Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

He's not a techtuber, but I haven't found anything better for falling asleep to than TheDuelLogs, provided you don't know enough about YuGiOh for the words to make any sense. https://www.youtube.com/@TheDuelLogs

That's the same dude that does the easy WoW videos (Hirumaredx IIRC) right? Definitely nice for chill background noise stuff, but his WoW videos grated one me after a point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

There is a Yu-Gi-Oh guy I follow (MBT), who does Shorts on occasion, and I like his thing, he finishes the runtime with a sentence that argues into the first sentence of it, so it loops pretty seamlessly. I'm still not going to watch all of it twice, but it's neat

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

trilobite terror posted:

handbrake now, while you/they are relatively young

Did this a few months ago, had some old VHS from a magazine, I got them converted to DVD, then Handbraked the DVDs to files. Worked like a dream, now I scan see all the new cars from 1998!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

trilobite terror posted:

are they on the youtubes?

They can be. It's all Greek so the audience is already limited, but it shouldn't be too hard to just upload them.

Half the reason I wanted to save them was to make sure they aren't lost, since we recently sold off the magazines and the tapes were pack-in for a year and a half.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Shipon posted:

I think there is something to be said about him not picking more recent and popular games. Who the hell is playing Tomb Raider? Cyberpunk is a more relevant game especially given only a few months ago the game was overhauled with new DLC and everything.

I trust Steve but I don't think he's above being criticized for not having a more relevant set of games.

Always thought the idea was to test with a known factor, rather than something fresh and still getting updates that could affect performance.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Former Human posted:

I'm nervous that once I build a new $2000 PC I will just end up loading a Doom 2 source port with going down dot wad again.

Some of the games I've played the most in my 2021 new PC have been Melvor Idle, Marvel Snap, Cookie Clicker, and Vampire Survivors

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

evobatman posted:

One of the most hilarious things I've seen is turning on smoothing on Star Wars ep IV on my TV, and watching it go from cinematic masterpiece into a Doctor Who VHS.

I want to try that with something like Seven Samurai, now that you mention it.

Also, if your copy of Star Wars includes multiple languages/subtitles, I tried a short bit of it some years ago with subtitles only and just the soundtrack, and it worked very well.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

tokin opposition posted:

just use a phone that runs java, that should be sun compatible

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Taima posted:

Thanks yall I really appreciate the explanation re: youtube premium 1080p, :cheers:

I've been trying to find a video where it makes a difference and will report back if that happens. It's not the reason I sub to Youtube Premium or anything, so if it ends up being a lame feature in practice, that's fine. Honestly, just the ability to play youtube videos while the phone screen is off is enough to qualify the purchase for me.

I pay for a family subscription and have friends and family added onto it as some kind of community service lol

I'd mention NewPipe as a YouTube client for the phone that lets you do that, but I'm not sure how it deals with subscriptions or other people on there.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Randalor posted:

When Wendy's poo poo-talked the competition and roasted people who (literally) asked for it, those were funny. This is just racist "Your name sounds rude" comments. There's no joke here, no playful jab.

Yeah, this. I had no issue with Dbrand taking the piss out of Linus or just good-natured ribbing. Hell, I can see the joke in literally mailing someone poop ("Send me poo poo" "Ok, shipping you an order of poo poo"). This is just "Lol foreign man name", it's nothing but racism. At least when MJF did it to Takeshita in AEW it was kind of mocking the internet racists, but it wasn't a good one then either.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

SpartanIvy posted:

Our central printer system is setup so that after queuing up a print job, you walk over to the printer you want, swipe your bade, and then it either prints everything under your ID or lets you select which job(s) to print if it has a touch screen on the printer. Pretty nice way to save paper, make sure things don't get forgotten on the printer, and avoid assholes throwing away your stuff.

Ours works the same (with a PIN option as well, if you don't have your badge set up), it lets you pick what to print, since all the printers I've noticed have a screen. Also does scanning to email, but on Macs you have to set up each printer manually, no centralized one. There probably is a program for it, we just haven't used it yet.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

A few? If anything it feels like they're all on Switch.

I think part of the issue is that I don't know how you separate out people who are playing on PC because Fortnite's free and dad's potato business laptop from two jobs ago runs it fine vs. people who buy and pay for non-FTP games. I'm lightly googling some figures to see if I can get an apples to apples comparison, and while I can't find info on specific titles I"m sure finding stuff about how phone game income is double consoles and PC combined, and I strongly suspect that MTX is going to be a big driver of PC profits as well. See: Fortnite etc.

Maybe this is my own gamer chauvinism showing, but I'm drawing a mental line between "person who plays video games consistently as a hobby" vs "person who has ever played a game." Like, is my mom a "gamer" because she has Candy Crush on her phone and launches it once every other week?

When I think about people who are actually going out and buying a new title once or twice a year it feels like that's much more skewed towards consoles.

edit: again, this is all bad anecdata so maybe I'm just full of poo poo. But the way the market is defined feels dumb to me and like a lot of dissimilar groups are being lumped together.

That mental line is perfectly fair for a specific distinction, but it depends on what number you're looking for. Are you looking for "people who identify as gamers and whose primary platform is pc", or are you looking for "people who primarily play games on pc"?

My dad has multiple thousand hours logged in Steam. He exclusively plays workshop levels in Picross Touch, but he probably does more of that in a week than I've played any individual game all April. Yet between the two of us, I'm the one calling myself a pc gamer, and he's a pensioner with a woodworking hobby.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Frankly I kind of like his talking head bits. If i just want to roll around in chart gore the website is good for that and at the end of the day all I really care about is a run-down of whatever the latest video card du jour is.

On the rare occasion that I'm actively shopping and need to see where, exactly, the NVidia ASROCK PGA PRO EXTREME 4200 vs the AMD EVGA TURBO PROP 6969 ANIME EDITION then I'll start flipping through charts, but for the other 99.99% of my life I'm mostly just looking for someone to tell me what's new and if I should care.

That's how I watch GN too, when I do. Talking head bits for an explanation, skim/skip the charts, but when I was shopping for a GPU, I was going through it all to hear what he had to say about the results.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Branch Nvidian posted:

I hope GN never devolves into algorithm chasing clickbait sponsored content slop. When I click on a GN video I know exactly what I'm getting myself into and it's why I'm there.

I want them to do an April Fool's video like that. Thumbnail of Steve doing the mouth open eyes bulging look, sponsored by some junk, and the rest of the video is an actual GN video of whatever the clickbait title is.

"Is NVidia DYING?" and it's analysis of their Q1 financial report with the conclusion "no"

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

My default behaviour is opening stuff in private browsing. If I want something to count, or add it to watch later, open it logged in. Keeps my algorithm tolerable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

My two cents is that there's nothing inherently wrong with current phone design, the problem lies in a business model that depends on you buying a new one every year and marketing that encourages everyone to do just that. If you go ~5 years between phones all lot of that stuff comes in handy, and by the time you're junking it it probably would have been slow and feature-poor enough that you would have been ditching a brick of a phone with swappable batteries, user-serviceable screens, etc.

But, you know, gotta buy this year's latest device.

edit: and frankly devices being every tech nerd's dream of user serviceability and repairability wouldn't stop a poo poo ton of normal users from buying the latest iPhone/Galaxy/etc every year anyways. I'd really like to see numbers on how many iphone owners keep their phone long enough to start seeing serious battery degradation.

Besides the obvious culprit (capitalism), isn't that the use case already? Most people I know don't replace just to be on latest and greatest every year, but rather every 3 or so, say 3-5 depending on budget and averages. And for the people that want to replace stuff, they can spend the extra on Fairphone or a similar option.

Obv, we're not the typical consumers, but I was on a Galaxy S4 in 2012, upgraded around 2018 to a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5, and then within the last couple of years to a Galaxy A53. It's always been due to the device starting to fade (battery, specs, etc), rather than needing the latest. Sure, I wouldn't kick a fancy new flagship if I was offered one, but it's just not worth the difference at this time, and that's a sentiment I've heard around a lot, most "scheduled" replacements seem to be from carriers/work, rather than "well the iPhone 16 is out, better upgrade from the 15!"

Not that those folks don't exist, but I don't think they represent the majority of consumers. And a lot turn their phone in for replacement which cuts down on waste, since they often get refurbished and sold again, rather than a new one.