but the hardware/software plays poorly with the workflow and he goes back to PC.

We were talking of Apple bias earlier and the host is a pretty unapologetic fanboy. Still, the video seems fair enough in the sense that it was uploaded, but I dunno if LMG has any incentive from Apple to use kids gloves.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Digitshill Foundry are so paid off by Nvidia that it’s unbelievable. Their 40 series coverage was a joke.

Can you expand on that? I’m not aware of their usual reviews.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Kramjacks posted:

Uh oh, looks like Newegg is at it again! Though I don't know if the person on reddit bought the card from Newegg, or a third party vendor.

Looks like one of those disks of uranium that has “DROP & RUN” etched on it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFO92PSvqms

kinda goofy but whatever, mac address is the only thing from linus media group i can genuinely enjoy (unless the redhead host is some sort of monster)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How does Starlink work with online gaming and latency? I remember back when I lived in the sticks, HughesNet (forgot the former name) was $70 in 2006 money, had ridiculous data caps and I’d get latencies of 600-800ms when trying to play online games.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Level1Techs guy seems like a decent YouTuber. I’ve been watching more of his stuff. He seems pretty socially left.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

VostokProgram posted:

They seem vaguely lowercase-l libertarian. So not assholes I think

Yeah I was on the fence about him initially. Then he said AI police sketch software is gonna inevitably result in more PoC getting arrested unjustly so I figure he’s at least on the up and up about these sort of issues instead of saying how the free market would solve this or something.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Whoever the guy is who does Mac Address videos, he is my favorite and I hope he isn’t interfered with.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

LTT does pretty good stuff overall and ride the line between 'informative' and 'entertainment' pretty well. I really have no loving idea why people hate Linus - the dude has some weird takes but if you want to stack rack All The Businesses to work for, LTT is probably pretty high on the list.

Hes whatever but his whole backpack warranty thing was handled so poorly by him and he comes off like a jackass from it.

All of this can be forgiven though by the existence of Mac Address, though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

The Grumbles posted:

Why’s this thread always hating on Brownlee. He seems nice! His content is more tech stuff from a lifestyle/everyday people perspective and less from a sysadmin/power user/tech weirdo one, but even then reviews are always pretty even-handed and thoughtful, and honestly can be a refreshing change from your engineer-brained perspectives like GN or whatever. This thread would have you believe he’s some megashill but his reviews never really play out like that.

Yeah he’s not that bad and he doesn’t appear to be playing a “character” in his videos. I like his Apple content even though he’s generally pretty hesitant to go aggro on them. I figure most people watching him while researching before a purchase are also looking at other channels for similar reviews (at least I’d hope).

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I used to listen to his waveform podcast back when he seemed a little bit more enamored with Musk, but stopped for some reason I can’t remember. I hope he’s put in a lot of distance from musk since the mask-off Twitter acquisition, but I’m too scared to confirm.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

No that’s Jayz, though I stopped watching him primarily because he dialed up his clickbait titles and thumbnails to 11 so I have no idea what any of his vids are unless I sit through them

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
That’s how I feel about Dave2D. I can’t hate for him finding a niche, but I feel like the vast majority of his uploads are just long form advertisements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Do companies like ASUS, Newegg, MSI etc ever watch these callout videos made by people like Steve or is it just a “hunker down and hope Joe Gamer doesn’t notice” sorta thing?

I remember Steve got some interview with some Newegg suits but I remember the interview being everyone speaking in cover-your-rear end corporate speak and I’m not sure if anything happened from that.