Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Just take an AIO and toss the radiator (sans fans) in the fish tank. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

With regard to the performance hit that comes with disabling EXPO...

GN Steve and his wonderful hair posted:

...with these new numbers it becomes clear that an Asus plus AMD combination is the last platform you should buy, and that's on their own recommendation.

So much shade. That got a chuckle out of me.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

njsykora posted:

I will interrupt the thread to remind everyone that certified Good Lad Cathode Ray Dude's great series on weird quick boot systems has now gotten up to a laptop that could just function as a TV.

I had a Lenovo gaming laptop from 2009 and snagged a digital tv tuner that fit into its 34mm ExpressCard slot so I could watch live OTA HDTV and record it using Windows Media Center. Technically, it worked surprisingly well, but I never ended up using it as much as I thought I would and by 2015 I had replaced that machine. Unlike CRD's machine though, my Lenovo had to be fully booted into windows which was a painful experience until I eventually put a 240GB SSD in it.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

Steve is not happy with the i9-14900K

It's still extremely pleasing to see the 5800X3D perform so well in a lot of games, as well as the newer 7000 series ryzens eating intel's lunch too while consuming less power.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The youtube homepage has been recommending a lot of smaller channels to me lately of people repairing VCR's and old hifi systems, and honestly, I'm down for it. They fuckin know my kinks.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

~Coxy posted:

David Attenborough has a WH40K channel?

Only in the other timeline. The good timeline.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Sagacity posted:

I mostly switched to Chrome because Firefox had this long period of being very bloated and having so much memory leaks it would barely last a few hours.

Yeah I vaguely remember versions of Firefox that were absolutely horrible in that regard which is why I used Chrome for a while. I decided to give FF another chance maybe 2 years ago when I got a new machine and it's been an overall pleasant experience though.

The only device I have that I still use Chrome on is my Chromebook and if it loses its ad blocking extensions the thing will be basically useless to me.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Blocking ads on Chrome on Android is a real pain since you can't install ad blocking extensions so I've been trying out different browsers on my Pixel. Firefox, Edge, and surprisingly enough my favorite so far is Samsung's simply named Samsung Internet. There's a big button on the settings menu called "Ad Blockers" and you get this screen:

Works great. Also manages to be easier on my battery than Chrome. Maybe from not having to constantly display 50 ads on every page, idk.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

"What are your thoughts on the 14th generation Intel refresh?"

*soothing pigeon noises*

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Spaced God posted:

For a while you could change how your name appears in YouTube comments but now nope it's whatever your original YouTube screen name was In 2007

If I leave a YouTube comment now it shows up as like RadTeen1995 or something now haha. I'm almost loving 40.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I don't watch his content but at the same time cancer fuckin sucks and I'm sure his kids would like to not have their father die so... I guess I'm hoping it turns out the dude doesn't have stage 4 butt cancer or something. It can absolutely sneak up on a guy and take someone out in their 40's.

I didn't know he used to be a 500lb guy.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Ugh. Now I have to get on GoG and grab a copy of SC3K because I haven't played it in like 15 years. Gonna have to check out those widescreen/resolution patches too.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Volte posted:

On a good screen, HDR is probably the biggest upgrade of all time as far as image quality.

First time I saw it on a really nice OLED, I admit to being a bit in awe. But I personally think sd to hd was a bigger leap. Growing up with 13-27in tube TV's then suddenly seeing glorious 1080i on an hd rear projection made everything that came before it immediately obsolete in my book. I can still watch plenty of 1080p sdr content and be perfectly happy.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

If you don't understand the appeal of OLED after setting it in person you prob got all the MotionPlus modes still turned on back at home too

I still see TV's out in the wild with the Soap Opera Motion Smoov setting turned on and it hurts my very soul that people watch media this way. The only reason I can think of why it even became a feature is so manufactures could include a "Big Number" on their sales placard. It looks so horrific.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Harminoff posted:

New favorite tech tuber

I now adore Linux Grandma. :kimchi:

Makes me want to grab my old Dell laptop with Mint on it and mess around. I am not a Linux knower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

This popped up on my homepage; just absolute TelCo nerds getting old phone switching systems up and running and I never would've thought I'd find it all very fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k865-VjWUk8