Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

Do they do anything besides LTT videos? Or are they at a point where it's all self sustained, i.e. just make videos about making youtube videos or the equipment to do it.

Looking at the (large) building they're in and staff they have, it's clear that LMG is a pretty significant production company and I'd bet Youtube isn't the biggest part of their business. They make commercials and corporate promotional videos and probably training videos and poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Most of them aren't even from Texas, they moved there to be weird

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Nowher posted:

So glad I found this thread, I follow way too many terrible PC youtube channels for my own good. Happy to see the universal praise for Steve aka tech jesus. :)

Just watched an entertaining one from him reviewing one of the most idiotic cases ever.

My favorite GN videos are the "Disappointment PC" builds. Every year, at the end of the year, Steve takes the worst components tested that year and builds an awful rig out of them.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Vermin Supreme?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Since we're talking about Linus as entertainment, I'm going to link my favorite LTT video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YigN2mkQMPc

This seems far less researched and scripted than most of their videos, and you can tell he's really getting frustrated.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

surprised he's not packing heat for his jog

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Some Goon posted:

Probably concealed.

zap carry :hmmyes:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

the hardware store he bought the wrong fuse from could have sold him the right security bits

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

lol some nerds are salty at the Retro Man Cave guy rebranding his channel to take Man out of the name to be nice and inclusive

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Disappointment PC build video is coming

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

lol I just watched Digital Foundry's 6900XT review and they did the same R A G E M O D E sound effect as GN

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

lol at their blindfolded crew all saying the Aeron feels like a cheap knockoff of an expensive chair

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I had to replace my chair recently and the #1 thing I looked for were very padded armrests. I don't know how anyone can stand the very thin hard ones most chairs have.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've been looking forward to the Disappointment PC since Steve reviewed that case months ago, unfortunately this video was mostly just a recap of things that annoyed him over the year.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think LMG also produces corporate training and marketing videos

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

priznat posted:

Stuff like this is why cheaper manufacturers like nzxt give me the willies.

Cheap they may be, but this is a $350 case

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I assume everything Linus does on his show is a bit

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Worldshatter posted:

man idk at what point of buying 50k of stock for a "bit" does it stop becoming a bit

assuming he actually bought it and isn't just meming but idk I guess he probably has full financial control of the company if he really wants to spend money without getting advice

He's got a $30,000 TV in his living room. Setting 5 figures on fire for his show is, at some level, just a normal expense.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

When it fails they get to make another video about that.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

mA posted:

I find their current videos very refreshing, especially when they start off any video about GPUs by acknowledging how meaningless GPU reviews are at the moment.

"Welcome back to Hardware Unavailable"

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I guess making up consistently wrong predictions about future GPUs should lend itself well to other grifts

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

yeah but you can't take a 8k RED camera to a pawn shop and not expect them to call the police, the gold controller you can probably just melt and then you've got a lump of gold

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

Didn't he say/imply he has gently caress-you money by now?

I think a lot of his income is from shilling for things via sponsored videos like this. He just timed this one poorly.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Steve has a retail 11700k now so I'm sure every reviewer on the planet will have one and be pointing and laughing at Intel by next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgFlB0HG_84

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Perplx posted:

I thought Linus review of 8k gaming on the 3090 was very uncritical, but also did he pursued any real person to waste their money? Probably not. The intel stuff is annoying also, intel basically gave $5k to every on screen employee. I wouldn't call Linus a fraud but he's definitely a shill in his sponsored videos.

I rewatched that video to refresh my memory of it and while it's certainly an ad (with a giant SPONSORED BY NVIDIA banner at the beginning instead of the usual "includes paid promotion" fine print), it's just as much an ad for a $30k TV as it is the card.

He followed it up with another video comparing the 3090 to a 6900XT at 8k and the AMD card was about as good at anything without RT on (and noticeably better at a couple games)

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 19, 2021

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Nice Van My Man posted:

His reason for delaying the launch another week was that their gamer verification system wasn't working. I can't imagine how he's going to verify gamers, and to add to that I'll bet the majority of scalpers and miners are gamers as well anyway, so they should have no trouble getting through the verification.

Also delayed because they didn't realize they had to show US customers the full post-tariff price in the shopping cart in the store and their store wasn't able to do that before.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Acer Pilot posted:

i've never seen any of this person's videos or heard of them until now. is this just a publicity stunt? i looked through their channel and they mention being "shadow banned" on youtube and calling for a new platform to be created. perhaps a parler for "tech journalism!?"

I watched a few of their videos months ago and I'd rank them in the same category as Adored and MLID, that is to say I told youtube to stop showing me things from this channel. Think I made the right call.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I know nothing at all about old console games, we were too broke when I was a kid for Nintendos and what not. I had a computer and that's all I know, which is why I build PCs and want a new graphics card now. RIP I'll never be a verified actual gamer

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

Also weird to see goons defending the flaming of that Verge video. Anybody failing a True Verified Geek test on The Verge or it's network of affiliated sites gets hounded to death by 4chan & Friends because angry reactionary men on the internet hate that the editors of that blog network have a culture war opinion about diversity being good and aren't afraid to say so. It's just an echo of the exact same poo poo we saw over Polygon videos of Dean Takahashi playing Cuphead poorly and still getting poo poo for it years later.

The Verge build video was indefensibly awful and you do not have to like something just because the wrong people also dislike it.

Edit: and I'm not saying it's right to harass the guy about it years afterwards, just that you don't gotta hand it to him for his absolutely terrible PC building disinformation video that happened to make chuds (who are mad at everything) mad

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 24, 2021

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

BitWit seems like a piece of poo poo and I remember watching one of the videos he did with his now ex wife and getting a bad vibe from it, like she wasn't exactly doing it willingly, let's say. Not saying he threatened her or anything but she didn't want to be there. Plus his Lyle act. I think he's certainly capable of being a funny guy, but lots of comedians are lovely people, too. It is a bit disheartening to see tech tubers I like who don't seem to have a problem with that.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Of course insufferable online nerds are insufferable online nerds, but aside from that, one of the reasons the Verge video got a lot of traction because it wasn't just a 'bad build', it was so bizarrely wrong from just the perspective of getting the 'human being who has never put an Ikea desk before' to host it. There's not knowing DIY PC's well enough, then there's just apparently not having experience with you know, everyday objects

"So, you need to put this equipment together that uses screws. What you need is a swiss army knife, which if you're lucky, has a screwdriver"

It would definitely be possible to make a video where someone who has no idea what they're doing builds a computer wrong as a joke, for the comedy value and then maybe go through and explain all the mistakes and how to fix them. In fact I'm pretty sure Linus has done that a couple times (or Steve reviewing the Walmart PC). That's not what the Verge did, though.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I put the case stickers that came with things on my case back in 2005. Now I just toss them.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

EngineerJoe posted:

Yeah I bought 32 Gigs of G.SKILL Trident Z Neo in October for $230CAD and now it's on sale for $304!

Yeah the RAM I paid $128 for about 8 months ago is $173 now.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Grumbles posted:

Building PC's - at least gaming pcs - has always been a rich kid hobby though? When I was a kid/teenager, it was only the people from rich families who had high end PCs (and then thru my 20's when I wasn't earning all that much it was only friends who were into games but also worked in finance or whatever who had the nice PCs). The rest of us made do on our janky Compaq family computers, or whatever old laptops were handed down to us.

My first "building PCs" experience was from taking apart cheap old computers and putting them back together and upgrading them in cheap but effective ways. That's harder than it used to be as modern prebuilts from companies like Dell and HP are now full of proprietary parts and have the bare minimum power supply to turn on.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

He drops stuff by accident, but it's usually boring stuff we all drop like screws. But people started noticing it and it became a joke so now he sometimes drops expensive things. Maybe some of it is fake but I doubt Linus is above destroying something expensive for views.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Thanks Ants posted:

No doubt he can afford it all but I can't get on board with just turning stuff into e-waste for clicks

his editing department retired a bunch of Mac Pros (the giant aluminum one that came before the trash can), he had a couple pallets of them, and he figured they weren't worth selling due to the very high shipping cost, so one of the events at LTX that year was the Mac Pro Toss

throw one the furthest and win

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

if most motherboards already run without the power limits right out of the box, then the performance measurements captured by GN aren't so "realistic" or "practical". They're consistent against their own testing methodology across all Intel CPUs, but might not match what the user is actually getting unless they go out of their way to re-enable the limits. To GN's credit, if you watch one of their videos reviewing an Intel CPU then you know that the limits exists and might even think of reenabling it, but in this case HWU has a point in that what they're measuring is the out-of-the-box experience.

I think there's a place for both of those methodologies in testing. Be kind of boring if every reviewer did things the same way.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ian is right, of course. Linus is also right that the ship has sailed on people saying it right.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

CaptainPsyko posted:

it’s only actually confusing to, essentially those folks who are smart enough to go poking around or installing monitoring software but also too dumb to understand the outputs of said monitoring software or Google when it doesn’t seem to make sense.

This is DDR4-3200 why is it only running at 1600MHz did I gently caress up a setting is there something wrong with my new motherboard

-Me, for about 10 minutes before I remembered what DDR actually means

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Asrock obviously shouldn't advertise compatibility with CPUs its board can't run at their stock clocks.

But also, gently caress Intel for making CPUs that can't hit their advertised clocks with less than 200W.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

K8.0 posted:

How? How do you do this? This is getting so ridiculous that it's hard to believe it's real.

Every computer that gets shipped will be dropped. Every computer that gets shipped will be thrown. If UPS or FedEx- especially FedEx- see a box that looks like it COULD have a computer inside it, that box will be dropped, thrown, and kicked for good measure. That's why computers get shipped with those stupid foam bricks inside you've got to remove, and one reason why real computers that cost a lot of money like workstations and servers are solid and heavy.

iBuyPower not packing the computer well enough to survive shipping is thus a problem entirely on them, but even worse is how they ignored Steve's emails about it for a week