Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

The best tech channel on youtube just uploaded a new video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmcZsQXOKEA

Wtf did I just watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

So what does it prove? Yes some games may fit decent textures in 8GB. :confused:

But it's not an infinite capacity and will run into more and more limitations, and I'm sure as hell not paying $500 for an 8gb card when that's what my 1070 had on launch in 2016

I agree that we shouldn't be stuck with 8 gigs anymore and devs can easily find justifiable ways to utilize more VRAM. But these games with tons of performance issues don't have nice enough textures or do any cutting edge visual stuff to justify needing more than 8GB of VRAM. They're just really poorly optimized.

I got a feeling these big AAA studios/publishers just aren't willing to pay good enough money to hire and retain people who have the expertise to truly understand and fix such complicated stuff anymore. People like actual systems engineers and such.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

njsykora posted:

More likely those people left the industry in the last few years and no-one's still around with that knowledge because the games industry loves to chew up and spit out talent on the assumption there'll always be someone to replace them.

That sounds likely as well, I was thinking of those people leaving too when I made the point. I haven't seen anyone talk about the massive technical issues in AAA games from this angle. Would be nice if someone looked into it.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Klyith posted:

Youtube has never been able to stop youtube-dl, to the extent that they tried legal threats instead of technical ones.
That's going to be my solution if they really manage to kill adblocking. I will watch way less videos and I'll download the ones I really really want to see.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

My first pc had Core 2 Duo something

Blurb3947 posted:

poo poo, I was 13 when I joined the forums so I could see that being the case. Although dorky teenagers are probably much different than what was around in the early 2000s

You're 14 now?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

We need to reinvent gods so that they can all come arrest HP, because they have commited not just crimes and felonies like the title suggests, but actual sins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssob-7sGVWs

I felt such a sense of deja vu watching this video. Have I seen this before somehow? It's not a reupload, right? Did he cover this laptop and its sins in another video? I'm 100% sure I've seen a lot of it before, like, I was able to guess most of what was going on before he explained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Okay, I did read these way back yeah. I remembered it was just about the Hyperspace, but it was a lot more.