Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Nettle Soup posted:

I realised the other day that I have so many bloody addons to fix poo poo, so here's a list:

uBlock Origin to block ads

SponsorBlock to block sponsors and intros and stuff. I could not use youtube without this now.

DeArrow so I can rename all the stupid GDQ videos to something other than the "This STREAMER played MARIO for one hour and BEAT THE GAME TWICE" sort of clickbait they seem to be favouring atm. This one does slow YT down a lot though, even without the additional thumbnail stuff on.

An additional filter in ublock to unfuck the search and get rid of the "MAYBE YOU want to WATCH this woman have a SNAKE removed from her EAR" videos when you searched for like, "how to make bread". Legit, that's what got me to hunt this down. It's like magic.
code:
youtube.com##ytd-search ytd-item-section-renderer>#contents>:not(ytd-video-renderer,ytd-channel-renderer),ytd-secondary-search-container-renderer
(Source, the "without bloat" section)

Return Youtube Dislikes, just because.

AdashimaaTube (with Stylus) to unfuck the subscriptions and front page, as well as a lot of other layout things such as hiding the donate buttons, turning off animations and making everything a consistant colour. It can also completely disable shorts, which is nice, although it has a bug atm where it's not showing descriptions/channel names with a certain setting on.

Outside of youtube, there's Old Twitter and Old Reddit, SocialFixer for FB which removes all the ads and endless scroll. I even have one to return the image size selection boxes in google image search, although that itself has become almost useless over the years.

I sometimes think "I should chop out some of these addons, I have too many" and then I look through the list and realise that nope, that's not happening.

Even if I paid for Premium and ditched these, the search would still be hosed, the subscriptions page would still only show me 3 videos at a time on my tiny screen, and it'll keep vomiting shorts at me. gently caress that.

To add one more Clickbait Remover for Youtube: Which simply changes the manual youtube thumbnail for one of the ones autogenerated by youtube, so you get an actual random shot from the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Inept posted:

Don't forget the bundling. They bundled Chrome with a bunch of different stuff so it would get installed by default. Stuff like Adobe Reader, Java, even RealPlayer

There was also real world advertising. It was kinda wild to see billboards for a browser.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

tracecomplete posted:

YMMV, but I never use LLMs for code I can’t write, but rather for obvious stuff and tedium that I’d rather have configured to taste instead of finding something and fitting it in. I’m a pretty good developer, but like, I can dictate a problem using Whisper (my hands are beat up, and I’m clearer when speaking anyway) to GPT4 (for personal uses, at work we use self-hosted models, which are much worse) and get something that I can give a quick once-over before integrating. It’s faster for me to review it and “go back and fix XYZ” than to churn out an API endpoint or an ORM call or whatever. I’ve also found that you can make a “custom GPT” and prompt it with stylistically desirable code in ways that all prompts using that have pre-baked, and it’s had the nice side effect of, say, making it super pedantic about quality logging and error messaging. (For getting that as autocomplete rather than a chat interface, I’ve found that Codeium is really good, better than GitHub Copilot, and free to use.)

I don’t let it write stuff like authn/authz code, but I absolutely have used it to generate tests for that sensitive code; I find it helpful to either write the tests myself and tell the LLM to satisfy them, or to write the code myself and have the LLM write tests either beforehand to give some TDD red/green lights for development, or afterwards to capture the behavior of the code I’ve written.

This stuff really does work and work well as (competent) senior+ augmentation, and I think that dismissing it because the hypebros are tedious idiots is going to surprise some folks. For code at least (and maybe very little beyond code and voice-to-text transcription, but without question for those) these things are game-changers. I think it will definitely cause a future talent pipeline stall, and I don’t know what we do about that—but it’s not like I’m getting reqs for juniors anyway.

Recently my work gave me github copilot. While I insist everyone should be actually reading what its producing there are some major advantages in just helping not write quite so much rote stuff. Need to filter a collection on two values? You can write out you want do that in a comment line and wait a moment and it'll work that out for you no problem. Typing out some boilerplate that everyone ends up writing all the time ? It'll suggest what it should be, with full context of what names for your current project are.

Would I trust it with complex stuff , the actual business logic ? Absolutly Not. You are the programmer, you are responsible and you should be solving the actual problems. But drat if it isn't nice if I can just press tab and copilot just fills in a whole complex object creation in half a second.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Dieting Hippo posted:

How are you handling licenses from the code that Copilot uses to generate solutions? I'd imagine any GPL code that gets used to generate code makes it a sticky situation.

Theoretically its Not Supposed To Do That. There is actually a toggle in the github project management options for Copilot that lets you toggle is such code is acceptable in a project. In practice I don't know. There certainly have been reports in the past that it was still causing issues with potentially restrictively licensed code being included. That is not really a thing I have control over at my job. Other solutions exists, as I understand it Codeium is generally recommended for not having been trained on any code with potentially licensing issues.

Tzarnal fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 23, 2024

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

repiv posted:

the companies that initially scraped the internet are already resorting to making private deals to acquire more clean data, because they've already exhausted everything that was ever posted to the public internet over the last several decades

seems sustainable

Turns out you cannot apply "move fast and break things" as a philosophy to things like Society or The Internet because now you've broken the internet. Which is especially funny in a dark hosed up way if your plan was to monetize the internet.