Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah this is a whole thing among techies right now, retro game reproduction carts do a similar thing. Like the reproduction run of Street Fighter 2 carts where some people would randomly get a translucent green cart instead of a regular grey one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's Reilly not that interesting.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If working from home makes your PR team send emails like that, they probably shouldn't be your PR team for much longer.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I always remember that stuff as it's the volts that jolts and it's the mills that kills.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm amazed anyone picks a chair on anything but the dual requirements of won't wreck your back and won't make your butt sweat.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It depends how close your ties are to Youtube I guess unless they’ve massively improved how much money channels get from ads recently. I remember Tom Scott saying in response to a question a few years ago about how do you support yourself through youtube, “You don’t” and that most of his income came from giving talks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Is she the one who got hosed over by Vice or am I thinking of someone else?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

There’s a kitchen set in a studio in London and I’ve been there a few times so now recognise it instantly whenever it appears in adverts. It’s one of those things that makes so much sense once you’ve seen it, but up to that point you just assume most things are location shoots.

A lot of vloggers shoot a bunch of their stuff in Youtube Studios in London because they have those pre-built bedroom sets. Gives the shot at home feel without having to also have the shot at home downside of giving creepers any clues about where you live. I remember still the time a bunch of people got mad at LGR when he said he films most of his stuff in a storage locker he converted into a studio because filming at home made him feel like he had no separation of work and home life.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

He actually mentioned that when talking about the Hardware Unboxed shadowban, made a little comment that it might be time to properly update the GN website.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Steve’s one of the best for deadpan low key humour which I always appreciate in an increasingly shouty market.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Gamers Nexus heist movie to steal the gold controller when?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Harlock posted:

Guessing the checks must be great now that Linus posted sponcon about how crypto is free money and good

I thought this was a joke but no he really does have an entire video about how you need to mine crypto before the bubble bursts.

Less than a month after that video about how mining GPUs were horribly irresponsible.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Thanks for your feedback, we're functionally not doing anything about it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The game selection is pretty small really, certainly not having Control in your test suite right now (since it's the poster child for ray tracing) is a big noticable hole. For eSports stuff almost everyone else is running Rainbow Six Siege, CSGO will run at hundreds of FPS on most systems at this point while Siege seems to tax systems more and show hardware differences in clearer terms. Certainly the fact that his opinions are for sale is an easy one to push given the past week, a lot of those manufacturer talking points were also well known to be press kits given Tech Jesus was ridiculing the 8k one publicly.

The one thing I'd hold on would be the 3060 vs 1060 one, since the whole push of the 3060 was to get 1060 users to upgrade so it was a valid comparison given who the primary audience for that card was supposed to be.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Raid joke is not about it being a phone game, it’s about them trying to literally sponsor anyone who’s ever put a video on YouTube.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

At the very least he should've done what one vtuber did and have a Raid hat, foam finger and "I <3 Raid" badge made for the video. Maybe stop short of the ASMR though, I don't need to hear Linus ASMR.
https://twitter.com/nyannyanners/status/1344007745653985280

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I have to say I cannot loving wait to see what this verification system is.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/TwitterGaming/status/1373750870798704641
Portal 1 is almost 14 years old.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

It’s Aeris and people who spell it with a lisp don’t get cards.

A harsh but fair assessment.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Linus show feet.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Pretty self explainatory to me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

And the other 2 are Lamy and Nene, the other 2 5th gen girls.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think it's perfectly fine as long as your methodology is consistent and explained publicly (which GN has done, as well as explaining why they do it like that) so people can actually compare benchmarks across your site knowing everything's playing by the same rules. Running it with whatever it's like out of the box also fine since it's what most people are going to actually use.

Basically I just prefer everyone's consistent in their own benchmarks rather than constantly hunting down some theoretical "perfect" methodology.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I would also put it down to Youtubers' fear of ever being labelled "political" by the algorithm, see also times when GN Steve does an aside about never saying whether or not crypto mining is a bad thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, like it's "technically" wrong but at a point you're just talking in the terms everyone understands, and you only need to explain to someone once about why their RAM shows up at half speed in CPU-Z. Also the performance monitor in Windows and most Bios' account for that double data rate, so you'll see the actual speed in there anyway.

GN's apparently doing a big 'Memory Explained' series soon so I wonder if they'll talk about the Mhz/MT difference there.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That video is basically Steve drunk with power and it's awesome.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Romes128 posted:

How many fuckin mod mats did they sell.

According to him, the store entirely funds the company at this point. Pretty much any new product they put out sells through its initial run immediately.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

I think all of the machines they’ve reviewed so far, they said they bought at a local Best Buy.

Yeah they're explicitly buying this stuff in a way to avoid getting special treatment. Given how Steve is I wouldn't be surprised if when they did buy something direct they were having it shipped to a proxy to avoid the potential of someone recognising the office address.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFaJZq13tr8
The Dell gets worse.

E: Steve is getting spicy today.
https://twitter.com/gamersnexus/status/1399191139547336708?s=21

njsykora fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 31, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Someone in the GPU thread summed it up when they said everyone knew the card was a massive rip off and a bunch of people in the thread are still going to try and queue up for one.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

jisforjosh posted:

A 3080Ti at retail is a better value than a 3080 at scalped prices.

Shame that in the UK even the retailers are scalping (CCL gently caress off with the £2k+ prices for a £1050 RRP card).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Can't be an official account if you have a Z at the end of your site name, it just has to be like that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Worldshatter posted:

Is there a tangible benefit to twitter verification beyond it just being more difficult to impersonate you (which if you're a big personality/a business, is admittedly a big plus)?

Just noticed a lot of people going for it and getting rejected recently

You get a lot more notification filter options and some support priority based on what I've seen verified people talk about in the past. There is a tangible benefit in terms of making the site better to use.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Important GN spoilers from the community tab, they have found a good prebuilt.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Why does the car need to be able to play Cyberpunk (or any videogame) other than it's what Elon's Twitter deciples (the least cool people on the planet) think is cool.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It happens to other outlets too, but my assumption is they're not seen as big enough so companies keep thinking they can run the same playbook they do with the other smaller sites and channels. GN's talked before about MSI doing the exact same kind of "we'll compensate you for changing your review" thing with British channels so it's almost certainly not a media rep thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It’s absolutely the latter with how many other LG addresses were CC’d into those emails to HWUB.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

BBC4 sometimes has The Joy of Painting on late at night and it’s a very good thing to stumble across channel hopping at 2am.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Basically every time women find something that’s popular all the guys on Twitch scream about it being unfair and it gets shuffled away. They did the same thing with vtubers and it’s where the Twitch dress code came from as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Face for movies, voice for late night infomercials.